Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Nurse refuses to perform CPR, citing policy and stress. Woman dies as result.

My mom died at age 89 and had all her mental faculties; had we not had a DNR on her, I would have most definitely wanted the choice of having it performed or not. I would have thought twice about someplace that stated they would refuse to do it. I just hope it was clearly stated; perhaps it was.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^ I hope these places are clear on policy as well.

Independent living communities and nursing homes are very, very different things. Many of these places are just residential communities for seniors, where they live on their own in their own homes or condos, and still enjoy their lives, doing all sorts of activities at the clubhouse and pool, etc. Living in a senior community doesn't mean you've got one foot in the grave.

And I still say this woman was a callous twat, whining about the 911 operator "yelling at her" and that she was "feeling stressed" over it.
    Last edited by witchcurlgirl; March 4th, 2013 at 03:39 PM.
    Mercer, sluce, KrisNine and 5 others like this.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Maybe they should have AEDs on hand and train all employees on how to use them. Then compressions are not an issue.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    It is sad and bad and very hard on the family! No one wants this, but it will happen for all of us. The grief is terrible but you can't stop people you love from dying,no matter what.
    Yes,Brookie. All families with loved ones in a nursing home are told this and given a chance to refuse. I don't know of any that did. Death is not the worse thing. They have already had to give up all independence, all small freedoms we have. They are reduced to choosing between what flavor cupcakes. They no longer can go to the mall or movies.
    This woman was 87-not 37. Anyway you look at it her life was at an end.

There is something you can do and I have seen this twice now. You can hold her hand,pat her arm,tell her she is loved and cry.
    I hope to God if I ever live that long someone has the compassion and sense to let me die.
    McJag, I agree with every thing you have posted in this thread. I watched my beloved uncle die of Cruetzfeld-Jacob, with my mother fighting me every inch if the way on signing the DNR, even though there was ZERO chance of him waking up. I am now going round with the relatives with the 88 year old MIL, who in the last 18 months has had 3 broken hips, one broken shoulder, heart attack, CHF, perforated ulcer surgery and now has Alzheimer's. we have power of attorney and health care proxy, but it is hard to explain to others that she is NOT going to have anywhere close to the 'quality of life' she enjoyed previously. I've told my DH that I would literally rather be dead.
    McJag likes this.

I also find it pretty cold-blooded and callous. But if this is their policy, they should just have all of their potential (and existing) residents sign DNR's or move elsewhere. Then everything is up front and everyone knows and can decide if they want to live at such a facility. And those who wish to be resuscitated can choose a different facility.
    'I had to get rid of the kid. The cat was allergic.'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    And I still say this woman was a callous twat, whining about the 911 operator "yelling at her" and that she was "feeling stressed" over it.

This part just kills me. Fuck her.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

What's next, the cafeteria refusing to serve people, and waiting until Pizza Hut makes a delivery?

I think Paris Hilton dressed as a slutty nurse at a Playboy Mansion party probably renders more useful service than the personnel at Glenwood Gardens.

Well the 911 operator certainly didn't think the old woman was ready to go. If I had a 911 operator insisting I do CPR on her I would bloody well do it and not stand there waxing on about how the poor old dear's time had come. Especially if I was a fucking nurse!
    Waterslide likes this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

How the hell can a nurse just stand around and watch someone die and not try to help her? What is the point in being trained if you won't utilise your skills when it is needed? I hope this nurse is haunted by this piss poor decision for the rest of her life.
    Alicia Silverstone: "I think that the film Clueless was very deep. I think it was deep in the way that it was very light. I think lightness has to come from a very deep place if it's true lightness."

Can you imagine a lifesaver at the beach refusing to do CPR because the woman was old? It's mind boggling.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    Well the 911 operator certainly didn't think the old woman was ready to go. If I had a 911 operator insisting I do CPR on her I would bloody well do it and not stand there waxing on about how the poor old dear's time had come. Especially if I was a fucking nurse!
    The operator did not work there and did not have day to day dealings with her as the nurse did. Hers was a gut reaction from over a phone. When my husband broke his ankle the 911 person tried to get me at apply pressure. I was there and also refused. Had I followed her demand he would have had an amputation instead of surgery to mend it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sleuth View Post
    How the hell can a nurse just stand around and watch someone die and not try to help her? What is the point in being trained if you won't utilise your skills when it is needed? I hope this nurse is haunted by this piss poor decision for the rest of her life.
    I'll tell you how. The same way we will have to watch my loved ones die. This will not be easy but a DNR order is on everyone of us in my family. We have seen enough. We have seen people endure more than we would ever ask out pets to go through.
    First,do no harm. Judging from her daughters response, the woman already had a DNR anyway.
    If my beloved Mother has a chance to escape to a better place we will take it. She has nothing ahead. She will never again play championship bridge. She only vaguely knows us as sweet people she likes. She devoted her whole life to us and cannot enjoy our past together.
    Here is the difference for seeking help in a nursing home type situation. If this woman had chest pains she would have been transported to the Hospital for help.
    This woman did not have chest pains. She had a cardiac arrest. Her heart threw in the towel. The result would most likely been the same, except she would have been pounded on with great vigor first which has to be very painful.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

^It was stated up thread she didn't have a DNR and it wasn't a nursing home it was an independent living facility, so you'd have to imagine she was in reasonable health beforehand and not being cared for in her final days.
    Sleuth and C_is_for_Cookie like this.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    ^It was stated up thread she didn't have a DNR and it wasn't a nursing home it was an independent living facility, so you'd have to imagine she was in reasonable health beforehand and not being cared for in her final days.
    But Faithanne! 87. Cardic arrest. I hope she was having a fine time dining with her friend and just went. It is sad,but her time had come. She is at peace now. I think she was protected from horrors to come.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Old age is not a disease. You can't just decide someone's fate because of the chronological age set by their birth certificate.

ETA - I also think "old" is a subjective thing, and therefore impossible to measure. What is old to one person is not old to another.
    Sarzy likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Do nurses take the Hippocratic Oath? Would that apply here?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information