Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: Tiger Mom: Some cultural groups are superior

Those Nigerians are soooo superior. The make superior email and internet scams. Overachievers.
    faithanne and Kittylady like this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

As for why African-Americans don’t make the list, the authors believe that the Civil Rights Movement took away any hope for a superiority narrative, and so the black community is screwed — even as they cite Mitt Romney’s loss to Barack Obama as evidence of Mormon ascendancy.
    “In this paradoxical sense, equality isn’t fair to African-Americans,” they write. “Superiority is the one narrative that America has relentlessly denied or ground out of its black population.”
    While it does concern me how hip-hop/rap culture disparages intellectual pursuits in the black community, I know too many successful African-Americans to believe anything this woman says. She's merely throwing a scholarly patina over broad generalizations and more than a little xenophobia. I'm sure I'm not reading her wrong.
    sluce likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Which is why we'll NEVER have a black President.
    BITTER likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Or a black billionaire.
    Brookie and BITTER like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Those Nigerians are soooo superior. The make superior email and internet scams. Overachievers.
    My daughter had a boyfriend whose family is from Nigeria. I believe he was born there but grew up mostly here. She got to know his family quite well. There were lots of things to admire about his culture and family - like the really strong work ethic and devotion to family. Even at the age of 20, when most American guys are just hanging out with their friends, he was expected to take care of his younger siblings. He also dressed really nicely and helped my daughter up her game in the style department. His family had pretty strong rules about dress, like you don't wear sweatpants outside the house, unless you're going to or coming back from a game, for example. I suppose a lot of it boils down to self-discipline (always good) and a certain amount of conformity (maybe not so good). My daughter also said that his parents knew very little about his inner life, his thoughts and feelings, etc.; that we has not close to his parents in the way that a lot of American kids are used to. There was a definitely wall between parent and child (I think this also has good and bad elements).

Anyway, based on the articles I've read I think this woman is thoroughly up her own ass at this point and has a very narrow definition of success. There are other cultures that don't meet her criteria for success but have a lot to recommend them.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

This woman is a nightmare. Life isn't just about getting fantastic grades and "being superior". And apparently her children's personal happiness, whether as high-powered professionals or maybe excelling at something they love that is more blue-collar, don't mean a thing to her.
    Sarzy likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

I find it hard to believe that these kids come out well-balanced.
    Beeyotch and badgers! like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    I know a Greek family where the father was a cobbler and the mother a functional illiterate. They were so poor that they were persuaded to give their third child away to a childless relative since they couldn't afford her. And yet they raised a doctor son and a lawyer daughter. It was their biggest dream in life, to have their kids amount to something.
    what happened to the one they had to give up?
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    I chose not to raise my child as she did.
    My child grew up to be more well rounded with the same group of friends that he has had since kindergarten. Many sleep overs,many parties. Now they are all grown men with lovely families. Most of all they are happy. None were raised like this.
    I stand by my choice strongly. Joy has to be a big part of childhood,IMO.
    I can't agree more with the last sentence of this post. My mother was Japanese and a Tiger Mother and to say she wasn't a good parent is an undestatement.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    So are you a doctor, lawyer or engineer (or pharmacist LOL)
    I'm an Engineer. But in my mother's eyes, it's not as good as being a doctor

Not everyone can be a doctor or lawyer, and not everyone should - have you seen how much plumbers rake in? If everyone's off getting a fancy edumacation, who's going to unblock my pipes?

Which reminds me of an old Victoria Wood sketch/mockumentary about posh private schoolgirls and one of the interview questions was "What do you think of poor people?" and the girl answered "Well I think there has to be some - otherwise, how would anyone ever get served in shops?"
    ikmccall, Kittylady and BITTER like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Even though I'm of SE Asian descent, I am very aware of what Ms. Chua is talking about. Through personal experience, I have witnessed some East Asian friends constantly complain about their ever demanding, strict parents. In their own words, they've told me that in order to be "successful" in life, they MUST have the best education so they can ultimately achieve a high paying, and highly respected profession. However, there are other friends who understand why their parents are tiger parents. They believe the parents are doing this for their own good.

As for me, I was fortunate to have a panda mom. She was always encouraging me to be the best I can be and do whatever makes me happy. However, I will admit she wanted me to be a nurse because a lot of people in her family were nurses. Both male and female. To her, a nursing career was quite noble because she felt nurses were caring, compassionate, and committed to helping people. When I told her I didn't want to be a nurse, she didn't push me, but she wanted to know why. When I told her I wanted to work with children in early childhood education, I thought she would be disappointed, but she smiled approvingly because she knew how much I loved working with kids. I wouldn't trade my supportive panda mom (may she RIP) for the world. Suck on that, Ms. Chua.
    Rock the fuck on!

^^^ It shouldn't have taken two hours for this post to get its first Like, damnit!
    Brookie likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information