Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas Prisons Have Stopped Serving Weekend Lunches

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    This has been, for me at least, a very thought provoking thread.
    I don't know any person who has actually ever been in jail, much less prison.
    I tend to equate prison with violent thugs who deserve what they get.
    I still have a show-no-mercy to those people, hopefully in maximum security.
    I -who have never once taken an illegal drug- am all for legalizing the milder drigs and freeing up some court,police and prison time. Okay-I want them to pay tax,too!
    What I have learned here from JKM and Mel has opened a whole new way of thinking for me. JKM's Dad. That is heartbreaking. I can hardly stand it.
    Mel's tale of what her brother faced and what is NOT covered. I never knew this. I never knew about the hospital thing. Or the dental.
    For the first time ever, I got a realistic view.
    They were brave to share that with us. I hope others are rethinking also.
    What a really nice thing to say McJag.
    There has been so much lecturing/patronising around here recently (not just in this thread IMO) that it's taking all the fun out of discussing anything around here. To the extent that I'd rather do laundry & housework than be here.
    So to have one thread that makes one person say to themselves "I need to consider this", that's great.
    Btw McJag, MrN has been inside too (why is a tale for another day), but we don't differentiate between jail & prison like they do in the US.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I was taught that the four purposes of incarceration were to isolate them/protect the community, to punish the criminal, to deter other potential offenders, and to rehabilitate. I guess the last one is now optional. Actually, none of them seem to apply anymore.

I think you can judge a society by its prisoners. If there is a high rehabilitation and non-reoffend rate, the system is working. When a large percentage of the population is incarcerated, many for very minor crimes, I see that as a failure, not something to be proud of.
    this

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Not everyone that ends up in prison has money for commissary just like they didn't have any money for a decent attorney. You can say "they all" do but I know from personal experience having family members and knowing what it's like to not have any money to even send my father for fucking postage stamps. My father was initially locked up (drug trafficking) in 1990 and ended up dying in prison from Hep C complications in December of 2004, nothing violent ever in his past or on his record. 14 years.

2 meals a day are just fine but it's the line that's being crossed, oh they do just fine on commissary or oh they're scum of the earth criminals, no they really aren't all scum AND the justice system is pretty fucked up.
    Posted from my iPhone
    and this.

i agree that it sucks that there are (non-criminal) people out there who have even less than that, but that still doesn't make it ok and it doesn't justify that prisoners are viewed as low-life aliens.

also, what exactly is a profit prison? i've never heard of that before. don't tell me these kind of prisons are privatized and get money for incarcerating people? jesus...
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Yes they do Stef.

At least Texas is starting to realize that the whole "tough on crime" thing doesn't work. Texas conservatives reject Harper's crime plan - Politics - CBC News Sure, there will always be people who need to be removed from society and locked up but not vast quantities of nonviolent offenders. That serves nobody. Someone needs to slap Stephen Harper upside da head before Canada gets turned to shit.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by stef View Post
    also, what exactly is a profit prison? i've never heard of that before. don't tell me these kind of prisons are privatized and get money for incarcerating people? jesus...
    yes, exactly that.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Not only do they get money but they make money. You want to know where all the manufacturing jobs in America went? Look behind bars. No unions, no workers rights, you can pay the workers slave wages, taxpayers pay your overhead costs.

Welcome to a New Way of Doing Business

UNICOR continues to streamline the way it does business and is reorganizing its operations to bring you the most sought-after quality products and services, enhanced customer service and faster delivery. UNICOR is now structured into seven separate business groups, each headed by a General Manager able to quickly make the appropriate business decisions responsive to your evolving procurement needs.
    We recognize the importance of working smart to give you the most for your money particularly in these times of heightened budgetary constraints. That's why we've formed several important partnerships with nationally recognized organizations. We think you'll agree that they've enabled us to offer a greater selection of competitively priced products and services.

Product Overview

Clothing and Textiles Business Group

Law Enforcement, Medical, and Military and Institutional Apparel
    Custom-Made Draperies and Curtains
    Mattresses, Bedding, Linens and Towels
    Embroidery and Screen Printing on Textiles

Electronics Business Group

Exterior and Interior Task Lighting Systems
    Wire Harness Assemblies and Circuit Boards
    Electrical Components and Connectors
    Electrical Cables (both Braided and Cord Assemblies)

Fleet & Training Site Solutions & MOUT

Remanufactured and Refurbished Vehicle/Equipment and Major Components
    New Vehicle Retrofit Services
    Fleet Management Customized Services and Programs/Turnkey
    Training Site Solutions and MOUT (Military Operations in Urban Terrain)

Industrial Products Business Group

Metal Quarters Furniture
    Industrial Racking Catwalks, Mezzanines and Warehouse/Office Shelving
    Custom Fabricated Industrial Products, Lockers, Storage Cabinets
    Optical Eyewear: Safety and Prescription
    Security, Perimeter, Temporary and Permanent Fencing
    Filtration Products
    Awards, Promotional Gifts and License Plates
    Interior and Exterior Architectural, Safety and Recreational Signs
    Custom Engraving and Printing

Office Furniture Business Group

Office Furnishings and Accessories
    Seating Products
    Casegoods and Training Table Products
    Office Systems Products
    Filing and Storage Products
    Packaged Office Solutions/Turnkey

Recycling Activities Business Group

Electronic Recycling Activities
    Recycling Activities

Services Business Group

Distribution and Order Fulfillment
    Assembly, Packing and Services
    Document Conversion
    Call Center and Help Desk Support
    Printing and Creative Design Services
    Laundry Services
    UNICOR Online | Schedule of Products

"Mission Statement It is the mission of Federal Prison Industries, Inc. (FPI) to employ and provide job skills training to the greatest practicable number of inmates confined within the Federal Bureau of Prisons; contribute to the safety and security of our Nation's federal correctional facilities by keeping inmates constructively occupied; provide market-quality products and services; operate in a self-sustaining manner; and minimize FPI's impact on private business and labor."
    UNICOR Online | About UNICOR | Corporate Overview

They need to lock up vast numbers of people because it provides what is essentially slave labour.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Exactly. its not like they pay these people fair wages and it isn't as if most of these people have choices in whether or not they take jobs. It IS like people still get the shit kicked out of them in prison when they don't go along with what the warden wants. Another of my brother's was in jail in Louisiana and got the shit kicked out of him - broken jaw, several missing teeth, broken arm... and he told them that he tripped over a cooler and fell into a picnic table.. even though there were boot prints on his face and chest and back that were clearly visible. And GUESS what... nobody paid for him to get his teeth fixed either!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

I knew someone who did time in a federal minimum security prison- the ones that are supposed to be 'country clubs'. He was in there for 3 years, never saw a dentist.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

The prison system is seriously a mess but please remember that the court system decides if someone will serve time, not the for-profit prison.

From what I have seen first hand, there are too many people serving time for minor crap and prison destroys them and sends them back to society angry, disillusioned and unemployable. The system is broken and I won't even get into the racism.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^ i wouldn't be so sure about that. the court system decides, but i'm sure the lobbyism must be booming if the prisons make money by incarcerating people.

i don't even know what to say. i've never thought about using prisoners as slaves. it makes perfect sense, though. i can't say i'm shocked.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Try knowing someone on an immigration hold...talk about scary. Plus, they put your ass out in the middle of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    The prison system is seriously a mess but please remember that the court system decides if someone will serve time, not the for-profit prison.

From what I have seen first hand, there are too many people serving time for minor crap and prison destroys them and sends them back to society angry, disillusioned and unemployable. The system is broken and I won't even get into the racism.
    Most of this is probably drug related.
    With 70% SEVENTY PERCENT of the US population now having come to the conclusion that marajuana should be legalized, it is past time to take that one off the market. I am quite sure some of those prisoners have served longer sentences than a lot of murderers.Did we learn nothing from the bootlegger phase here? I am guessing not.
    That stat came from NBC Nightly News.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Authority View Post
    I honestly don't have much of a problem with this. Now if they took this cost-cutting to the extreme (like having less guards for more prisoners or a hole in the ground to replace toilets) then yeah that's a huge violation of basic human rights.
    Agreed. I only eat 2 meals a day and so do most ppl I know. With a sedentary lifestyle to boot--usually the norm in prison--it actually may be sensible. There are larger issues at stake, potentially, but this ONE change doesn't seem outrageous to me. Of course, I think that the whole world is on one big giant slippery slope to hell generally so I'm sure everything will get worse.

( Yeah, I know...)

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think the next step in Texas will be to put the Tossed Salad Guy in charge of the cafeteria.
    Because this thread needs him:

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Even the prisoners with no family or attorneys to put money on their accounts usually have a prison job which gets them money for their accounts...None of the public schools in my city offer breakfast, and I'm sure that there are many kids whose only decent meal is their school lunch, and nothing on weekends. When there are so many children going hungry and without access to basic nutrition, excuse me if I don't cry that men convicted of crimes "only" get two nutritious meals a day on weekends. Those men also get free medical and dental care, oftentimes schooling, etc. That's more than I have.

I was always surprised when a prisoner mentioned baseball or referenced a movie or something. I would always forget that most of them have TVs in their cells. But unless they were in the hole, they usually had a much more normal routine than you'd expect: going to work, watching TV, writing or reading letters, listening to music, snacking on junk food, etc.
    Are you in CA? Because I think our prison system may be "softer"/kinder/more progressive in some ways than those of many other states, especially with regards to medical care. I have a friend who works in a local prison and counts among her inmate acquaintances a guy who is spending life in prison for multiple murders. He has gotten better mental health care (and benefited from it greatly) than most people I know on the outside.

That ISN'T a bad thing! What really bugs me is the implication that there has to be a choice, that this is an either/or situation! I just wish normal citizens were even that well provided for.

Of course it varies from institution to institution. Where my friend works is archaic in some ways--the main building is old and funky--but it is positively antiseptic and progressive compared with San Quentin.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    My point being I'd rather have my tax dollars spent to feed the elderly and children than criminals. Only two meals a day won't harm them one bit, they certainly don't have it as bad as others do, so they can suck it up.
    If there really isn't enough to go around--so the guvmint says, to which I reply "and how much are you all skimming!? GIVE IT BACK ASSHOLES"--then yeah, I agree with you. Again the choice issue.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Oh no! How terrible that some prisons can't turn a profit. After all, the whole point of the justice system is to make lots of money using cheap labour.
    For profit prisons are an utter abomination imho. But if we apply your statement to government-run prisons, I have to say that I would love it if they would at least break even. For ANY government agency to do that is a fucking miracle.

The whole war on drugs is just insane, at least if you are talking about minor offenders for sure. Crazy shit. We need to stop. And we won't.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Most of this is probably drug related.
    With 70% SEVENTY PERCENT of the US population now having come to the conclusion that marajuana should be legalized, it is past time to take that one off the market. I am quite sure some of those prisoners have served longer sentences than a lot of murderers.Did we learn nothing from the bootlegger phase here? I am guessing not.
    That stat came from NBC Nightly News.
    Obviously we didn't learn, since the Feds are now cracking down on CA's progressive medical marijuana law.
    Unfuckingbelievable. I just knew this was gonna happen, though.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Yes and no. The court system is often limited in its discretion by mandatory sentencing regulations and then there's shit like this:

Judges Plead Guilty in Scheme to Jail Youths for Profit - NYTimes.com

-- Stephen Hawking

I do not believe drugs will ever be legalized in the US because it is already controlled by organzied crime and they are not going to give up the profits. Around here it is the Hells Angels and Pagans who run the drugs and prostitution under the mafia. I know and am related to too many of these people but large family gatherings can be fun!
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    No shit! Prisoners have it better than NoNO??? bullshit. have you ever worked a pea farm? My brother has and he didn't even get to get his fucking teeth fixed while he was in there. he should sue them for not getting his teeth fixed shouldn't he. I don't know what fairy tales you've heard about prison but I know enough people who've been to jail that I can tell you that prisons in Texas and Louisiana do NOT offer a dental or medical plan. IF those guys do get sick and need to see a doctor, EVERY penny they have on their books (for commissary = toothbrushes, socks, underwear, toothpaste - not just fucking snacks) is taken from them for that visit and it will continue to be taken until the bill is paid.
    If anyone truly believes that prisoners are treated better than citizens, go break the law and get yourself a lovely vacation...
    <SWOON!>

I'm totally smitten.

Ok, just remember that when the public over-reacts to a heinous crime and demands conviction quotas from judges and mandated sentencing. Is that the courts? Or is it the cabal? Or is it for-profit lobbying groups who buy up ads and TV time to whip the voters into a frenzy until a bill is passed that will bring more bodies into prisons for profit?
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information