Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Thread: Texas honor student jailed for missing too much school

Fucking idiot judge. I hope someone can help her get this expunged

Quote Originally Posted by teforde23 View Post
    Which of her parents does she live with? And why is she supporting her older brother who is in college. THis poor girl. Her parents should be the ones jailed
    She's living with one of her employers according to another article. As to supporting her brother, I don't know. Maybe because he's family? Maybe because he can't do it on his own? Maybe because with an education he can then be in a better position to help his sisters? I really want to know more about the parents.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The judge needs to diaf asap.

I second the "fucking idiot judge" sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Weird, I thought the law only enforced school from 6-16, so how is she even in trouble at her age?
    If you're under 18 (an "adult") & attend public school, the courts can go after you and/or your parents. But it's still bullshit. It's all about money, the state/county will fund a school based on attendance.

When I was in high school, 10 years ago, the court/school would care about your attendance as long as you were in & accounted for in 3rd period - that was the official tally of the entire school. I skipped A LOT of class in my day, but NEVER 3rd period unless I was legitimately sick & at home.

Quote Originally Posted by lucianodel View Post
    Doesn't you have to pay for college in the US? If yes, then you should have the right to attend or not.

I guess the judge gets paid by some corporation to put more people into jail so they have free workers.
    You do pay for college, but she's still in high school - she just takes "college level" which could be honors courses or even dual credit courses that will count towards college.
    Sojiita likes this.
    Sugar... The real gateway drug

That's so retarded to take official attendance at 3rd period. Why not make it the next-to-last period of the day? Or at least something after lunch.

But yeah, idiot fucking judge here.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

This is from Huffington Post and includes a donation site and a petition site on her behalf.
    (Image source: KHOU)
    BY JOE CHIODO

Playing hookey isn’t all fun and games for one Texas high schooler. A judge summoned an eleventh grade honors student to spend a night in jail after she missed too much school. But the girl says she’s too tired to go to class. WRGT has the story.

“The honors student works two jobs and takes college level courses. 17-year-old Diane Tran was left to help provide for her siblings after her parents divorced and moved away.”

The judge had warned Tran in April to stop skipping class...then she missed again. So he fined her $100 and sent her to jail for a night. Now she wants a clean record and her money back. KHOU asked the judge, Lanny Moriarty, if that was possible.

REPORTER: “Can anything be done to revoke this?”
    MORIARTY: “Yeah it probably could.”
    REPORTER: “Will you?”
    MORIARTY: “I haven’t thought on that issue because it turns me really soft.”

Maoriarty explained if he lets one person off the hook, he would have to do the same for other offenders. KFMB disagrees with the judge’s reasoning...

“He doesn’t want to be seen as soft. I don’t think soft is the word we would use.”

The 17-year-old arrested for truancy is causing a stir throughout the country. Jezebel says her plight was just too relatable to ignore.

“[I]n the face of this lack of empathy, Tran has won over the public with a tearful interview … Tran has received widespread national support on Facebook and angry letters on behalf of the teenager...”

But the decision is ultimately in the judge’s hands. The Huffington Post explains...

“According to Texas law, if a student has ten or more unexcused absences within a six-month period, the school district may refer the student to a juvenile court. In such cases, resolution of the issue is entirely in the hands of the court.”

A website called HelpDianeTran.org raised more than two-thousand dollars for the struggling student. A petition to cancel the fine and sentence already received close to ten thousand signatures on Change.org.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by *8* View Post
    Will this follow her when she trys out for future jobs?
    Probably, which is a damn shame.

While I understand that there are rules, I am of the opinion that if you can make the grades without showing up for class, more power to you. Especially considering that in the last month of school, after the AP exams and whatnot are done, you don't do jack shit in class anyway.

If you're going to make an example out of someone, pick on the stoners hanging out in the park all day - not a hardworking young lady who has more on her plate than any girl her age should even have to think about.

Awesome, it's up to almost $36k in donations for her. At least something good came of it for her.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Quote Originally Posted by Serendipity View Post
    Awesome, it's up to almost $36k in donations for her. At least something good came of it for her.
    I think it will go much higher and a lot of opportunities are going to come her way now.
    Adults failed this kid,starting with her idiot parents. Decent adults are steping in to replace what should have been her teen years. This judge (who will get voted out of office) may have done her a big favor.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Meanwhile, how many other kids are having their lives ruined by a criminal record because they missed some school?

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Meanwhile, how many other kids are having their lives ruined by a criminal record because they missed some school?
    No, that is going to be wiped clean shortly. Stay tuned! Too much of an uproar and the news people are all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

probably quite a few. it made me think of those kids who can't get financial aid for college because they were caught with a joint as a teen. archaic.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Up to almost $68.5k now. I hope it's legit. And I hope the outpouring is enough to make these stupid laws be reviewed.
    It's like you ate too much crazy then puked it all over a post and hit submit - Nancydrew

Jesus H. Christ. I missed 60 days of of about 180 in my senior year in high school. I went to school, then went to work fulltime. I took college prep classes(Pre-Calculus, Advanced English, Personal and Business Law, etc.) and I graduated with a 3.3 average(I got a C in the Pre-Calculus). There was no 'nanny state' bullshit law about it.

I worked and had trouble sleeping and something had to give and it was school-but as long as I got the assignments and was there for the tests, BFD!

I can't believe they are putting someone in fucking jail for missing school. It is ultimately up to the student anyway-they can show up and just sit there like a fucking mannequin and do nothing and fail, but that is ok-as long as they are physically there-but God forbid they are doing well and are missing class.

Plus I hated High School-very gay unfriendly back in 1980-1981-WHY would I have gone more than I had to(could get away with) anyway?

I hope this judge gets run over by a train.
    Seapharris7 likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information