Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree89Likes

Thread: Truck Crashes Into Crowd Celebrating Bastille Day in Nice, France

^^^I'll never get "Zwarte Pete" and the tone-deafness of the Dutch and Belgians as to why it might be offensive to some of their citizens of color. They claim not to be as racist as the US - there are a lot of interracial couples in Holland - but the racism is there. And the growing number of right-wing groups is scaring me.
    panic likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

This so unimaginably awful. Those poor people just gathered for a celebration. I'm just waiting on the asshole gun nuts to come out and say see are you gonna ban trucks too.
    faithanne and arie_skop like this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

^^Yeah, and they're not able to put things in perspective, either. You can't even begin to explain that you can understand how terrorism such as this begins, what one of the origins is, without being tagged as a terrorist sympathizer or, worse, even a possible terrorist yourself. I totally denounce every form of terrorism, but that doesn't mean I don't see how some groups that have been oppressed or denied the most basic rights for so long are frustrated and in some weaker elements frustration can't be controlled and can potentially lead to excesses such as terrorism.
    And certainly the unwillingness to see their own part in it, the continued denial, lies at the root of many instances of violence, whether it's protests in the US against (police) racism, demonstrations in The Netherlands against Black Pete or the extremes of this extremist muslim terrorism. I'm not, in any way, saying these are all on the same level, obviously, as far as degree of frustration goes, but one of the reasons at the root of all these things is the denial of the other side regarding their role in history which to some degree has lead to the escalation of things.

Added info after a press conference of the French district attorney: 84 dead, amongst whom 10 children, 200 wounded, 50 in critical condition, 25 in coma, so it's likely the death tolll will rise.
    Last edited by HWBL; July 15th, 2016 at 10:21 AM.
    stella blue and BITTER like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

^I grew up in a very Irish Catholic environment and was educated in the system by an order of Irish nuns, and they didn't even try to hide their sympathies for the IRA.
    BITTER likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

^^^I knew Irish-American people who celebrated when Lord Mountbatten's yacht was blown up back in the 70s.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Yesterday, I mentioned seeing a photo on Twitter of a little girl who had been killed in Nice and her doll just left there by her side. A Brazilian political cartoonist drew this cartoon of the doll crying for the little girl. Usually I don't cry over these events, I guess it's the distance or I'm just really hard-hearted but this one is different and it's really making me weep. That poor little girl and everyone else but especially all of those kids.

I'll add the sad picture I was mentioning for context. Precious little girl. (I wasn't sure if it was too disturbing, so I didn't add it earlier but it goes with the cartoon and is so tragic.)

Last edited by Neptunia; July 15th, 2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Photo Context
    Janus and arie_skop like this.

I understand the point of the cartoon but without the explanation I thought it was a miniature Ghandi crying for the little girl and I was confused. :/
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

I've got no tears left. I feel frustrated and numb and paranoid and angry and bitter because of all the carnage happening simultaneously worldwide and there isn't a damn thing we can do about it. Don't know what to do next.
    Brookie, rollo, gas_chick and 2 others like this.

I was working out with my wife and kids this morning, and I was looking at news updates and I noticed that the first American victims identified (a 51-year-old dad and his 11-year-old son) were almost exactly the same ages as my son and me. That definitely hit home.

ETA - great headline from the Daily Mail (of all places) about this guy and whether he was really a jihadist or not:

EXCLUSIVE - 'He drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs. He was NOT a Muslim - he was a s***': Truck terrorist's cousin reveals he is an 'unlikely jihadist' who beat his wife and NEVER went to mosque

Last edited by MohandasKGanja; July 15th, 2016 at 01:46 PM.
    Brookie, BITTER and HWBL like this.

Those poor people, the dead, the dying, the injured, the missing and all their families and especially the kids. RIP.
    HWBL and Brookie like this.
    I have some famous friends and I have mostly not famous friends.

Gold Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I was working out with my wife and kids this morning, and I was looking at news updates and I noticed that the first American victims identified (a 51-year-old dad and his 11-year-old son) were almost exactly the same ages as my son and me. That definitely hit home.

ETA - great headline from the Daily Mail (of all places) about this guy and whether he was really a jihadist or not:

EXCLUSIVE - 'He drank alcohol, ate pork and took drugs. He was NOT a Muslim - he was a s***': Truck terrorist's cousin reveals he is an 'unlikely jihadist' who beat his wife and NEVER went to mosque
    A lot of the crazies are very hypocritical. Like rich Princes in a lot of those countries. They have orgies and get drunk. But still expect everyone else to live by the book.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by joebob View Post
    A lot of the crazies are very hypocritical. Like rich Princes in a lot of those countries. They have orgies and get drunk. But still expect everyone else to live by the book.
    I still refuse to judge all by the actions of a very, very few.
    Janus likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

He will get branded a terrorist just because he's Muslim.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    He will get branded a terrorist just because he's Muslim.
    Well, he IS a terrorist, regardless of whether he's officially aligned with any particular group.
    rollo, dexter7, LaFolie and 3 others like this.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Well, he IS a terrorist, regardless of whether he's officially aligned with any particular group.
    [extremely sick and tired scarcasm] Not in 2016! Now you have to be Muslim to qualify as a terrorist. Everyone else is just a wannabe or mentally ill [/extremely sick and tired scarcasm]
    HWBL, Janus and twitchy2.0 like this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information