Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Teen faces federal charges for bad science project

Finally some damn sense.

Charges dropped against Florida teen over amateur science experiment

Ned Resnikoff, @resnikoff5:57 PM on 05/15/2013

(Kiera Wilmot, seen in a screengrab from MSNBC’s All In w/ Chris Hayes)

The Florida teenager who wasarrested two weeks ago for causing a small explosion on the campus of her high school will not be charged with a crime. Kiera Wilmot, 16, was arrested by police in Bartow, Florida, after conducting an unauthorized science experiment which lightly damaged an eight ounce plastic water bottle.

At the time, Wilmot facedpossible charges for “possessing or discharging weapons or firearms at a school sponsored event or on school property.” If she had been convicted, she could have faced up to five years in prison.

Wilmot’s arrest became a national story, as members of the press and the scientific community insisted that Wilmot was the victim of a massive overreaction from law enforcement. A crowdfunded legal defense fund netted over $8,000 to cover Wilmot’s potential legal fees, and a Change.org petition to get the charges dropped received nearly 200,000 signatures.

“Even though I don’t have the privilege of knowing Kiera, I believe we all have the responsibility to stand up with one another whenever there is injustice and felt I had to do whatever I could to make sure the unjust felony charges were dropped,” said Maggie Gilman, the creator of the petition, in a statement circulated by Change.org. “I’m very thankful to the 195,000 people who stood with Kiera and signed the petition on Change.org!”

Wilmot has already served a ten-day suspension, and is now attending another high school,according to her attorney.

http://tv.msnbc.com/2013/05/15/charg...ce-experiment/

SHELLEE, Sleuth and sprynkles like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I'm glad they dropped the charges but I'm still pissed that she was arrested to begin with. This should have NEVER happened.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Silver Member

Good. Now can someone stretch this into some wrongful arrest lawsuit against the people behind these shenanigans? I'd like to see them pay for this kid's higher education.

Kiera Wilmot, 16, was arrested by police in Bartow, Florida, after conducting an unauthorized science experiment which lightly damaged an eight ounce plastic water bottle.
    That reads like it's straight out of the Onion. Or belongs in the "quotes out of context" thread only it's actually, unbelievably, in context.

I'm glad charges are dropped but like everyone else, still pissed the kid had to go through this.

I feel bad for her that she had to change schools too.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

I wouldn't have gone back to that school if they had begged on bent knee.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I can understand this. I made an apron in home ec at age 13. Should have been brought up on federal charges.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Damn straight. Your seams were criminal.

Teenage chemistry enthusiast won't be charged with felony, will go to space camp

Maggie Koerth-Baker at 1:40 pm Thu, May 16, 2013

Kiera Wilmot the Florida 16-year-old who created a small explosion just outside her school before classes started by mixing cleaning solution and tin foil (she was just curious, nobody was harmed) will not be charged with a felony, after all. Florida State Attorneys dropped the charges against Wilmot yesterday. After her case garnered national attention, she ended up with a lawyer who has defended her mostly for free. There's no word yet on whether she'll be allowed to return to the school that expelled her and pressed charges in the first place.

In the meantime, the Internet has created a nice happy ending here. Homer Hickam the writer and former NASA engineer whose memoir is the basis of the movie October Sky started a Crowdtilt campaign to send Wilmot and her twin sister Kayla to the Advanced Space Academy program at the U.S. Space Camp in Huntsville, Ala.. The cost of space camp can run upwards of $1200. Hickam paid for Kiera Wilmot to go and the Crowdtilt campaign raised the other $1200 for her sister, plus extra money for their travel expenses. The campaign hit its $2500 goal in just two days and is now up to $2920. Hickam says the extra money is going to the girls' mother.

A second Crowdtilt campaign raised more than $8000 for a Kiera Wilmot Defense Fund. Now that the charges have been dropped, that money will go into a trust, to pay the few legal expenses the family does have and to cover costs associated with Wilmot's education especially since it's still unclear whether she'll be allowed back into the local public school.

Good job, Internet!
    Teenage chemistry enthusiast won't be charged with felony, will go to space camp - Boing Boing

Three cheers for Homer Hickham.
    Sleuth likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information