Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree19Likes

Thread: Retired NYPD cop on disability pension now a sheriff near Miami runs marathons

^ Drew Peterson? His isn't disability, it's retirement, something like $80k/yr. He was already retired before his conviction. I remember they were trying to take it away from him since he's in prison but not sure if that happened or not. I think once officers have 25 years on the job, they can retire and collect their pension, regardless of age. So someone who starts on the force at 25 can start collecting at 50. The guy who runs my small town's police department was retired from another city's force when he took the job in his early 50's. So he's collecting his pension and a salary from my town. Nothing illegal about it.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

In my state, it is 20 years of service. We have lots of 40somethings with a lifetime pension and medical coverage. Of course, they go back to work and by the time they are 62-64, they have 2 pensions.

Late to the party... NYPD hires prior to 2009 were awarded 75% of their annual salary as disability payment plus whatever SSDI gave them. The law changed and now it's a tier system- 1/3rd to 50% less SSDI.

Depending on the NYPD medical board's findings, you can still work and collect your NYPD disability payment but their are income limitations.

But the disability payment is on what condition the injury/whatever is at time of retirement and that's it?

Str8 - I found your posts on the previous page very clear - thanks for that.

Fuller report:
    XCLUSIVE: Ex-cop on disability legally bilks New York state
    Graham Rayman, Stephen Rex Brown NEW YORK DAILY NEWS 01/11/2016 3:00 AM ET

facebook4713
    Tweet
    email

Ex-cop on Disability Legally Bilks New York State
    NY Daily News
    00:00 / 01:11

He got hurt chasing a perp — and now he runs marathons on the taxpayers’ dime.

A retired NYPD cop awarded a disability pension after tearing up his knee in a foot pursuit works as a sheriff’s deputy near Miami and runs races — and it’s all legal.

The unabashed abuse of taxpayer dollars is laid bare on the Facebook page of the cop, Christopher DePaolis, where he lamented America’s descent into a handout culture — and shared his decision to screw the state for all it’s worth.

COP ARRESTED FOR DOING ICE BUCKET CHALLENGE ON DISABILITY

“Now I’ll take whatever I can get for this state and not feel one bit bad. If everyone else is going to get free s--t and not have to work. . . . I plan to do the same now. They made it clear to me so now am joining them,” he wrote on Facebook Nov. 7, 2012, the day after President Obama was reelected.
    Christopher DePaolis shared his happiness at scoring the disability pension, as well as his achievements running marathons, on his Facebook page. Pictured, DePaolis and his wife Tara.
    Courtesy
    Christopher DePaolis shared his happiness at scoring the disability pension, as well as his achievements running marathons, on his Facebook page. Pictured, DePaolis and his wife Tara.

On Aug. 30, 2013, DePaolis was approved for his NYPD disability pension, which provides him with $6,839 per month — or $82,069 annually, according to the New York City Police Pension Fund. The pension is tax-free, and also provides health benefits for life.

'THE PRICE IS RIGHT' CONTESTANT BUSTED FOR DISABILITY AFTER BIG WHEEL SPIN

The Broward County Sheriff’s Department hired DePaolis in June. He earns $52,156. A spokeswoman for the sheriff’s department said DePaolis had not disclosed he receives an NYPD disability pension.

“What’s it to you?” DePaolis said in a brief phone conversation with the Daily News before hanging up. “I have no comment.”
    On Christopher DePaolis' Facebook page he posted an image of his Broward County and NYPD badges, along with a message mourning the loss NYPD Officer Randolph Holder.
    Courtesy
    On Christopher DePaolis' Facebook page he posted an image of his Broward County and NYPD badges, along with a message mourning the loss NYPD Officer Randolph Holder.

Astonishingly, the arrangement isn’t prohibited by the terms of the pension.

“There is nothing legally impermissible about that fact pattern,” said Nicole Giambarrese, lawyer for the pension fund.

Tim Hoefer, executive director of the Albany-based Empire Center, said DePaolis’ pension bonanza is a prime example of why the system needs reform.

EX-NYPD COP IN DISABILITY SCAM REFUSES PLEA DEAL
    Christopher DePaolis in his uniform.
    Courtesy
    Christopher DePaolis in his uniform.
    Pictured, retired NYPD cop Christopher DePaolis and his wife Tara.
    Courtesy
    Pictured, retired NYPD cop Christopher DePaolis and his wife Tara.

“It’s infuriating on moral grounds. The system allows it. That’s why it’s so outrageous. They’re not going to take that (pension) away from him,” Hoefer said.

Under New York City administrative code, an officer who has more than 20 years from their date of appointment can work for any law enforcement agency outside New York State.

On Dec. 31, 2013, DePaolis looked back on his year in a Facebook post.

“I was injured in a foot pursuit at work and messed up my knee really bad and my shoulder. I spent a lot of time in surgeries and sitting home. But by May things got a little better, I sold my house then in June was approved for 3/4s (pension) and then moved to fl (Florida) in July,” he wrote, referring to the disability pension that provides three-quarters of a disabled NYPD cop’s highest salary following 20 years of service.
    Christopher DePaolis now works as a sheriff near Miami and runs marathons along with his wife Tara.
    Courtesy
    Christopher DePaolis now works as a sheriff near Miami and runs marathons along with his wife Tara.

But DePaolis, now 43, doesn’t appear incapacitated at all.

On a Father’s Day 5K run in 2014 he finished eighth in his age group.

He shared a photo of himself holding a medal from the Miami Beach Halloween half-marathon in 2014 on Facebook.

He ran a 5K race and scavenger hunt at Disney World this past May with his wife, according to information online.
    Christopher DePaolis lamented America’s descent into a handout culture — and shared his decision to screw the state for all it’s worth.
    Facebook
    Christopher DePaolis lamented America’s descent into a handout culture — and shared his decision to screw the state for all it’s worth.

Photos provided to The News by a tipster also show DePaolis snapping selfies in his Broward County sheriff’s uniform.

“It’s a slap in the face to all law enforcement that wore the uniform ... claiming you had injuries that prevent you from doing law enforcement work. And then you go to another state, join law enforcement and run marathons!” the tipster told The News.

“All while the New York citizens are paying your pension!”

The Patrolmen’s Benevolent Association did not respond to an inquiry.

Hoefer’s Empire Center has pursued litigation for more than six years seeking to make the city and state’s pension funds more transparent.

“If it exists in a way so people can look at it, people can see what’s happening with their tax dollars,” said Hoefer, who added he is awaiting a judge’s ruling on granting the public more access to information on the NYPD pension.

“Without that information you can’t root out cases ... like this.”
    Free Charmed.

Then the Florida papers got in on it.
    How is disabled ex-New York cop fit to work for Broward Sheriff's Office?
    Michael MayoMichael MayoContact ReporterSun Sentinel Columnist
    Mayo: Disabled or fit? Cop case shows loopholes in system
    Privacy Policy

It's one thing to exploit loopholes in a system. It's another to be so brazen about it.

So put Christopher DePaolis in the running for this year's Chutzpah Award.

DePaolis is a former New York City cop who qualified for an $82,069-a-year disability pension in 2013. He retired from the NYPD after 20 years on the force, at age 41, after he injured his knee chasing a criminal suspect.

He wasn't disabled for long. Last June, DePaolis was hired by the Broward Sheriff's Office. He is now a deputy in Oakland Park with a $52,156 annual salary. And he still gets his tax-free payments from New York.

DePaolis, now 43, also has recovered to the point where he runs long-distance races. Earlier this month the New York Daily News published photos from Facebook showing DePaolis after a half-marathon, along with the cover headline "Knee Jerk."

On its face, the whole thing seems outrageous. How could a disabled cop collect big bucks in one place, then be deemed fit to serve in another?

I sent DePaolis an email and left a voicemail seeking comment, but he didn't respond.

A Sheriff's Office spokeswoman said the agency is reviewing the matter, with Internal Affairs starting "a preliminary inquiry" to determine if further investigation is warranted. New York City pension officials say they are looking into the situation.

DePaolis makes for an easy punching bag, and I certainly wonder about his judgment and ethics.

Here's the thing: It's the system's fault as much as his. He apparently hasn't broken any rules or laws.

For starters, DePaolis was never asked on any of his application and medical forms whether he had ever been deemed disabled. And then he passed all the physicals and fitness exams he needed to get hired.

Sheriff's Office records show he was asked about drug use (none), criminal history (none), education (college dropout) and employment background. But there was no question about whether an injury had ever sidelined him from work, or whether he had ever been declared physically unfit for duty.

Asked his reason for leaving the NYPD on the application he filled out last March, DePaolis wrote, "Retired."

Technically that's true.

Before DePaolis' June hiring, a Sheriff's Office background investigator called the NYPD to verify the application information, including retirement as the reason for leaving. "Per policy, no additional information was provided," the background report said.

I suppose DePaolis can be faulted for sins of omission. He didn't tell the Sheriff's Office about the disability pension or the full circumstances of his departure from the NYPD, according to his forms and a spokeswoman.

Then again, if he wasn't specifically asked, why would he?

Perhaps it's time for the Sheriff's Office and state to fine-tune their forms and procedures to learn more about past injuries and disability claims.

DePaolis also can be faulted for a mindset that seems more take-and-sneer than protect-and-serve. The Daily News reported about a Facebook post in which he boasted that he wanted to milk the system for all he could, written the day after President Barack Obama's re-election in 2012. "Now I'll take whatever I can get [from] this state and not feel one bit bad," DePaolis wrote. "If everyone else is going to get free s--- and not have to work. ... I plan to do the same now."

Is this the kind of cop we want on our streets? DePaolis is still in his one-year probationary period, meaning his continued employment is not assured.

It doesn't seem right that DePaolis is back on the job yet still able to collect his disability pension. New York's rules call for automatic revocation or suspension if disability recipients land government jobs in New York, but not out of state. That's a flaw New York needs to fix.

But New York's loss is South Florida's gain. At the time he got his pension, DePaolis bought a $515,000, 3,800-square-foot, five-bedroom house in Coral Springs. Property records show he pays more than $9,000 in annual taxes on the home.

Guess we'll just have to take the money and run.
    And then this follow up:

BSO fires disabled ex-NYPD cop Chris DePaolis
    Michael MayoMichael MayoContact ReporterSun Sentinel Columnist
    Mayo: BSO fires half-marathon running 'disabled' ex-NYPD cop during his one-year probationary period
    Privacy Policy

Remember Christopher DePaolis, the disabled ex-New York City cop fit enough to get hired by the Broward Sheriff's Office and run long-distance races?

He's now an ex-BSO cop, too.

The Sheriff's Office fired DePaolis on Jan. 28, the same day my column about his situation ran in the Sun Sentinel print edition.

According to an agency spokeswoman, DePaolis was fired for "failure to meet probationary standards."

I sent an email and left a voice mail to DePaolis seeking comment, and he declined to comment. According to his termination form, DePaolis "refused" to sign when presented with the document at 3:20 p.m. on Jan. 28.

DePaolis, 43, was hired by BSO last June and assigned to road patrol in Oakland Park. Because DePaolis was still in his one-year probationary period, the agency had the discretion to easily fire him.

The New York Daily News broke the story of DePaolis' situation earlier in January, putting him on its cover with the headline, "Knee Jerk."

DePaolis qualified for an $82,069-a-year disability pension in August 2013. He retired from the NYPD after 20 years on the force, at age 41, after he injured his knee chasing a criminal suspect.

But he recovered to the point where he could run long-distance races and pass all the screenings and physicals to get hired by the Sheriff's Office as a $52,156-a-year deputy. All while still collecting his monthly disability pension checks.

According to the Daily News, DePaolis is being investigated by New York City's police pension board.

He didn't disclose his disability pension or past injuries to the Sheriff's Office, but he also wasn't explicitly asked about them on his application or medical forms.

As I wrote previously, it doesn't appear DePaolis broke any rules or laws getting hired. He simply managed to exploit loopholes in the system.

But he defied common sense and good judgment by trumpeting his new job and running feats on his Facebook page, along with a post-2012 election rant about wanting to "take whatever I can from [New York state] and not feel bad."

I wonder if he feels bad now?
    Free Charmed.

At least one thing on this planet got straightened out.
    sparkles likes this.

Another arrogant dumbass foiled by Facebook. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Re his disability status--I believe that due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer can't ask, and a former employer can't disclose it. All a prospective employer can do is provide a job description with the physical requirements and ask if the employee can perform the "essential functions" of the job, and if not, could they perform them with "reasonable accommodation"--so in this case, the only "disability" that stopped him was a disorder of his big fat mouth.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

This guy sucks. Makes me wonder what kind of cop he was - crooked as hell I'm sure.

I work with pain management doctors & we have fuckloads of patients who are on disability. And trust me, more than a few of them are working the system. One in particular who collects is rebuilding an engine for her classic Porche, & has the audacity to talk about it when she comes in for her injections. Burns my ass up. IDK why her doctor doesn't turn her in. I don't get it. We have another one who claims he can't work because he's in so much pain, but his body is ripped & jacked like he spends all his time in the gym. He's so full of shit, I wish someone would trail his ass & bust him.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Another arrogant dumbass foiled by Facebook. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy.

Re his disability status--I believe that due to the Americans with Disabilities Act, an employer can't ask, and a former employer can't disclose it. All a prospective employer can do is provide a job description with the physical requirements and ask if the employee can perform the "essential functions" of the job, and if not, could they perform them with "reasonable accommodation"--so in this case, the only "disability" that stopped him was a disorder of his big fat mouth.
    OK. It the UK/EU I don't think that you have to say but there is usually a box on the application form (for Govt or local Govt jobs) that states something along the lines of "are you disabled/do you consider yourself to be disabled" or some such.

I'm still shocked that the ugly man is only 43.
    Free Charmed.

Elite Member

I've had a fucked up knee since I was 25 and I've been going to work all these years. Maybe I'm the dummy.
    darksithbunny likes this.

I just found out I could get disability for my problems, but to me, it would change my mental outlook on my condition if I were to get a pension for it. I am still young and I want work and be productive. It terrifies me that one day I will have to file and I really do feel my life would be over at that point. And what really sucks is that I am sure when I do, it won't be easy and I will have to jump through hoops and go through red tape a hundred miles long. I don't need it yet and I still have hope that maybe I never will. I don't see how people who lie and cheat the system can live with that.
    holly likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I just found out I could get disability for my problems, but to me, it would change my mental outlook on my condition if I were to get a pension for it. I am still young and I want work and be productive. It terrifies me that one day I will have to file and I really do feel my life would be over at that point. And what really sucks is that I am sure when I do, it won't be easy and I will have to jump through hoops and go through red tape a hundred miles long. I don't need it yet and I still have hope that maybe I never will. I don't see how people who lie and cheat the system can live with that.
    I know!
    Didn't he post something to that point on facebook after Obama's re-election - hence the alert? Signalling that he did this intentionally, legal or not, imo.
    Free Charmed.

It's really quite common to go out with a disability pension with the NYPD if you joined prior to 2009. I know many, including Rs former partner, who went out on 3/4. He broke his trigger finger and apparently the range of motion loss was enough to end his career. Another I know had Bells Palsy affect his eyelid, leaving it open at all times. That too was considered an issue pertaining to active service standards.

As said above, the pension is awarded based on the officers fitness to serve at that point not necessarily potential fitness in the coming years, if some recovery can happen. There's only so many desk jobs to go around in the department

You're also allowed to work, in most instances. What one department requires for fitness to serve isn't the same with the next.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information