Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Richard III: skeleton found under carpark is the king

I wish my family kept records. I tried to do ancestry.com and 10 minutes into I thought I would murder someone. So frustrating.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I can't find the article, but I'd read a while back that was specifically about Americans with royal ancestry. I think it was put out by MIT or an Ivy League school, and they said that since so many poor people didn't survive the Black Death, it kind of ended up being the upper classes who ended up repopulating Europe. It's not that the upper classes didn't die from bubonic plague, but that they were more able to isolate themselves from the spread of it.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Plus they would have been healthier in general. They ate better and didn't work themselves to death in horrific conditions.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

and they had better wardrobes.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^yes, that's true too about the general health conditions. LOL about the wardrobes too, that would make me want to live longer too.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Large Man with Dead Body: Who's that then?
    The Dead Collector: I dunno, must be a king.
    Large Man with Dead Body: Why?
    The Dead Collector: He hasn't got shit all over him.

-Monty Python
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    So you're related to Maria Antoniette too?
    Haven't seen her on the charts but I LOVE cake!

I agree that most of us can trace back royalty. I am just happy that I have family members who have kept such great records. It's helpful when you want to join DAR and other groups like that. I have no desire to join any of them but it's nice to know the leg work has been done.

In the end, we all know that I am ruled by URanus - just one of the many joys of being an Aquarian.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

I recently did Hubby and I's genealogy, but only as far back as US immigration for most of it because, well, I would actually need to travel to Europe for the rest. Some really fascinating stories and sad ones, too. Also found out Hubby's Grandfather was adopted that way, which wasn't much of a family secret except NONE of the grandchildren knew about it because it was a semi-scandalous story.

Surprisingly we didn't bump into each other at all. I was really expecting for us to be related in some fashion, but with his mother's family coming over from Italy (where none of my family are from) we would have to go back further to connect, I guess.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Elite Member

Sluce, you might want to look at The Jamestown Society for family records pre-1700. My grandmother was a member through one arm of her family that came over as obstreperous Huguenots who got chased out of everywhere else.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

King Richard III was 'a brummie' - Telegraph

You have to go to the link to play the video; it won't embed. I found this fascinating to listen to. I've wondered what people actually sounded like hundreds of years ago. Could we even have understood one another? This is an English scholar reading an original letter by King Richard in an approximation of how he may have spoken; English spelling was far from standard back then, and people usually spelled as they spoke, so their spelling betrays their pronunciation/accent. Hence the deduction that he probably spoke with something of a Midlands accent.

In other Ricardian news, apparently now the City of York is dueling with Leicester over where Richard will be buried. I guess you don't get to win a Royal burial for your city every day, yup. Team York here, or perhaps Fotheringhay Castle where he was born and many of his relatives are buried, but really, shouldn't he go to Westminster Abbey? Scandal!

LOLRichard:

Here's the text of the article with the video, though you still gotta visit the link to play the video:

Dr Philip Shaw, from the University of Leicester's School of English, used two letters penned by the last king of the Plantagenet line more than 500 years ago to try to piece together what the monarch would have sounded like.

He studied the king's use of grammar and spelling in postscripts on the letters.

The university has now released a recording of Dr Shaw mimicking King Richard reading extracts from those letters.

Despite being the patriarch of the House of York, the king's accent "could probably associate more or less with the West Midlands" than from Yorkshire or the North of England, said Dr Shaw.

"But that's an accent you might well see in London - an educated London accent," he said.

"Possibly even a northern one but there are no northern symptoms, so there's nothing to suggest a Yorkshire accent in the way that he writes, I'm sorry to say for anyone who associates him with Yorkshire."
    The first letter was written in 1469 before Richard became king - and well before his death at the Battle of Bosworth Field in 1485 - and is an urgent request for a 100 loan, while he rode to put down a rising in Yorkshire.
    The second letter from 1483 was written following his ascent to the throne, penned during a rebellion by the Duke of Buckingham.
    Dr Shaw said although some of the writings would have been done by secretaries, the "quirks" of King Richard's added notes provided an insight.
    He said: "Like today, there were various dialects around the country.
    "Unlike today, individuals were more likely to spell words in ways that reflected their local dialect.
    "The language shows no evidence of northern English dialect features, largely reflecting the relatively standard, London-derived spelling system also used by Richard's secretaries.
    "However, there is also at least one spelling he employs that may suggest a West Midlands accent."
    Last edited by Kathie_Moffett; February 12th, 2013 at 06:39 AM.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Count me as another Plantaganet geek *shakes fist at Tudors* and archaeology nerd who got excited about this story.

raising hand up!! me too! Its just so cool identifying him was possible.

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    We have traced back to the 1100s on my Grandmother's side and that went back to Llywelyn the Great. Seeing photos of statues of him is funny because we all have the Llywelyn chin. It is still the family name on that side, although there are several different spellings once we hit the US in the early 1600s. Then on my grandfathers's side it goes back to this fun loving group.

We have family bibles on both sides that go way back and have been carefully protected. I had a great trip to England years ago where we were able to visit very old churches and see actual family records. I love history and get excited by all the old historical places here in the Philly area. Then you get to Europe and realize just how young our country is, and that what we consider to be old, is really very new.

So yes, I can trace back to royalty several ways from my mother's family. Then there is my father who came to the US from Italy as a child, making me 1st generation born in the US. I can proudly say we had some good news from that side of the family today too. A family member was acquitted of some pesky charges, although he may be retried for racketeering.

Sluce, I'm impressed with your knowledge of your family history. How cool, I'm a nerd for the Brirish royalty history.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    But does she get a tiara out of it?
    no.
    Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    No way Mel will share!

I did send my uncle that Hide and Seek pic and told him to add it to the family bible since our ancestor set the world record. He replied with a very long, and VERY dry, reply about how Richard was not intentionally hiding. Ya think???
    damn straight! not intentionally hiding? oh, this is so shocking. what a dry little turd your relative is...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Sounds like a very special tiara is called for! Sluce, how incredibly interesting!! So....any interest in the throne? And do you ever get a sudden, inexplicable urge to whap irritating folks with a large sword?
    HEY! I already said "no", now off with your head!
    Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    Elizabeth of York actually had a much stronger claim to the throne in her own right after the death of her uncle, Richard III. Main reason why Henry VII married her. By doing so he weakened the claim of the rest of the House of York.

I find Tudor history and British history, in general, fascinating. A lot of "what if" questions surrounding the Tudors.
    ME too! Those damn Tudors... such a filthy lot!
    Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ That's quite true. The royalty part for sure. It's estimated that enormous amounts of of modern English people (some estimates are in the 90's percentage wise) are descended from Edward III
    incestuous bastards!
    Quote Originally Posted by Butterfly View Post
    I wish my family kept records. I tried to do ancestry.com and 10 minutes into I thought I would murder someone. So frustrating.
    shit, you can find a lot there. Traced my paternal line back to around 1400 England but my maternal side (shedevil's and my shared line) was pretty sketchy due to the Native American great great grandfather being killed...
    Quote Originally Posted by rockchick View Post
    Sluce, I'm impressed with your knowledge of your family history. How cool, I'm a nerd for the Brirish royalty history.
    I think alot of us are. It's just fascinating stuff to me!
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    no.
    shit, you can find a lot there. Traced my paternal line back to around 1400 England but my maternal side (shedevil's and my shared line) was pretty sketchy due to the Native American great great grandfather being killed...
    That is the reason why I tried... I wanted to learn more about my Native American great great grandmother. You hit a brick wall pretty damn quick and it gets frustrating.
    ><((((>. . `.><((((>><((((>`..`...><((((>.`.. ><((((> `..`...><((((>

I've recently sent in my DNA testing kit in hopes to learn more about my possible Chippewa link. We shall see. For now it's only a rumor from my French Canadian side, but we will see.
    Butterfly likes this.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information