Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Only in Scotland: Aldi beats M&S and Waitrose to be named best supermarket by Which?

i didn't know aldi was so popular all around the world, especially in the states.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    no aldi's near me either. there's one all the way up in queens somewhere but i'm in park slope and work in midtown so it's way out of the way for me.
    i will continue being a slave to trader joe's. so far it's the cheapest grocery store i've found in new york. everything else seems really expensive for what it is. there's a c-town close to where i live that is pretty limited and is at least 20-30% more than what i pay at trader joe's. and there's a key foods that's even closer and it's fantastic but expensive so i only go there when i don't have time to go to trader joe's and need to buy dinner or i'm out of coffee or milk or something.
    Trader Joe's is great, but a little too specialized for me. I also hate that my state bans the sale of alcohol in supermarkets except for one store in an entire chain. So, I have never been able to try Three-buck-Chuck.

Also wanted to mention that Trader Joe's is actually owned by the same corporate trust (Albrecht) that owns Aldi.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Like almost no other - I still remember when the football players went on strike and everybody was fielding a scab team. Buddy Ryan fielded one under protest and the players were awful. But he didn't care, and the fans clearly hated them.
    Whaddya expect - we booed Santa Claus...
    MohandasKGanja likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Also wanted to mention that Trader Joe's is actually owned by the same corporate trust (Albrecht) that owns Aldi.
    Haha! I was going to post that too!
    Free Charmed.

Yeah, but I think one brother runs TJs and another one runs Aldi.

TJ and Aldi use the same practices to keep costs down. Their brands are actually manufactured by the big brands and placed in store packaging. Also if you're waiting for TJ to open in your area, you stand a higher chance of getting one if there is an Aldi in the state.

We have two Aldi's near my house. Neither is convenient for me so I don't shop there often. What I do want is Publix. I miss them so much. the closest we have here is Harris Teeter which is crazy expensive.

Lots of supermarket use "brand" companies to maufacture produces & then "own label" them. Some use similar receipies some use different ones. *shrug*
    Free Charmed.

I shop at Aldi every Friday. Nobody around here touches their prices. Maybe on a few items, but across the board, they are the least expensive.

To give an example, out here, Walmart sells a bag of almonds for $5.99. Aldi sells the same size bag for $3.99. Their dishwasher detergent is a dollar less than Walmart's also. Blocks of cheese for about $1.70 instead of $2.00 to $3.00 at other stores.

That's an interesting point. The Aldi out here closes at 8 pm on weeknights. As opposed to 11 pm for other stores. I'm always getting stuck late at work on Fridays. I have driven like a madman from work to Aldi at about 7:45 and careened up and down aisles with my cart, loading it up and getting in line before the place closed.

And until recently, it was closed on Sunday's. It kind of reminded me of Chik-Fil-A in that sense.
    Hey MG--do you have Wegman's in your area??? That shit is the BOMB right there....but I do like Aldi's as well. We have several in this area and I will hit one if I see something in the flyer. I have gotten some insane deals on vegetable plants for my garden and flowers. Even seafood. The problem I personally see w/Aldi's is the stock is limited---like once its gone, its gone. So unless I am super fast, I tend to miss out. Not their problem, mine.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information