Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree72Likes

Thread: Richard III: skeleton found under carpark is the king

I have stated here before that my family history traces back to the royals, as it is for many people. Here is the email I received from a family member who keeps the family bible and records. Is he accurate in his historic telling? He doesn't have much of a sense of humor so I am going to send him some of the pictures from this thread!

If you missed the news, they have found and identified the remains of King Richard III of England. He was killed in battle by your 16th great grandfather, Henry VII. Richard was the last of the Plantagenet kings and Henry was the first of the Tudor kings. Richard was your 17th great grand uncle and the brother of King Edward IV, your 17th great grandfather. Henry married Elizabeth Plantagenet, daughter of Edward IV, and spared her other brothers who fought with Richard instead of executing them for treason. Henry derived his right to the throne through his mother. Henry was the last English King to gain his throne by defeating his rival in battle.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

He looks like RPattz's less favored older brother.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Very cool, sluce!
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

But does she get a tiara out of it?
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

No way Mel will share!

I did send my uncle that Hide and Seek pic and told him to add it to the family bible since our ancestor set the world record. He replied with a very long, and VERY dry, reply about how Richard was not intentionally hiding. Ya think???
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Quote Originally Posted by sluce View Post
    I have stated here before that my family history traces back to the royals, as it is for many people. Here is the email I received from a family member who keeps the family bible and records. Is he accurate in his historic telling? He doesn't have much of a sense of humor so I am going to send him some of the pictures from this thread!

If you missed the news, they have found and identified the remains of King Richard III of England. He was killed in battle by your 16th great grandfather, Henry VII. Richard was the last of the Plantagenet kings and Henry was the first of the Tudor kings. Richard was your 17th great grand uncle and the brother of King Edward IV, your 17th great grandfather. Henry married Elizabeth Plantagenet, daughter of Edward IV, and spared her other brothers who fought with Richard instead of executing them for treason. Henry derived his right to the throne through his mother. Henry was the last English King to gain his throne by defeating his rival in battle.
    Elizabeth Plantagenet (Elizabeth York), who Henry VII married had no brothers that fought with Richard. She had two younger brothers - the famous Princes in the Tower, and another that died as a toddler while her father, Edward IV was still living.

But other than that, it's pretty accurate. If someone is descended from both Edward IV, and Henry VII directly (great grandfathers), than it comes through Margaret or Mary Tudor, as Elizabeth and Henry's only surviving son Henry VIII had no descendants, his direct line died when all his children died without issue. If either of those sisters sounds right, then your relative is correct.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; February 5th, 2013 at 10:27 PM.
    Jana likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I've read in various places Richard III deflowered his niece, Elizabeth of York, at the time his wife, Anne Neville, was dying.
    “What are you looking at, sugar-tits?” - Mel Gibson

A*O

I think most of us with northern european DNA can claim a royal connection somewhere along the line but it's cool that sluce has a rellie with the time and patience to do the family tree so far back. Previous generations tended to have LOTSA kids and kings were shagmeisters anyway so it's hardly surprising really.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

We have traced back to the 1100s on my Grandmother's side and that went back to Llywelyn the Great. Seeing photos of statues of him is funny because we all have the Llywelyn chin. It is still the family name on that side, although there are several different spellings once we hit the US in the early 1600s. Then on my grandfathers's side it goes back to this fun loving group.

We have family bibles on both sides that go way back and have been carefully protected. I had a great trip to England years ago where we were able to visit very old churches and see actual family records. I love history and get excited by all the old historical places here in the Philly area. Then you get to Europe and realize just how young our country is, and that what we consider to be old, is really very new.

So yes, I can trace back to royalty several ways from my mother's family. Then there is my father who came to the US from Italy as a child, making me 1st generation born in the US. I can proudly say we had some good news from that side of the family today too. A family member was acquitted of some pesky charges, although he may be retried for racketeering.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    But does she get a tiara out of it?
    Sounds like a very special tiara is called for! Sluce, how incredibly interesting!! So....any interest in the throne? And do you ever get a sudden, inexplicable urge to whap irritating folks with a large sword?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

No. Most the time, I just want to eat cake. That would explain why family members, from both sides there, ended up poor and on ships to America.

So you're related to Maria Antoniette too?
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Elizabeth Plantagenet (Elizabeth York), who Henry VII married had no brothers that fought with Richard. She had two younger brothers - the famous Princes in the Tower, and another that died as a toddler while her father, Edward IV was still living.

But other than that, it's pretty accurate. If someone is descended from both Edward IV, and Henry VII directly (great grandfathers), than it comes through Margaret or Mary Tudor, as Elizabeth and Henry's only surviving son Henry VIII had no descendants, his direct line died when all his children died without issue. If either of those sisters sounds right, then your relative is correct.
    Elizabeth of York actually had a much stronger claim to the throne in her own right after the death of her uncle, Richard III. Main reason why Henry VII married her. By doing so he weakened the claim of the rest of the House of York.

I find Tudor history and British history, in general, fascinating. A lot of "what if" questions surrounding the Tudors.

We all are related and come from royalty, since we all came from Adam & Eve.

Srsly, this is cool...I learn a lot from these threads. I find this all fascinating.
    ><((((º>·. ¸¸. ·´¯`·.¸¸><((((º>><((((º>`·.¸¸.··´¯`·...¸><((((º>¸.·´¯`·.. ><((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>

^ That's quite true. The royalty part for sure. It's estimated that enormous amounts of of modern English people (some estimates are in the 90's percentage wise) are descended from Edward III
    sluce likes this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information