Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Texas Prisons Have Stopped Serving Weekend Lunches

I think the next step in Texas will be to put the Tossed Salad Guy in charge of the cafeteria.

Sure there are a lot of people living on less but adequate nutrition should be a basic human right and if you take that away from people who are forced into prison (be they rapists, murderers or just small time drug offenders) then it becomes like a concentration camp.

I don't understand the concept of for-profit prisons - don't the prison owners have an incentive to keep the prisoners inside rather than try and rehabilitate them? It makes no sense to me.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post

I don't understand the concept of for-profit prisons - don't the prison owners have an incentive to keep the prisoners inside rather than try and rehabilitate them? It makes no sense to me.
    Exactly!

Lemme see if I can actually post a link -

Luzerne County “Kids-For-Cash” Juvenile Court Scandal | Juvenile Law Center

Judge took kick backs to convict kids to a for profit juvie center.

I wouldn't imagine that many places would even fund an investigation to catch corruption like this. Shit, with our stupid drug laws, it's actually legal to have conviction quotas that automatically fill profit prisons.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

I was taught that the four purposes of incarceration were to isolate them/protect the community, to punish the criminal, to deter other potential offenders, and to rehabilitate. I guess the last one is now optional. Actually, none of them seem to apply anymore.

I think you can judge a society by its prisoners. If there is a high rehabilitation and non-reoffend rate, the system is working. When a large percentage of the population is incarcerated, many for very minor crimes, I see that as a failure, not something to be proud of.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And the poor bastards serving time for non violent drug offenses. Not everyone in jail is human excrement. The US for profit prison system has a lot to answer for.
    Yup, those people, too.

Our justice system is so fucked up I can't trust the outcomes.

Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

I think you can judge a society by its prisoners. If there is a high rehabilitation and non-reoffend rate, the system is working. When a large percentage of the population is incarcerated, many for very minor crimes, I see that as a failure, not something to be proud of.
    Not to mention how many repeat offenders of various crimes get paroled and let out, only to commit an even worse crime later on.

Sure there are a lot of people living on less but adequate nutrition should be a basic human right and if you take that away from people who are forced into prison (be they rapists, murderers or just small time drug offenders) then it becomes like a concentration camp.
    Who said that two meals a day isn't adequate nutrition? I eat two meals a day with no problem (I eat when I'm hungry and having breakfast, lunch and dinner in one day is just too much food for me, so I usually skip either breakfast or lunch).

Someone else raised a good point in that almost all prisoners have access to the commissary. I used to work with prisoners and a lot of them would even skip lunch to instead snack on stuff from the commissary or the snack machines (on visitor days). They'd rather have a burger or a ham sandwich and sodas than meatloaf and milk or whatever the prison was serving. (Kind of like high school students.)
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

They are all eating from the commissary anyway. I used to work in a prison and I know this to be true.
    I saw DEATH, an anorexic penguin, an overcooked Gollum, Mr. Burns in need of a haircut and a methed-up Riff Raff.--Michael K. on Phil Spector

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Not everyone that ends up in prison has money for commissary just like they didn't have any money for a decent attorney. You can say "they all" do but I know from personal experience having family members and knowing what it's like to not have any money to even send my father for fucking postage stamps. My father was initially locked up (drug trafficking) in 1990 and ended up dying in prison from Hep C complications in December of 2004, nothing violent ever in his past or on his record. 14 years.

2 meals a day are just fine but it's the line that's being crossed, oh they do just fine on commissary or oh they're scum of the earth criminals, no they really aren't all scum AND the justice system is pretty fucked up.
    Posted from my iPhone
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Yup, those people, too.

Our justice system is so fucked up I can't trust the outcomes.

Posted from my iPhone

I also want to add the happy drunk who was just trying to get home by not driving, but walking and ended up in the can for a week. AND having to pay 2 dollars a day to be there.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Kill Me View Post
    Not everyone that ends up in prison has money for commissary just like they didn't have any money for a decent attorney. You can say "they all" do but I know from personal experience having family members and knowing what it's like to not have any money to even send my father for fucking postage stamps. My father was initially locked up (drug trafficking) in 1990 and ended up dying in prison from Hep C complications in December of 2004, nothing violent ever in his past or on his record. 14 years.

2 meals a day are just fine but it's the line that's being crossed, oh they do just fine on commissary or oh they're scum of the earth criminals, no they really aren't all scum AND the justice system is pretty fucked up.
    Posted from my iPhone
    ^^what she said!
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

Even the prisoners with no family or attorneys to put money on their accounts usually have a prison job which gets them money for their accounts.

None of the public schools in my city offer breakfast, and I'm sure that there are many kids whose only decent meal is their school lunch, and nothing on weekends. When there are so many children going hungry and without access to basic nutrition, excuse me if I don't cry that men convicted of crimes "only" get two nutritious meals a day on weekends. Those men also get free medical and dental care, oftentimes schooling, etc. That's more than I have.

I was always surprised when a prisoner mentioned baseball or referenced a movie or something. I would always forget that most of them have TVs in their cells. But unless they were in the hole, they usually had a much more normal routine than you'd expect: going to work, watching TV, writing or reading letters, listening to music, snacking on junk food, etc.
    "Don't trust nobody, and 'nobody' meaning Jay Leno in particular." -Chris Rock

Quote Originally Posted by NoNoRehab View Post
    Even the prisoners with no family or attorneys to put money on their accounts usually have a prison job which gets them money for their accounts.

None of the public schools in my city offer breakfast, and I'm sure that there are many kids whose only decent meal is their school lunch, and nothing on weekends. When there are so many children going hungry and without access to basic nutrition, excuse me if I don't cry that men convicted of crimes "only" get two nutritious meals a day on weekends. Those men also get free medical and dental care, oftentimes schooling, etc. That's more than I have.

I was always surprised when a prisoner mentioned baseball or referenced a movie or something. I would always forget that most of them have TVs in their cells. But unless they were in the hole, they usually had a much more normal routine than you'd expect: going to work, watching TV, writing or reading letters, listening to music, snacking on junk food, etc.
    We've all said the two meals a day is fine, it's the fact that once they cross that line what's next?
    Silly bitches, twitchy links are NOT for kids!-Mel

I dunno, why don't we ask the opinion of all the seniors living on pet food so they can afford all their meds and to keep the lights on.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I know people that have done time and lived on wonder bread and bologna and never saw a real fresh veggie. I wonder shitting was possible.
    When your daughter plays "House," she pretends to be an annoying doctor with a pill-addiction and a limp.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread Information