Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Tragic Story of Tyler Clementi, Rutgers' Webcam Voyeurism Victim

I don't think the purpose of prison is to make someone a better person. I thought we gave up on the rehabilitation lie 30 years ago.

I wonder if the people thinking his treatment was too harsh would feel the same if he had tried to webcast an unsuspecting young girl .
    aggie and Seapharris7 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    I think the whole situation was a lot more complicated than it appears on the surface. I can see it from both sides, although maybe I'm just projecting. Tyler and Ravi were both freshman, and it was the first few weeks of school, right? Sexual orientation aside, it can be weird and uncomfortable sharing a room with a virtual stranger and figuring out what to do during when your roomie is having a sexual encounter. When you add that to Ravi probably having some homophobic tendencies--whether he recognizes it or not--and maybe not 'getting any' himself while his roommate is getting action--and then factor in being an immature asshole...
    Good post but I want to add my point of view that it is really not fair to paint Ravi as this evil person. Quite frankly, I am stunned that the media (edited to add: more likely event of Tyler's suicide) has brushed under the table the fact that Tyler went online and picked up this random 30 year old stranger to bring to the dorm. Behavior like this exposes both Tyler and his roommate to danger. And I really think that Tyler's behavior was disgusting and shown complete disregard to his roommate's personal safety and his possessions.

I remember when I was 18 years old and I was scared of older men. If these were two girls rooming together, and one girl would bring a random older guy to the dorm room, most likely there would be a complaint to the university and the situation would be taken care of.

I believe Ravi when he said the guy looked sketchy and that was why he initially turned on the web cam. Only a 30 year old vagabond would go to a child's dorm room instead of bringing him back to his place.

A lot of boys have a hard time articulating fear and complaints. Many times they resort to other means of expressing their displeasure. What Ravi did was not right and carried a huge penalty: potential expulsion from school, suspension, permanent record.

However what Tyler did was incredibly dangerous and Ravi should have reported him to Rutgers and let the authorities deal with it. No 18 year old should have to deal with their roommate bringing strange adult men in the room. And while Ravi may not have been afraid, and even if he was he probably was unable to articulate fear, bottom line was that the situation probably looked threatening and unsavory: older scruffy man with very young looking boy.

The whole posturing and anti-gay remarks - including the web cam- is a way for a boy to articulate fear and displeasure at a situation without coming off as a sissy. Many men are discouraged from openly discussing their thoughts and instead adopt insensitive forms of expression. So while he comes off as a jerk, deep down inside he was uncomfortable with the situation.

Let's blame the victim some more, shall we?
    Lalique likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Let's blame the victim some more, shall we?
    I don't think the victim has received any blame in this case.

Well, deep down inside he is still creepy pervert. He made his own choices. There were other routes he could have taken that would not have wound up in a court of law and/or a suicide.
    greysfang likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by soogar View Post
    I don't think the victim has received any blame in this case.
    No, I meant your post quite blatantly implied he needed some.

Silver Member

No, I meant your post quite blatantly implied he needed some.
    Well people can't really see clearly what that kid did. I have no clue if Ravi would have felt compelled to turn on a web cam if Tyler had brought over a peer to the dorm room. He may have done the same thing and whether or not the kid would have still committed suicide because he kissed a peer is pure speculation. What he did do was troll the internet for sex, bring back an older 30 year old man to his dorm room in complete disregard to his personal safely and his roommate's safety. Just because nothing happened doesn't justify that kid's behavior. No one wants to really examine the kid's behavior (or his partner's) because he committed suicide. But what he did was dangerous and if the situation was a robbery/murder/rape, there would be a different kind of furor.

An 18 year old should not have to deal with a 30 year old man in his room.

Elite Member

Well, deep down inside he is still creepy pervert. He made his own choices. There were other routes he could have taken that would not have wound up in a court of law and/or a suicide.
    Yes. No matter how hard I try to get inside the head of being a stupid, careless, immature 19 year old guy, I cannot imagine EVER doing what Ravi did to another person. For any reason.

I believe Ravi when he said the guy looked sketchy and that was why he initially turned on the web cam. Only a 30 year old vagabond would go to a child's dorm room instead of bringing him back to his place.
    It doesn't explain inviting other people to watch, though, does it?

An 18 year old knows damn well what else he could have done about it.
    What he did was worse than the original crime, IMO.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Well people can't really see clearly what that kid did. I have no clue if Ravi would have felt compelled to turn on a web cam if Tyler had brought over a peer to the dorm room. He may have done the same thing and whether or not the kid would have still committed suicide because he kissed a peer is pure speculation. What he did do was troll the internet for sex, bring back an older 30 year old man to his dorm room in complete disregard to his personal safely and his roommate's safety. Just because nothing happened doesn't justify that kid's behavior. No one wants to really examine the kid's behavior (or his partner's) because he committed suicide. But what he did was dangerous and if the situation was a robbery/murder/rape, there would be a different kind of furor.

Because there's no point in examining the victim's motives. He brought someone back to his room to fuck just like millions of college kids do. Why are you trying to make it into some big scary thing?
    faithanne and Lenny like this.

Silver Member

Because there's no point in examining the victim's motives. He brought someone back to his room to fuck just like millions of college kids do. Why are you trying to make it into some big scary thing?
    Because it is a big scary thing. A 30 year old man is intimidating to an 18 year old boy/girl.

If he picked up a peer or a classmate, I believe the situation would have been less threatening to the boy.

Tyler's hookup was actually 25 tthough may have looked older to Ravi and definitely unsettled him. So I can write down his first snooping incident as being uncomfortable and concerned about his posessions or what have you.

But then you have his tweet about seeing his rommate at it and then his failed attempt at setting a viewing party. He is a bigot and a bully and I'm glad he was punished. Maybe the next person will think twice before pulling something like this. I'm just sad that it took Tyler taking his own life to get all this attention and that even now that prick Ravi refuses to accept that what he did was wrong.
    McJag and Lalique like this.
    What if Superman is psychotic and everyone can see that he's Clark Kent but they just play along not to set him off?

Gold Member

Because it is a big scary thing. A 30 year old man is intimidating to an 18 year old boy/girl.

If he picked up a peer or a classmate, I believe the situation would have been less threatening to the boy.
    Ravi was laughing and joking with his friends about the hookup(s). He couldn't have been that scared. He was so "scared" he watched them not once, but twice - and invited his friends to watch along with him.

In fact, he seemed like he was having quite the blast watching Tyler and his friend.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    Tyler's hookup was actually 25 tthough may have looked older to Ravi and definitely unsettled him. So I can write down his first snooping incident as being uncomfortable and concerned about his posessions or what have you.

But then you have his tweet about seeing his rommate at it and then his failed attempt at setting a viewing party. He is a bigot and a bully and I'm glad he was punished. Maybe the next person will think twice before pulling something like this. I'm just sad that it took Tyler taking his own life to get all this attention and that even now that prick Ravi refuses to accept that what he did was wrong.

I dont think the highlighted part is talked about enough. As someone brought up a former racist GR member that has since been outed by the community here, I would LOVE to believe the reason his "viewing party" failed is because his peers told him what he was doing/trying to do was fucked up.

Too bad no one reported prior, but I do think some classmates may have told Tyler & that's how he knew or had his suspicions. I only wish he didnt have to kill himself for this all to be brought to light. And Ravi seems like a cocky asshole who thought he could get away with NO punishment, evidence by him refusing the plea deal.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    An 18 year old knows damn well what else he could have done about it.
    Absolutely not. 18 year old are still kids. Most gay kids I knew in college did not bring partners to their room unless they knew their roommates well. Even then, they wanted to keep their personal business to themselves. This kid barely knew or liked his roommate and still wanted to bring a strange man to the room. I don't think a person should be discriminated against because of orientation- however orientation and behavior are two different things. Risky behavior, picking up an older stranger who is not a student, is not acceptable in a dorm situation. Many kids feel put upon to accept things that they are not comfortable with in college. Quite frankly, he had a right to tell his roommate to take the older man somewhere else and he should have done that. But many universities neglect to instruct freshman students on how to behave in dorm situations. There are the usual regulations concerning drinking, noise and curfews, but absolutely no guidance on sexual and social behavior. Usually kids are forced figure it out for themselves. I don't believe that there is anything wrong with a straight boy feeling uncomfortable with a gay roommate. The rationale for same sex assignments is to eliminate sexual tension from a living situation. The university should have been more sensitive to the situation and had a neutral procedure in place to permit students to change their room assignment and speak up about their concerns. Many times Universities ignore potential conflicts and the general attitude is that kids need to tough it out. I don't feel that EITHER kid needed to remain in this situation. If Tyler felt uncomfortable about living with a kid who was "homophobic", he should have been able to request a roommate change and that change should have happened earlier on. I put "homophobic" in quote because most likely he didn't have an issue with gay people existing, but more having to share close quarters with a homosexual. There are many avowed straight guys who have no problem having gay guys as friends and interacting with them in neutral situations like watching a game or dinner but would have a problem watching their gay friends interact with other gay men at a club.

Others here have commented that the kid was a pervert- there is nothing more perverted than an older man having sex with a teenager- straight or gay. Many people here on this site think it's really disgusting when an older man dates a teenage girl- I don't see how it is any different in this situation. And on top of that, in this situation the guy was considerably older and the boy looked like a baby- borderline pedophile situation- and the man went to the child's dorm. And they are 18 but all children. Kids never think about the consequences of their actions.

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678 LastLast

Thread Information