Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas Prisons Have Stopped Serving Weekend Lunches

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

I understand there are people starving and seniors eating cat food but that's not the point. It's just frightening how people automatically become "unpeople" based upon a system that is seriously flawed.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

If you can rationalize that people on the outside have it much worse than prisoners, that's an indictment of society, not a commentary on how well we treat our prisoners.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    I understand there are people starving and seniors eating cat food but that's not the point. It's just frightening how people automatically become "unpeople" based upon a system that is seriously flawed.
    Posted from my iPhone
    Preach! Hard to convince many that prisoners are not all Ted Bundys. Our system is corrupt. The slightest flaw, like let's say POVERTY, and you may be unfairly incarcerated.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    If you can rationalize that people on the outside have it much worse than prisoners, that's an indictment of society, not a commentary on how well we treat our prisoners.
    My point being I'd rather have my tax dollars spent to feed the elderly and children than criminals. Only two meals a day won't harm them one bit, they certainly don't have it as bad as others do, so they can suck it up.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    My point being I'd rather have my tax dollars spent to feed the elderly and children than criminals. Only two meals a day won't harm them one bit, they certainly don't have it as bad as others do, so they can suck it up.
    I have to agree.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Even the prisoners with no family or attorneys to put money on their accounts usually have a prison job which gets them money for their accounts.

None of the public schools in my city offer breakfast, and I'm sure that there are many kids whose only decent meal is their school lunch, and nothing on weekends. When there are so many children going hungry and without access to basic nutrition, excuse me if I don't cry that men convicted of crimes "only" get two nutritious meals a day on weekends. Those men also get free medical and dental care, oftentimes schooling, etc. That's more than I have.

I was always surprised when a prisoner mentioned baseball or referenced a movie or something. I would always forget that most of them have TVs in their cells. But unless they were in the hole, they usually had a much more normal routine than you'd expect: going to work, watching TV, writing or reading letters, listening to music, snacking on junk food, etc.
    That so often seems to be the crux of the matter.
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Good point WCG.
    Free Charmed.

Hit By Ban Bus!

I think it is sad and disgusting to justify this with the budget. It is the beginning of a sick slippery slope.

You all do realize, right, that cutting down the cafeteria food on weekends is a budgetary thing so these prisons, many of which are losing money, can continue to operate and treat prisoners and staff humanely? Yeah, it's a "slippery slope" because the prison system is right now overburdened with many elderly prisoners serving long sentences and, since they're in prison, they get 100% free health care and that longterm medical care is costing a lot of money, and if something isn't done nobody is going to get any basic care.

What's actually a slippery slope is prisons not finding ways to cut corners on things that aren't harmful and continuing obliviously until they either shut down completely or else start early releasing violent criminals due to overcrowding.

I think it is sad and disgusting to justify this with the budget. It is the beginning of a sick slippery slope.
    So the fact that, in this economy, everybody from hospitals to schools are having to cut their budgets to survive is just fine, but let a prison start doing it and then it's a "sick slippery slope"? How does that make sense?

Just about every one of us has had to cut back and make due with less, a LOT less than two meals a day on weekends. The point is why are we expected to do it but people who have actually been convicted of crimes aren't? Hell, if you can give me free medicine, free medical and dental care right now than I would gladly eat ONE meal a day.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    You all do realize, right, that cutting down the cafeteria food on weekends is a budgetary thing so these prisons, many of which are losing money, can continue to operate and treat prisoners and staff humanely?
    Oh no! How terrible that some prisons can't turn a profit. After all, the whole point of the justice system is to make lots of money using cheap labour.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

No shit! Prisoners have it better than NoNO??? bullshit. have you ever worked a pea farm? My brother has and he didn't even get to get his fucking teeth fixed while he was in there. he should sue them for not getting his teeth fixed shouldn't he. I don't know what fairy tales you've heard about prison but I know enough people who've been to jail that I can tell you that prisons in Texas and Louisiana do NOT offer a dental or medical plan. IF those guys do get sick and need to see a doctor, EVERY penny they have on their books (for commissary = toothbrushes, socks, underwear, toothpaste - not just fucking snacks) is taken from them for that visit and it will continue to be taken until the bill is paid.
    If anyone truly believes that prisoners are treated better than citizens, go break the law and get yourself a lovely vacation...
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Hit By Ban Bus!

I believe one can judge a society on how well they treat citizens like prisoners, orphans and the elderly.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Oh no! How terrible that some prisons can't turn a profit. After all, the whole point of the justice system is to make lots of money using cheap labour.
    this.
    the whole privatisation of prisons, turning them into for-profit institutions, is highly disturbing to me.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    No shit! Prisoners have it better than NoNO??? bullshit. have you ever worked a pea farm? My brother has and he didn't even get to get his fucking teeth fixed while he was in there. he should sue them for not getting his teeth fixed shouldn't he. I don't know what fairy tales you've heard about prison but I know enough people who've been to jail that I can tell you that prisons in Texas and Louisiana do NOT offer a dental or medical plan. IF those guys do get sick and need to see a doctor, EVERY penny they have on their books (for commissary = toothbrushes, socks, underwear, toothpaste - not just fucking snacks) is taken from them for that visit and it will continue to be taken until the bill is paid.
    If anyone truly believes that prisoners are treated better than citizens, go break the law and get yourself a lovely vacation...
    this.
    people need to get a grip. and a reality check. but i think we're wasting our breath here, people would rather bitch and moan and compare their lives to (their perception of) prison and complain that they don't get free food every day.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

This has been, for me at least, a very thought provoking thread.
    I don't know any person who has actually ever been in jail, much less prison.
    I tend to equate prison with violent thugs who deserve what they get.
    I still have a show-no-mercy to those people, hopefully in maximum security.
    I -who have never once taken an illegal drug- am all for legalizing the milder drigs and freeing up some court,police and prison time. Okay-I want them to pay tax,too!
    What I have learned here from JKM and Mel has opened a whole new way of thinking for me. JKM's Dad. That is heartbreaking. I can hardly stand it.
    Mel's tale of what her brother faced and what is NOT covered. I never knew this. I never knew about the hospital thing. Or the dental.
    For the first time ever, I got a realistic view.
    They were brave to share that with us. I hope others are rethinking also.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

mcjag, this is why i love you.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

*shocked face* I love you,too!
    *wanders off to cream elbows*
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information