Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree111Likes

Thread: Pregnant teen wins abortion case against her parents

Quote Originally Posted by CornFlakegrl View Post
    Name another medical procedure that can be performed on a minor without parental consent?
    If she was giving the baby up for adoption she would be considered emancipated and would not need parental consent for her medical care or to sign a binding legal contract to terminate her parental rights as a minor. Those laws were put in place to make sure grandparents couldn't stop an adoption. However, the same minor girl can't get an abortion without the consent of her parents in many states. Isn't it nice how the laws pressue the girl to not abort by imposing parental consent but block those parents from having a say in her giving the child away.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

So basically, teenagers have rights, but no responsibilities. Be an irresponsible idiot, don't use birth control, refuse to have an abortion, pop out a kid and have your parents or other tax payers pay for it, no problem. What a bunch of BS.
    A*O likes this.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

ETA: first paragraph was in response to sluce...

I see what you're saying. The consent on abortion is difficult for me. On the one hand, I'd like for teenage girls who are in trouble to be able to deal with it quickly and safely without fear of their parents. On the other, I imagine my own daughter at say, 14, trying to get herself to a clinic, alone. I shudder to think what happens if there are complications during or after and I'm not able to help her because I don't know. Of course that's my personal feelings/fears seeping in.

I wonder how much of the consent issue is about protecting doctors?

At any rate, my kid would get the consent. And if she wanted to have the baby, I'd spend every waking minute trying to reason with her. What I wouldn't do is gnash my teeth and pound my fists in some Old Testament rage while attempting to force an abortion on her like she's some piece of cattle I own and not a human being.
    sluce, yanna and Flygirl like this.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Here's a bit more on this one:

Texas Teen Who Sued Parents Over Abortion Clash Back With Mom

It was a case that made national headlines a pregnant 16-year-old in Texas emancipated herself from her parents because she felt they were pressuring her to have an abortion. Now, just four months later, that same teen is back living with her mother and awaiting the birth of her son.

In many ways Reagan (who has requested her last name not be used) is a lot like any high school student excited about having her driver's license, planning for summer vacation and hanging out with her friends.

Watch the full story on "20/20: With Parents Like These" TONIGHT at 10 ET.

But unlike most of her high school peers, Reagan is no longer legally considered a child. Under Texas law, she is an adult. In February she made the agonizing decision to emancipate herself from her parents, who are divorced.
    The high school junior took her parents to court in Harris County, Texas, to sever their parental rights after she became pregnant and argued with her parents over whether she should have abortion.

"I was furious with both of them," Reagan said in an interview with "20/20." "I wasn't trying to be a stubborn teenager."

Reagan had met her boyfriend, Evan, during summer vacation. A sophomore at a neighboring high school, he shared her love of horses and the outdoors. The two started spending more and more time together after Reagan got her driver's license.

"I've never dated someone who treated me good like that," said Reagan, who fell hard for the handsome 16-year-old. "I think me and him actually got close, really quick." (OF COURSE NOT, YOU'RE FUCKING 16!!!!!!!!!!!!)

Reagan's mother, Denise Koen, talked to her daughter about sex and preventing pregnancy. "I said, If you're going to choose to have sex, then you need to ensure that you're going to protect yourself," said Koen. "We'll get you on birth control. I don't want you to set yourself up to fail."

But Reagan stopped taking her birth control pills and soon after discovered that she was pregnant. She told Evan, who was shocked by the news.
    "[I] wasn't expecting to be 16 and having a baby," Evan said.

Reagan held off telling her parents. "I didn't know what my mom was going to think," she said. "Especially Dad, you know, because, it's like your fear when you're a teenage daughter is, Oh my God, my dad!'"
    After she broke the news, her father, Jeff Koen, was very upset. "It's a mistake, done by kids that obviously don't know what they're doing," he said, referring to the pregnancy.

Reagan's mother said she and her ex-husband gave Reagan three options abortion being only one of them.

But Reagan told Evan and his parents that she was afraid her parents might force her to terminate her pregnancy. "She asked us to please help her," said Jaime Burnside, Evan's mother. "And I said, I don't know what I can do, but I'll figure out something."

Evan's parents contacted attorneys from Texas Center for the Defense of Life on Reagan's behalf.
    The next thing Denise Koen knew, her daughter had obtained a temporary restraining order against her and her ex-husband. "I looked at her, I'm like, Really?" recalled Denise. "Where did this come about?"

Within a week the emancipation of Reagan was underway. Both families went before a judge, and Reagan's parents signed an agreement to allow her to marry Evan, thus emancipating her.

In an exclusive interview with ABC News, Reagan's parents and her maternal grandmother, Diane Bailey, said they believed Reagan was manipulated by attorneys with an anti-abortion agenda, who used Reagan to publicize their cause. "They are activists," Bailey said about the attorneys. "They want to make a sensation for themselves."

Reagan's family was frustrated, Bailey said, because no attempts at mediation were made, and Reagan's signature was legible on legal documents, revealing her identity.

"For us," Reagan's attorney, Steven Casey, told ABC News, the "lawsuit is, for lack of a better phrase, the nuclear option."

Meanwhile, Reagan was adjusting to the idea of being emancipated from her mom and dad.

"I had an idea of what emancipation was," she said. "But I never got, like, the whole gist of it." (Being an adult with real responsibilities, FUCK THAT NOISE!)

Reagan broke off contact with her parents. She and Evan were living with his family and preparing to have the baby, due in September.
    Then, in yet another surprise twist, just two weeks ago they moved out of the Burnsides' house and moved in with Reagan's mother.
    "They made the choice to move back to my home," said Denise Koen. "I know we're going to have to take everything slowly, but it's such a blessing. I'm really, really pleased that she's back."

Watch the full story on "20/20: With Parents Like These" TONIGHT at 10 ET.

Okay then, I just don't even know.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Oh dear Gawd...

Enjoy summer break, kiddo. It'll be the last one you'll ever be free of baggage to enjoy. Unless you plan on ricocheting between your parent's and the BF's, depending on who is the softest touch at the time.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I watched this last night. The boy had lost his parttime job and they had saved about 300 for the baby.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

A*O

I sometimes have serious doubts about natural selection and survival of the fittest.
    sluce and Beeyotch like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

They need to sue those anti-choice lawyers who got her into this mess.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

She stopped taking her pills and then shockingly enough got pregnant. Yeah, about that.

The boy was surprised she was pregnant, according to her. I wonder if he knew she was off the pill
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    I sometimes have serious doubts about natural selection and survival of the fittest.
    Just sometimes? It's all the time for me.

Sex is bad, mmkay? Just say no to sex. That's my solution to this whole thing from this point forward. No more sex for anyone.

Quote Originally Posted by lucianodel View Post
    Well, in Poland when you go to school at 40 you can still sue your parents for financial support because you're educating yourself and it's their duty to pay for it. And judges are actually approving of this.
    whaaaaa???
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    The boy was surprised she was pregnant, according to her. I wonder if he knew she was off the pill
    This is why, if you are raising a son,start NOW with the condom-only idea. I raised mine from age 10 with the "trust no one" that worked. Start early & say it often: don't be a fool, cover your tool. I think a lot of boys get set up,but this is for life.
    Kittylady likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Everytime I read this, I get pissed. I would be really hard-pressed to let this little know-it-all, emancipated & MARRIED bitch back up in my house! You know best, good... now, run back to your husband and YOUR mother in law and y'all have a jolly good fucking life. Will not babysit, do not want to support your or your choice in any way. You wanted to play house, now go play. buh-bye!
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

The interview with this Mom and Dad showed how hurt they were that their daughter did this to them. The attorneys for the girl made it sound like the parents were going to force her to abort and they got threats and had no real chance to tell their side. They were not invited to their only daughter's wedding. So much heart break. I am not surprised that the Mom is trying to right the situation to prove to others that she was not the monster she was made out to be. It's sad all the way around.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information