Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Only in Scotland: Aldi beats M&S and Waitrose to be named best supermarket by Which?

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Here in the UK they pay their staff way more than any other retail store & have a great management training scheme...
    I hope it's the same way here, because the Aldi staff work their asses off. They run the register and restock the shelves and straighten up the aisles when they aren't working the register. They are in constant motion. Very friendly and smart. I have NEVER seen someone run so many items through a register so fast.
    Novice likes this.

I am glad that you are enjoying Aldi as much as I am!
    Free Charmed.

I am glad that you are enjoying Aldi as much as I am!
    I love it. I've shopped there almost every Friday since 2005. I think that translates to about 350 or so trips, spending an average of about $60 per trip. Holy moley, I've spent $21,000 there!

^ It's scary when you work it out like that isn't it?!

I didn't know they paid the most, Novice. Interesting.

And how much would you have spent if you went elsewhere? (ie how much have you saved? It's late, forgive me!)

I've shopped there since 1993? Or so & the labels used to be in German - learning & shopping in one trip. It made shopping so much more exciting! Never mind, eh?
    Free Charmed.

And how much would you have spent if you went elsewhere? (ie how much have you saved? It's late, forgive me!)

I've shopped there since 1993? Or so & the labels used to be in German - learning & shopping in one trip. It made shopping so much more exciting! Never mind, eh?
    It's kind of scary to think about how much I would spend if I didn't shop at Aldi's. The grocery store upthe street from me is a Giant - which is mainly common to the Baltimore-DC area. They charge AT LEAST 25-50% more for similar products. So, I would have spent an extra $7,500 on groceries.

I've told my wife that every time I walk into Giant (which I go to mainly for ice cream and corn on the cob - no lie) and see how much they charge for stuff, I want to punch the manager in the face. I know that sounds bad. My brother worked for Giant in college - a clerk in the pharmacy. As part of taking the job, he had to join the Teamsters union. I'm not anti-union by any means, but joining the Teamsters so you can put bottles of pills out on the shelves......wtf?

My SIL shopped at Aldi's almost every day when my BIL was stationed in Germany - she loved the place, but they don't seem to have a presence at all where they live now - Williamsburg, Virgnia area.

i miss aldi's! i use to live in the midwest, and we had plenty of them. out in here in las vegas we don't have any.

Quote Originally Posted by dexter7 View Post
    i miss aldi's! i use to live in the midwest, and we had plenty of them. out in here in las vegas we don't have any.
    Aldi Locations in Las Vegas, NV

Aldi Locations in Las Vegas, NV

7 results within 50 miles
    Aalto
    317 Garces Ave # A, Las Vegas, NV 89101 7.0 mi. Map & Directions
    Wild
    2880 Meade Ave # B, Las Vegas, NV 89102 7.5 mi. Map & Directions
    Aldo
    3200 Las Vegas Blvd S # 2375, Las Vegas, NV 89109 8.3 mi. Map & Directions
    Aldo
    3663 Las Vegas Blvd S # 365, Las Vegas, NV 89109
    ★★★★☆
    1 review 9.2 mi. Map & Directions
    Aldo
    6551 Las Vegas Blvd S # C147, Las Vegas, NV 89119 11.9 mi. Map & Directions
    Ulta
    9857 S Eastern Ave, Las Vegas, NV 89123
    ★★★★☆
    9 reviews 16.9 mi. Map & Directions
    Aldo
    32100 Las Vegas Blvd S, Jean, NV 89019

Maps & directions at the link...
    Free Charmed.

thank you novice! but those aren't real aldi's most of them are shoe stores (aldo's) when we first moved out here we tried to find one, and we used the aldi website to look one up. they didn't have any (i don't think we have any in the entire state of nevada), and in general they had very few in the western usa. right now i just tried to do a store look up on their website, but it isn't working for me.
    Last edited by dexter7; June 27th, 2012 at 04:04 PM.

Elite Member

I love it. I've shopped there almost every Friday since 2005. I think that translates to about 350 or so trips, spending an average of about $60 per trip. Holy moley, I've spent $21,000 there!
    What about the meats? How is the quality?

There is one about 20 minutes away, but since the hours aren't great I can't really sneak in an early morning shopping trip and I'd have to fight the traffic there at the end of the working day. Maybe the next time I'm up in that area (there is a crappy low-end mall nearby and a big Walmart down the street) on a weekend I'll give it a shot.

I'm fortunate, though, that the next town over there is a supermarket that is very cheap. I doubt Aldi's would beat most of their prices.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I think they use non-union labor in their stores - which means that their entrance into certain communities would be hotly contested by stores that are union shops.
    And Philly is a serious union town.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

The only time I've ever walked into an Aldi the first thing I saw was boxes of chocolate cakes - not a box with a cake in it, but a giant box with about 6 full size chocolate cakes. I can't shop in a place where they encourage you to buy in bulk like that - who needs 6 cakes on a regular basis? So I stick with my local Asian supermarket and organic produce markets.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Milk is $1 cheaper per gallon too. They do pay their ppl well. Starting pay for a checker is $12 per hour, and you get health insurance also. Pretty decent for a person who doesn't have experience/education.

I bought ground turkey there before because it was only $1.99. It was already processed rolls, but I'm not sure about their meat quality since it's not a butcher shop.

They also have really good weekly specials. I got hanging flower baskets for the garden for $6 each.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    And Philly is a serious union town.
    Like almost no other - I still remember when the football players went on strike and everybody was fielding a scab team. Buddy Ryan fielded one under protest and the players were awful. But he didn't care, and the fans clearly hated them.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    The only time I've ever walked into an Aldi the first thing I saw was boxes of chocolate cakes - not a box with a cake in it, but a giant box with about 6 full size chocolate cakes. I can't shop in a place where they encourage you to buy in bulk like that - who needs 6 cakes on a regular basis? So I stick with my local Asian supermarket and organic produce markets.
    Boxes of cakes are kind of atypical for an Aldi, I think. They are ultra efficient and don't stock up on very many pre-prepared things - usually it's just the staples, and then, they only have one or two variation of each thing - like one store brand and one popular manufacturer brand. However, if Aldi's has a chance to buy something prepared in huge quantities at bargain-basement prices, they will buy them up and pass the savings on to the customer. That's a lot of fun, but if you really like the product, it's disappointing to see that it's not there the next week.

Quote Originally Posted by louiswinthorpe111 View Post
    Milk is $1 cheaper per gallon too. They do pay their ppl well. Starting pay for a checker is $12 per hour, and you get health insurance also. Pretty decent for a person who doesn't have experience/education.

I bought ground turkey there before because it was only $1.99. It was already processed rolls, but I'm not sure about their meat quality since it's not a butcher shop.

They also have really good weekly specials. I got hanging flower baskets for the garden for $6 each.
    Flowers were super cheap. I bought a rose bush there once for a few dollars, and five years later, it's the most reliable plant in my whole freaking yard. The only downside is we planted it next to our grill - what the heck were we thinking?

I buy ground turkey all the time because you can use it in everything. Believe it or not, about four years ago, it was about 90 cents for a one-pound frozen package. It's now up to $1.49.

The quality of their fresh meat is actually very good. The problem, though, is that the meat section is pretty small and the prices are no better than the daily prices of premium supermarkets. And the meat never seems to go on sale like at a premium market. That being said, there are way too many upsides for me to think twice about that.

no aldi's near me either. there's one all the way up in queens somewhere but i'm in park slope and work in midtown so it's way out of the way for me.
    i will continue being a slave to trader joe's. so far it's the cheapest grocery store i've found in new york. everything else seems really expensive for what it is. there's a c-town close to where i live that is pretty limited and is at least 20-30% more than what i pay at trader joe's. and there's a key foods that's even closer and it's fantastic but expensive so i only go there when i don't have time to go to trader joe's and need to buy dinner or i'm out of coffee or milk or something.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information