Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Obese Passenger Forces Man to Stand For 7-Hour Flight‎

The guy should get a free trip to "anywhere he wants to go". Standing up for 7 hours while some beached whale takes up two seats? And the airline basically says, "Ho hum, bummer for you"? I don't think so. I would have been texting my attorney during the flight.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Elite Member

God, as if flying doesn't suck enough already. Even when two average size people are sitting side by side, it's hard to keep from touching/getting touched and it's just nasty to expect someone to have someone else's body spilling over them. Eww. It's not a fat thing, it's a being decently comfortable on a long flight thing. FFS.

This reads like the airline is trying to shift the blame on the passenger for interfering with safety regulations. Um, no, they're the ones who didn't follow safety regulations by making sure everyone fit safely and in compliance with all their policies--that's their job, ffs.

They didn't follow their own policy on passengers of size, so it's their fault the guy had to stand for a 7 hr. flight. I agree, what else was he supposed to do, be wedged into a seat for the duration of the flight? That's absurd. The airline should have made the guy who needed two seats wait for the next flight where he could purchase two seats. They didn't, so they owe the standing guy a refund.

So many times it seems that they don't follow policy, stuff everybody in and hope people don't complain. Assholes.

My experience is that they tend to make up their policies on the fly. Every airline and every day is completely different, but yet we're all expected to know (and then pay more for the privilege of the airline personnel's whims).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    This is a disgrace. I understand that it is a sensitive issue but they really do need to start enforcing that people of wider than the average bear girth purchase two seats.

The standing man should get a refund on his ticket since the seat that he paid for was given to someone else.
    i agree. they offered him a 200$ voucher, but i'm not sure if that even covers the costs of the flight.

When the plane landed, Berkowitz said, he immediately contacted a US Airways agent who referred him to the company headquarters in Phoenix. Though the airline offered him a $200 voucher for his trouble, Berkowitz said, he did not accept it.
    After months of unsuccessful communication, he said, he went to the FAA, which notified him that US Airways considered the matter closed. CNN could not independently confirm the details.
    Although he is disappointed at the amount he was offered, Berkowitz said, his motivation for speaking out now is not financial.
    "My reason for bringing this up is strictly and solely for the airline to look at their safety procedures," he told CNN.
    Although US Airways expresses regret over the situation, the airline does feel the matter has been resolved and that Berkowitz's concerns have been noted.
    "We have attempted to address this customer's service concerns, but offering increasing amounts of compensation based on a threat of a safety violation isn't really fair -- especially when the passenger himself said he didn't follow the crew members' instructions and fasten his seat belt," US Airways said in a written statement. "If there was a safety issue -- we will address that professionally and with the proper attention toward preventing it from happening again. We have already provided feedback on the service issues with the team involved, and thank Mr. Berkowitz for making his concerns known."
    WTF? i love how flawed their logic is.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

The people at the airline are missing the point entirely. He didn't "choose" not to comply with safety instructions. He was unable to because they allowed another passenger to occupy half of his seat (and sit on his seatbelt fastener), making it impossible for him to follow the instructions they were giving him.

He should receive, at the bare minimum, a full refund for all costs associated with this flight. I feel that he should also be compensated with a free flight to the destination of his choice, and the crew members who were directly responsible for allowing this to happen need to be disciplined.

If a passenger pays for one seat on a flight, they should receive one seat. Not two seats or half of a seat. A passenger who paid for only one seat but doesn't fit into it should have two options: Purchase an additional ticket (at full price, as any other person who wanted two seats for any reason would have to pay) and move to a row where there are two adjacent seats available, or, if the flight is full and this is not an option, wait for the next flight that can accommodate them.

Thank god I'm not important and well-funded enough to have to fly anywhere on a regular basis. Fuck that shit.

What a bunch of bullshit on the part of the airline. I was stuck in a middle seat between 2 really fat, sweaty guys on a flight quite a few years back and it was uncomfortable and disgusting. And it pissed me off, because I paid good money for my seat, just like they did. I asked to be moved, but was told the same as this guy, plane is full, blah, blah, blah. Nowadays, I am bitchier than I used to be and would make more of a stink. But back then I just took it. Makes me want to sue retroactively.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by Jezi View Post
    If I were the fat person, I wouldn't just 'express regret'. I would get up and leave the plane. I'm just a decent person like that. I wouldn't want people to be inconvenienced because of my fat ass, especially when I'm the one arriving too late to purchase a second seat.

If the policy says I should get two seats because of my size, but there isn't a second seat for me to purchase, then I shouldn't be let on the plane in the first place.
    Well, a decent person like you would have bought two tickets in the first place.
    Coffee is my happy drug

Or would just have shot themselves as they passed the 200lb mark.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by piperdiva View Post
    Well, a decent person like you would have bought two tickets in the first place.
    Of course. Had I been on time, I would've bought 2 tickets.

But this guy arrived late. They should've told him there was no room for him.

^That's exactly how I feel. The airline dropped the ball at several points. They had several opportunities to avoid this: they could've told him there was no room for him when he showed up late and again once he was in his seat and clearly squishing the other passenger. The person who was on time should absolutely get priority over the late passenger, the way it was handled is backwards.

*OT rant: This thread keeps making me dread my upcoming Christmas flight. I stupidly bought a cheap ticket home without checking to make sure I could choose my seat. Apparently United and American Airlines do this routinely, but I've always been able to choose seats except on Southwest so I didn't even think about it. So I just know I'm gonna get stuck in a goddamn motherfucking middle seat, (can you tell I hate middle seats? I'm a big girl, so they extra suck). I'm getting there hella early so I don't become news like this late a-hole.

Bee - I always check the seating when I check in online as close to 24 hours before my flight as I can. I also always check when I get to the airport because they open up the premium seats and exit row seats only an hour or 2 before the the flight. I've had really good luck getting exit row seats on otherwise sold out flights. And I never pay for the 'premium' coach seating because everyone scrambles for a seat assignment to avoid having to pay, but if they have room and I have a ticket, they have to put me on the flight so I usually get assigned a premium seat - and no, I don't have any special frequent flier status (yet).
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Shame she put on 30lbs & shot herself....

Quote Originally Posted by yanna View Post
    The fatty had him jammed so well he didn't need the seat belt.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information