Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
Like Tree460Likes

Thread: Rachel Dolezal, NAACP Leader, Questioned About Race as Parents Say She’s White

She has taken "passing" to a whole new level!! I think she is a huge liar who is holding onto this lie until the end!! No mental I don't believe!
    dilligaf, Clubber Lang and msdeb like this.
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

There's got to be a hairdresser out there who has been perming and coloring her hair, I doubt she could such a convincing job on her own...
    llamamama and Clubber Lang like this.

Rachel Dolezal in "White is the new Black".
    greysfang, joebob, nwgirl and 1 others like this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Kathie_Moffett and dilligaf like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I find this story to be so interesting.

One of my oldest and dearest friends is bi-racial. Her mom is white and her dad was black. An uncle on her dad's side of the family married a white woman. The entire family would refer to her as the blackest member of the family because she completely identified with being black and was 100% about the culture and the issues. She was a lovely woman, truly.

I almost died when I read this comment on HuffingtonPost yesterday:

Brian Williams: "As a black man, I am offended by this."

Just so you all know, I identify as a Mongol warrior. There will be blood.
    sputnik, ikmccall, sluce and 7 others like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Seth82 View Post
    *Meddling.
    greysfang, Laurent, Seth82 and 9 others like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Blackness isn’t something that can be acquired with a little bronzer

A week that started with the nation talking about the police abuse of a young black girl ended with all our eyes on another self-proclaimed black woman: Rachel Dolezal. It was a story of a bizarre fraud—a woman apparently born to a white couple and raised in Idaho who later assumed a key leadership role in her Washington state NAACP branch as a woman of color.

A mix of shock, surprise, humor, and outrage swept through social media in response. There were memes connecting her humorously to pop culture images, thinkpieces on her cultural appropriation, and even a Twitter hashtag #AskRachel that asked pop quiz questions based on black pop culture, practices, and generalizations.

But, scraping the bottom of the barrel was the rising use of the terms “transracial” and “transethnic” to describe a woman with a handy use of bronzer and good wigs. If we could widely celebrate Bruce Jenner’s transition to “Caitlyn”, some people asked, why couldn’t Rachel transition to black?
    This sounds like a reasonable question. Scholars who study race and gender typically argue that both are social constructions—fluid identities that don’t rely on specific physical characteristics. Put simply, the idea of social construction tells us that being born with a vagina doesn’t mean you like to bake and having light skin doesn’t mean you’re white.

Through our language and practices, we take physical characteristics and give them meanings that we perform and enforce in society.
    Transgender identity is not about lying or deceiving people.Social construction is the reason we think leg hair is sexy or unsexy depending on whether you’re a man or a woman (or why we insist that GI Joe action figure is absolutely, positively not a doll). But when it comes to race, social construction can also be a useful concept, because it reminds us that race is largely defined in terms of power.

For as long as the United States has existed, a person’s perceived racial identity has shaped his or her employment, education, housing, health, and economic opportunities and outcomes.

Through the 19th century, enslaved people of African descent who appeared white (often due to the generational rape of enslaved women by white men) were still deemed black and treated as property under American law. Into the 20th century, eugenicists tried to use science to prove the biological inferiority of black people and superiority of whites. In truth, there was never any such thing as a “black gene” or “black blood”, no specific melanin levels, eye colors, brain size, or height that could pinpoint what we mean by “black”. But the idea that blacks were biologically and pathologically flawed continued undeterred.

To overcome discrimination in a society that used race to determined whether one could vote, buy a home, or be killed or raped with impunity, some black people attempted to pass for white. But this was a risky and tragic enterprise, a life of fear in being found out (possibly through the birth of a child that was a little “too” dark) and lifelong estrangement from friends, family, and home. Most of these folks claimed whiteness because of the power and privilege it offered, not because they believed themselves to be essentially white.

Rachel Dolezal’s seeming attempt at “reverse passing” comes with none of this historical baggage, duress, or danger. To put it simply, Rachel Dolezal was a con artist. She was raised with the advantages of being born white in America and can, at any time, return to that identity and privilege. Her lies about her heritage, history, family, and her reports of racial harassment aimed to intentionally and willfully deceive the people around her. In some photos, Dolezal appears to have even darkened her skin and donned wigs to mask her natural hair texture and color. This performance emphasizes hair and skin as definitive racial charateristics (which Dolezal, a woman who teaches black studies andfreely quotes WEB DuBois, knows to be false).

Race is largely defined in terms of power.Dolezal occupied and dominated spaces ostensibly reserved for people who had life-long experiences of racial marginalization and disenfranchisement. And she needlessly fooled people who would have embraced her activism regardless of her racial identity (as numerous folks have pointed out, some of the NAACP’s founding members were white). Unlike those blacks who have attempted to “pass” in order to access the advantages of full citizenship in the United States, in this charade, Dolezal risked her reputation, not her life.

In some ways, it’s understandable that Dolezal might have wanted to distance herself from white identity. Whiteness in American society usurps and eroded ethnic, national, and cultural difference. In America, Irish, Jewish and Italian people became white over time, a process that subordinated their prior identities, loyalties, and cultural traditions. More than that, whiteness survived through brutal and bloody regulation and enforcement. And no doubt being born to parents who spent three years living in a teepee helped make cultural appropriation seem to Rachel a viable lifestyle choice.

But that doesn’t make her black. The term “transracial” comes from a larger context of transracial adoption, of people caring for children of different racial identities than their own. Inherent to the idea of transracial adoption is the question of how to build families across difference, not how to circumvent, ignore, or misrepresent it.
    And transgender identity, too, is not about lying or deceiving people. Being a transgender person exposes the mutability of gender, it doesn’t exploit it. Being a transgender person is largely about escaping the social, physiological, and mental torture that comes with pretending to be the gender that society deems appropriate. Transgender identity is not about evading either subordination or privilege—as Janet Mock puts it, transitioning to a different gender helped her match her body to “the vision I had of myself”.

To conflate trans folks with Dolezal gives credence to the deepest, most malicious lie there is about transgender identity and queer sexuality—that they are deceitful. Being a transgender person is not about misleading the world about your past, in terms of your lineage, upbringing, history, and experiences. It is not about denying who you once were and any advantages you may have had, personally and filtered down through generations. Increasingly, it seems this is exactly what Ra*chel Dolezal has done through untruths about her life and her experience.

Blackness isn’t something that can be acquired with a little bronzer - Quartz
    Brookie and dilligaf like this.

Elite Member

Well, apparantly she will explain to her NAACP coworkers tomorrow. I wonder if she won't just say it was a long term, living art installation on society's perception of race and racism. Like Günther Walraff who went undercover as a Turkish factory worker to expose their poor working conditions. (He later tried and failed to go undercover as a black man to expose racism, and was widely critisised for it).

Personally, I believe she has issues from childhood with her four adopted black siblings and her parents. Does anyone know what her legal problems with her parents are all about?
    It will be interesting to hear, what she has to say for herself, even if she lies thruogh her teeth. And what will she do now - go back to being blonde and white? The whole thing is so bizarre.
    dilligaf and llamamama like this.

The legal problems is that she took one of the adopted black brothers and had him file for emancipation saying he had been the victim of physical punishment, and forced to follow their religious convictions. The case was dropped and the parents agreed the sister could be named as legal guardian. The brother is now 21. Another brother says the case was all lies, and that she came to him 3 years ago and told him to not blow her cover. He also said she went to Howard on scholarship and was not treated well by employees when they found out she is white. He acknowledges she has done some good work but also feels she doesn't really "get it" because she's not black. There are clearly issues with this woman. The NAACP is supposed to make a public statement tomorrow of findings from the investigation they are conducting.
    idunno likes this.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

In Rachel's case, orange is truly the new black.
    dilligaf, sputnik, sluce and 5 others like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

A*O

This is fucking hilarious.

I loved when the TV interviewer asked her if she was African American and she blustered "ultimately we're all from Africa" before running away. I don't care if you have daddy issues, SHAME ON YOU bitch. How much money has she played the ethnicity card to scam from institutions and the Govt. Easy to do though, nobody would dare check. It's racist don't ya know.

There's a new word in the Twitterverse, "transn****r" and Justin Bieber has been voted onto the list.

I'm allowed to comment BTW because I'm 1/128th Jamaican. If this woman loses her job as she bloody well should maybe I can apply for it? Not sure I can afford the tanning or hair products though.
    Last edited by A*O; June 14th, 2015 at 05:08 PM.
    sputnik, nwgirl, holly and 2 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

I wonder if she used affirmative action to obtain employment.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread Information