Login to remove the ads!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: One in three blame woman for rape

Default Re: One in three blame woman for rape

That's ridiculous!! Children and elderly women get raped too, I suppose they dressed/acted provocatively and "asked for it" and therefore deserved it?! STUPID!!

I just saw this British story on TV and I am depressed that so little progress has been made despite the feminism of the last 40 years that attitudes like this are still prevalent. It especially enrages me that in a society that practically forces young girls and women to dress like hookers that the evil double standard is alive and well.

Rape is a crime of violence. It is always about power and control, sex is more of a syptom of the crime than the motivation in most cases according to my hubby, who is a criminologist. In Canada, rape is now known as "sexual assault" in an effort to desexualize the crime. If you change the attitudes even in small ways such as this, the behaviors will eventually follow.
    Last edited by pacific breeze; November 21st, 2005 at 02:45 PM.

Do you have a link to the whole article? I couldn't find it and wanted to read it in full.
    This PISSES me off!

Quote Originally Posted by buttmunch View Post
    And rape isn't about titilation. It's about power and control. I cannot believe that in this day and age there are so many people clinging to the old idea that men just can't help themselves and women are just asking for it. I wonder if they'd be singing the same tune if it happened to them.
    bingo!..this pretty much sums it up for me. It is not a sex crime. It is a crime of violence acted out in a sexual way.

The British are actually astonishingly sexist for such a 'progressive' country. I'm told all the time by Brits and Americans alike how much more 'progressive' the UK is than the US. Er....nope! Isn't! And the kind of behavior I see on a daily basis here...ass-slapping, sexual jokes, sexist jokes, etc., would get you fired in an instant in the United States.

Friend of Gossip Rocks! buttmunch's Avatar

The Brits are pretty sexist but then again, I think the US has gone overboard with the whole idea that you can't make jokes about anything. The PC cops have taken the fun out of life.
    'Those who sacrifice liberty for security deserve neither.' Ben Franklin

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

Ye, I think men and women should be able to joke with each other without being sued but some men do take it too far. Theres one man in our work whose a lovely guy but he use to always make really crude comments towards me and my other female colleagues. I'm not at all prudish but it did make me feel uncomfortable. We all just started to ignore him instead of laughing along to humour him so he doesn't do it any more!

Oh and SVZ I typed 'SLAP' in to google for that pic!!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

I just give back as good as I get. My work place is incredibly informal and we are extremely un-PC...which I like. But I think you'd maybe have to be a certain kind of person to work here and not get a bit freaked. And we're all friends, more or less, so we know each other's secrets pretty well.

"When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross."
    --Sinclair Lewis

^^ Ye thats the same where I work, everyone who starts here is a bit wow at first and if they don't fit in their out the door. Its pretty unfair but thats how the boss does things. Thing is, they start off on a 3 month probation period so they can't do anything about unfair dismissal when they get sacked. Thank God I'm just as crazy as the rest of them and I got to stay!!
    No man is worth your tears, but once you find one that is, he won't make you cry
    G_ F_CK Y__RS_LF - Would you like to buy a vowel??

Sounds like my office. The ones who don't fit in just never quite make it past the probation period. And boy do some of them get pissed!

--Sinclair Lewis

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information