Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree23Likes

Thread: The Tragic Story of Tyler Clementi, Rutgers' Webcam Voyeurism Victim

I was thinking about that too Sleuth. It seems that alerting the RA was putting some kind of proactive plan in motion, I would expect him to wait and see what came of that, even if he had to stay with a friend if he feared retribution from the roommate.

But to kill himself before he could see if there'd be any resolution, I don't know, it makes me think something happened or he was extremely afraid of what was going to happen next. Maybe he wasn't out to his parents? Maybe he found out nothing was going to happen in spite of his reporting his roommate or there was one final taunt/confrontation with the roommate?

I suppose it's always possible that he was simply far more tormented and in pain than he let on, but he really did seem levelheaded when describing his situation in those forum posts, not close to suicidal at all. But I guess it goes to show you just never know.

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    I suppose it's always possible that he was simply far more tormented and in pain than he let on, but he really did seem levelheaded when describing his situation in those forum posts, not close to suicidal at all. But I guess it goes to show you just never know.
    I'd guess he had more going on than people knew and that wasn't the only reason he killed himself. Maybe that was the final straw.

Default Rutgers Students Investigated After Death of Classmate Break Their Silence

Rutgers Suspect Dhuran Ravi Breaks Silence on Tyler Clementi Suicide - ABC News

Dhuran Ravi and Molly Wei Deny They Had Any Bias Against Tyler Clementi
    By EMILY FRIEDMAN

Oct. 6, 2010 —

The two Rutgers University students accused of secretly filming Tyler Clementi in his dorm room just days before he leaped to his death, have broken their silence to insist they did not bully Clementi.

A lawyer for 18-year-old Dharun Ravi, who was roommates with Clementi, issued a statement urging the public not to "rush to charges" against his client.

"Unfortunately, a life has been lost," said attorney Steven Altman in the statement. "Out of respect to Tyler Clementi's family, this is not the time for explanations of defenses or justifications to be made public by an attorney."

"In regards to statements made by the prosecuting agencies of their continuing investigation and whether to file bias charges against Dharun Ravi, I am heartened to hear that they are taking their time to learn all the facts before rushing to judgment. I can only hope that the public will do the same," wrote Altman. "I am confident that nothing will be learned to justify, warrant or support the filing of any bias criminal complaint."

Both Ravi and his alleged accomplice, fellow Rutgers freshman Molly Wei, face several privacy invasion charges after allegedly surreptitiously filming Clementi during a "sexual encounter" in his dorm room with a man and then streaming it live on the Internet. If convicted, Ravi and Wei could each face five years in prison.

In the days since Clementi's body was retrieved from New York's Hudson River, the office of Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan has said it was exploring whether to bring more serious charges charges against Ravi and Wei.

A spokesman for Kaplan said that an investigation into whether bias or hate crime charges could be brought against Ravi and Wei was still on going.

And at a news conference earlier this week, Kaplan said, "We need to determine the facts and then determine what the applicable law is."

Wei's attorney released a statement insisting on his client's innocence.

"This is a tragic situation. But this tragedy has also unfairly led to rampant speculation and misinformation, which threaten to overwhelm the actual facts of the matter," said attorney William Fisher. "Those true facts will reveal that Molly Wei is innocent. Molly committed no crime. Her remarkable reputation is being unjustly tarnished by uninformed and incorrect assumptions."

Fisher added that Wei is a "wonderful, caring and talented young woman with a bright future" who has been "maligned by unfounded attacks on her character."

Tyler Clementi Was Secretly Filmed Days Before His Suicide

A talented violinist, Clementi grew up in the New Jersey suburb of Ridgewood, where friends who knew him reeled from his sudden death.

Messages on social networking sites left by Ravi suggest that he may have had an aversion to Clementi's sexuality from the start of their freshman year just one month ago.

Ravi tweeted on Aug. 22, "Found out my roommate is gay," according to Forbes.com, and then posted a link to a gay men's website where Ravi said Clementi had placed posts.

Gawker reported it was that same website, JustUsBoys, that Clementi was believed to have turned to once he found out that Ravi had secretly filmed Clementi's sexual encounter with another man.

"So my question is what is next," the posted cti2mo, believed to be Clementi, wrote on Sept. 21. "I could just be more careful next time ... make sure to turn the cam away."

And then, in the same post, "I'm kind pissed at him (rightfully so I think, no?)"

Since Clementi's death, a message reading "in loving memory" appears next to the handle "cit2mo."

A Twitter page that appears to have been operated by Ravi but has since been taken offline shows messages in which the accused student takes credit for the alleged videotaping of Clementi.

Ravi apparently tweeted about his roommate on Sept. 19 before live streaming Clementi's sexual encounter, writing, "Roommate asked for the room till midnight. I went into Molly's room and turned on my webcam. I saw him making out with a dude. Yay."

And two days later, another message went out to Ravi's 148 Twitter followers: "Anyone with iChat, I dare you to video chat me between the hours of 9:30 and 12. Yes it's happening again."

The next day, a chilling post from Clementi showed up on his Facebook page. He wrote in a message dated Sept. 22 at 8:42 p.m., "Jumping off the gw bridge sorry."

Clementi's parents released a statement late last week saying that they hope their son's death "will serve as a call for compassion, empathy and human dignity."

"The outpouring of emotion and support from our friends, community and family -- and from people across the country -- has been humbling and deeply moving," said Joe and Jane Clementi in the statement issued by their lawyer. "We thank each of you from the bottom of our hearts."

A town hall meeting is scheduled tonight at Rutgers to discuss bullying and is expected to be attended by several state politicans.

"Unfortunately, a life has been lost," said attorney Steven Altman in the statement. "Out of respect to Tyler Clementi's family, this is not the time for explanations of defenses or justifications to be made public by an attorney."
    There is no defense or justification. Fuck your client. And fuck you too.
    “The thing that attracts people to “The Sopranos” is the family element. It shows that America still has a longing for that traditional upbringing.” Christine O'Donnell

I'm sorry to contradict this, but the accused students are anything but fine, upstanding individuals. They are malicious, devious, cold-hearted morons who deliberately fed this video in order to malign another's character and embarrass the hell out of him. Yes they both have bright futures - as prison lavatory engineers.
    rem_in likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

fgg

Friend: Charged Rutgers Student Molly Wei Feels Attacked

By Diane Herbst and Nicole Weisensee Egan
    Saturday October 09, 2010 10:00 AM EDT

Dharun Ravi and Molly Wei

Before she entered Rutgers University's prestigious six-year pharmacy program, Molly Wei was known as a sweet, quiet and smart girl with a love of mahjong.

But three weeks into her freshman year at Rutgers, Wei's life changed drastically after the suicide of fellow student Tyler Clementi.

"She feels that everyone is attacking her," a close friend tells PEOPLE after Wei and Clementi's roommate, Dharun Ravi, were charged with two counts of invasion of privacy for allegedly live streaming on the Internet a sexual encounter between Clementi and another man.

Wei's friend also says he has read Facebook comments calling her a monster and saying she deserves to burn in hell.

"She is trying to stay optimistic," he says. "She's really upset about this, she definitely feels bad, and wishes it didn't go the way it did."

If convicted, Wei and Ravi, both pictured in their high school yearbook photos above, face up to five years in prison. But for now, the two have remained silent – and there has been no sign of them or their families for over a week, say neighbors.

According to her friend, Wei is now living the life of a fugitive. "She is going to different places," he says, "because the media is always at her house."

Authorities have also subpoenaed Tyler Clementi's e-mails, a Rutgers spokesman confirmed.

While there are no signs that Ravi and Wei have resumed taking classes at Rutgers, neither of their defense attorneys – nor the university – would comment on their educational status.

_________

boo freaking hoo!

Beyond letting that guy use her computer, what did she do?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Well I guess you could compare it watching someone get jumped and doing nothing to stop it. Maybe she didn't actively do anything, but she's still complicit. She could have stopped her friend from hurting another human being, and she chose not to.

fgg

Rutgers Students Charged in Tyler Clementi Case Drop Out

By Nicole Weisensee Egan
    Friday October 29, 2010 03:20 PM EDT

The two Rutgers University students charged with invasion of privacy, for streaming a video that showed fellow student Tyler Clementi having a private sexual encounter with another man shortly before he committed suicide, have withdrawn from Rutgers, their attorneys confirmed to PEOPLE.

"She withdrew without prejudice for the semester for safety reasons," says Rubin Sinins, an attorney for Molly Wei, 18, one of the defendants. Steven Altman, Dharun Ravi's attorney, also confirmed his client has withdrawn but would not elaborate.

But, in a statement released Friday afternoon, Altman said: "Shortly the prosecutor’s investigation into this matter will be over. At that time I will be more than happy to sit and talk to you regarding the case. To do so at this time would be premature and prejudicial to the person I care most about and that is my client."

James O'Neill, a spokesman for New Jersey's Middlesex County Prosecutor Bruce Kaplan, could not confirm that his office's probe is almost complete.

"The investigation is continuing," O'Neill says. "There is no timetable."

Wei and Ravi have maintained a low profile since Clementi's Sept. 22 suicide, when he jumped off the George Washington Bridge. When asked how Wei is doing, Sinins said he did not know how to answer that question.

"She's been forced to withdraw for security reasons," he says. "That in and of itself suggests how she's doing."

No worries, these two turds will probably show up in the media one day, some national interview sob story with Diane Sawyer or some stupid s**t like that.

You know, where they sell their 'exclusive' interview to the lowest common denominator, and tell their sobby story to the world about how much they are "suffering."

They deserve to be on "The View", where all the hosts (even Elisabeth) walk out on them.

- Mark Twain

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Wa fucking wa, we didn't know... Fuck them both.
    Posted from my iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by celeb_2006 View Post
    I'm awaiting the tear filled public 'statement' and/or "apology" from these two turds (or their lawyers), in which they make themselves out to be the victim in this.

How about the school paper?

Rutgers School Paper Prints Shameful Editorial Blaming the Victim for the Violation of His Human Rights

Media exploits University tragedy
    Editorial

By The Daily Targum

The death of University student Tyler Clementi might have been properly mourned if it were not for the massive rallies and aggressive news coverage that altered the nature of the situation. The truth is that an 18-year-old boy killed himself - he was a student just like the rest of us, someone just trying to receive an education. Yet people's relentless agendas took his death and turned it into a cause based on false pretenses.

A crowd of more than 20 people ended up lying outside the entrance of the Rutgers Student Center on the College Avenue campus the first night of the news breaking. The chants were, "We're here. We're queer. We want safety in our homes." The mistake was that Clementi's death should not have been turned into a lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender protest for gay rights and safe spaces at the University. Robert O'Brien, Department of Anthropology assistant instructor, led the rally as he chanted, "Not safe in dorms, not safe at Rutgers." Essentially, an angry mob fending for their rights turned the death of a young boy into a cause for "safe spaces" for gays across the University - all the while, these spaces already existed. We have groups across campus that deal with students' psychological difficulties - 17 Minutes is one that deals with suicides - as well as groups that address their sexual orientation. We have these spaces, and the University community is diverse enough to provide students with whatever it is they need.

The focal point of Clementi's tragic death should have been a boy's inability to deal with the hardships of life. And yet the news and certain organizations picked this up and carried it into the ranks of general causes for major social groups - for their profit. Did Tyler really feel unsafe after all? Do we know the reason behind his suicide? Do we know if he, himself, would take part in the movement behind his death - the push for safe spaces?

It is disappointing that everyone from news to celebrities picked up the story. Actress Brittany Snow and actor Neil Patrick-Harris are just two of the many celebrities belittling Clementi's death - forcing his remembrance into a cause rather than a proper mourning.
    We did not know Tyler. It was barely three weeks into his first year at the University, and most of his neighbors in his residence hall barely knew him. Turning his death into a push for gay rights is a fallacy. Homosexuality is not the only reason for which people kill themselves. In this case, it might have pushed Clementi over the edge, but the fact that he was gay should by no means turn his death into a march for safe spaces. These groups want to be heard. They want the attention. They want their agendas to shine in the limelight.

Instead, we should address that the signs of a suicidal 18-year-old kid were unseen and went unnoticed, not "We want safety in our homes." We have the safety, or as much of it as we together as a University community can in today's world. What we need is to notice those of us who need help and help them. Entertainers stay away. O'Brien leave the issue alone. Let us - family, friends and the University together - mourn for Clementi, and just for him, rather than using him as a martyr for a cause that has yet to be proven.
    & not a single fuck was given...

OMG, that school paper article... I don't know where to begin... Their intolerance wasn't the problem? The fact that if it had been a girl Tyler had been with no one would have batted an eyelash isn't a problem?

If this is the prevailing attitude in that University they need a good look at themselves.

And I can't believe Ravi and Wei had to withdraw by themselves for safety reasons. I would expect the University to automatically expel them. At least Ravi. What a piece of shit.

It's attitudes like the ones expressed in that article that have bullycide be some kind of an acceptable norm by some people. And yeah - hey, it was early in the school year and we didn't even know the kid, so what's the big deal? Just another one who couldn't cope? So that makes it okay, I suppose. Survival of the fittest? It's shameful what we tolerate as a society.

- Mark Twain

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information