Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree32Likes

Thread: Racist Homeowner Claims His Effigy of Barack Obama Eating Watermelon Isnít Racist

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    The watermelon originated in Africa and parts of the southern US - Native Americans were using it as a source of nutrition and hydration before Europeans ever came. And since slave didn't have access to water all the time, watermelon was ideal for keeping them cool while doing brutal work in the heat. Fried chicken is also not originally a "black" thing, but something brought over to the US by Scotch-Irish colonials. They found out that fried chicken kept longer than chicken that was boiled or baked. When they moved South, prospered and bought African slaves, those slaves worked in their kitchens, and added spices that many brought with them from Africa. And we weren't allowed to own cattle or pigs, but we could own chickens, which were usually fried on Sundays...but trust me, white people ate (and eat) plenty of fried chicken. It's an AMERICAN food staple. And if IIRC, several European countries were frying their chicken long before the US did.
    Thanks for that Bitter, I love food history stuff. I don't know when the fried chicken and watermelon stereotype turned into a such an ugly slur though. My guess is that it's a post Civil War thing, probably later in the 19th century or the early 20th given how many white people in the South starved after the war? It doesn't make sense to me. I have a lot of vintage cookbooks and you see fried chicken recipes in all of them, regardless of what part of the country they came from. And I'm white and my family has eaten fried chicken and watermelon for at least 4 generations that I know of, probably more. Outside of TV or books or whatever, I never heard anyone actually say anything that stupid in real life.

At my college orientation, the school gave all the freshman a talk on diversity and I remember there was an African American speaker who said that everyone thinks that black people love fried chicken and watermelon, but she wanted to tell us that she hated fried chicken and watermelon. I always secretly wondered if she was just saying that just to make a point, because I couldn't think of anything more depressing that hating fried chicken and watermelon.
    BITTER likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

The watermelon originated in Africa and parts of the southern US - Native Americans were using it as a source of nutrition and hydration before Europeans ever came. And since slave didn't have access to water all the time, watermelon was ideal for keeping them cool while doing brutal work in the heat. Fried chicken is also not originally a "black" thing, but something brought over to the US by Scotch-Irish colonials. They found out that fried chicken kept longer than chicken that was boiled or baked. When they moved South, prospered and bought African slaves, those slaves worked in their kitchens, and added spices that many brought with them from Africa. And we weren't allowed to own cattle or pigs, but we could own chickens, which were usually fried on Sundays...but trust me, white people ate (and eat) plenty of fried chicken. It's an AMERICAN food staple. And if IIRC, several European countries were frying their chicken long before the US did.
    Thank you so much for the explanation: now I see why this is especially awful and I can't believe he's saying he doesn't mean to be racist - the reference is not even subtle.

All I have to add is that I'm white and I LOVE fried chicken and watermelon and I always have.
    Waterslide, BITTER and shedevilang like this.

This has nothing to do with anything, but the effigy looks more like Richard Nixon than Barack Obama.
    BITTER and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

I love fried chicken...watermelon too, but I have to watch which ones I eat because I'm allergic to the pesticides they use on some of their crops.
    Waterslide likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

fgg

i've been a veggie for too long so i don't eat fried chicken but i drool over it. i HATE the texture of watermelon though, it's too soft yet crunchy. i'll eat a watermelon jolly rancher though.
    pinkbunnyslippers likes this.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    i've been a veggie for too long so i don't eat fried chicken but i drool over it. i HATE the texture of watermelon though, it's too soft yet crunchy. i'll eat a watermelon jolly rancher though.
    I used to LOVE watermelon daquiris and spritzers.
    MmeVertigina likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

I love fried chicken...watermelon too, but I have to watch which ones I eat because I'm allergic to the pesticides they use on some of their crops.
    That's such a pain in the neck with the pesticides. My parents had tried to grow it themselves before, but they end up being so small it's not worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    I love watermelon flavored things, that's my favorite jolly rancher flavor.
    ~Manx Mouse

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    This has nothing to do with anything, but the effigy looks more like Richard Nixon than Barack Obama.
    Oh thank heavens you posted this. I thought I was the only one. It's repulsive either way, but at least thinking it was Nixon in blackface made it a more surreal type of evil than just the same old rotten human shit.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by heart_leigh View Post
    This isn't racist?? Why do racist people insist what they say/do aren't racist, and then do cowardly stuff like this? At least own your shit, you asshole.
    That is just the way with these bigots. They will deny deny deny that they are racists, even as they are setting alight a cross on the lawn of a black church. They are pretty much beyond hope.

And regarding the food stuff, I like most of the 'stereotypical black foods' like fried chicken, greens, watermelon, and don't forget the grape koolaid/soda! Gonna go and get me a 40 oz now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information