Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree37Likes

Thread: Supreme Court Rules in Favor of Obama on Health Care

Before you had a choice.
    TrixieBelden likes this.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Quote Originally Posted by Grimmlok View Post
    Before you had a choice.
    Prior to ACA, 40 million people did not have a choice at all. They couldn't get insurance of any kind. Now, they will.

Those 40 million just got fed into the meatgrinder of the insurance industry under pain of fines. No cost controls whatsoever. Could have had AT LEAST a public option, but Obama sold it to the corps for a song then lied about it for months. You'll pardon me if I don't think that's a good thing.

Seriously. You didn't get health CARE reform. You got health INSURANCE reform in THEIR favor.
    I am from the American CIA and I have a radio in my head. I am going to kill you.

Before you had a choice.
    To be insured or push your medical expenses on to everyone who does?

I certainly do not think that this healthcare bill will do anything to alleviate the spiraling costs of health care. However, it is a first step to getting everyone access to care. Over time, I fully expect changes and hope that we will eventually end up with single payer.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Bronze Member

Question, a lot of ER visits are from illegals. With the mandated ACA, I assume that since they are not legal residents or citizens, that they will not be able to get ER treatment?Just curious.

Those 40 million just got fed into the meatgrinder of the insurance industry under pain of fines. No cost controls whatsoever. Could have had AT LEAST a public option, but Obama sold it to the corps for a song then lied about it for months. You'll pardon me if I don't think that's a good thing.

Seriously. You didn't get health CARE reform. You got health INSURANCE reform in THEIR favor.

Vouch infinity.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by TrixieBelden View Post
    Question, a lot of ER visits are from illegals. With the mandated ACA, I assume that since they are not legal residents or citizens, that they will not be able to get ER treatment?Just curious.
    I don't see how this law effects care. It requires you to have insurance or face a fine. It doesn't say a provider can turn you away because you don't have insurance. Same goes for immigration status.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    To be insured or push your medical expenses on to everyone who does?

I certainly do not think that this healthcare bill will do anything to alleviate the spiraling costs of health care. However, it is a first step to getting everyone access to care. Over time, I fully expect changes and hope that we will eventually end up with single payer.
    Like the cost of healthcare is in any way related to actual medical expenses. You pay 3 times as much as the rest of the industrialized world specifically because you do NOT have any cost controls. Combine that with ridiculous profit margins the corps want to make and voila. You're at their mercy.

Single payer is the way to go, but your government is bought and paid for.

Yup, all true, but I choose to believe that we have to start somewhere.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll

No, we didn't and the markets affirmed that because the value of health-insurance company stocks went down -- because they are going to make LESS of a profit. However, Fitch's ratings on health insurance and managed care companies to be "neutral" - margins for these companies would be under pressure.

In terms of improving the situation for older Americans, Reuters' analysis was their options for health coverage would be "improved greatly" starting in 2014, when the state health exchanges are launched.

The article further stated:
    Middle-class insurance shoppers will be able to buy an individual commercial policy with a government subsidy to assure affordability. But this marketplace will not be anything like the current individual insurance market, where applicants can be denied based on pre-existing conditions, prices are high and coverage is weak. Especially important for those over 50, the ACA forbids insurance companies from charging higher premiums or denying coverage based on health or age, and insurance companies will no longer be permitted to disqualify applicants based on pre-existing conditions.

Applicants will be eligible for federal subsidies on the cost of coverage if they make less than 400 percent of the federally defined poverty level - currently $92,000 for a family of four. For this group, the subsidy uses a sliding scale to hold costs as a share of income between 2 percent and 9.5 percent.
    Meanwhile, lower-income consumers in that 50-64 age range will be among the biggest beneficiaries of a major expansion of Medicaid - also paid for by the federal government.

Your numbers are WAY off. $92k for a family of four is nowhere near the poverty limits. Where did you get that figure from?

Never mind, I found the actual figures from the HHS website.

2012 Poverty Guidelines for the
    48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
    Persons in
    family/household Poverty guideline
    1 $11,170
    2 15,130
    3 19,090
    4 23,050
    5 27,010
    6 30,970
    7 34,930
    8 38,890
    For families/households with more than 8 persons,
    add $3,960 for each additional person.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/12poverty.shtml/

ETA: never mind again. i see where it says 400% of poverty level.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

All those people who are against a single payer system can agree to give up their Medicare now.
    louiswinthorpe111 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Your numbers are WAY off. $92k for a family of four is nowhere near the poverty limits. Where did you get that figure from?

Never mind, I found the actual figures from the HHS website.

2012 Poverty Guidelines for the
    48 Contiguous States and the District of Columbia
    Persons in
    family/household Poverty guideline
    1 $11,170
    2 15,130
    3 19,090
    4 23,050
    5 27,010
    6 30,970
    7 34,930
    8 38,890
    For families/households with more than 8 persons,
    add $3,960 for each additional person.

2012 HHS Poverty Guidelines
    The $92k is 400% (or 4x) the poverty level - you have substantially the same figure.

Wall Street panics if a CEO blinks funny. That's not a litmus test for how this will play out.

The panic comes from the premium limits. Insurers set rates based on risk (much like your car insurance company does... more accidents equals high premiums). Since essentially this bill severely hampers (all but guts) the ability to set a rate that actually covers the person's expenses and yields a profit, Wall Street just shit itself.

In theory, however, insurers will get a boon of new members (i.e. premiums) that should make up for the profit loss on the other end. We'll see.

Still, I agree with Grim and others... this is insurance reform, not health care reform.

It's not even reforming insurance. It's expansion of insurance. Sorry, but insurance companies are a for profit entity. They make profits by either making over pverpay for premiums or denying claims. My health and well being is not their priority, their profits and shareholders are. THAT's BS.
    TrixieBelden likes this.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information