Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is On Fire

The north facade could still collapse, and it does contain one of the surviving rose windows.
    I can't find any info but I read earlier that their priority was to take them down as fast as possible because the lead holding the glass was severely damaged anyway.

I'm not religious, but I'm a medieval history PHD student and this broke my heart, I guess many non religious people were also deeply affected by the historical loss it would have meant.
    Notre Dame is the heart of Paris, truly
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

That is how i feel it also...I ve spent so much of my Parisian time around and inside it,soaking up its beauty and aura..I was planning to spend a couple of days in Paris this June,i ll be visiting Burgundy and i thought i ll just sneak a day or two,see people and just BE in Paris once more..Now,i dont know..And my zen point in the whole world is the pointy edge of Ile de la Cite in front,the one that looks like a ship..The little corner of a beautiful public garden i always forget its name.This is where i feel happy and at peace with myself and the world..just sit on the grass and relax and smile...

Don't forget about what kind of damage the water may have done. That was a LOT of H2O.
    effie2 and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

People are complaining that Salma Hayek's husband donated 100$ million to the renovation fund, but they also donated 100k to victims in Mexico...

Brookie, effie2 and Waterslide like this.

So sorry I was never able to see this in person. I will be a tragedy either way but I think I'd rather it be an accident than to find out someone set it on fire.
    fgg likes this.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

I was there as a teenager and was absolutely captivated by the rose window and not so much with everything else. I was offended by all the little tourist trap nooks inside the cathedral. I wish I had appreciated the structure more but when I was there it was crowded and the shops inside turned me completely off.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiny Pixie View Post
    The north facade could still collapse, and it does contain one of the surviving rose windows.
    I can't find any info but I read earlier that their priority was to take them down as fast as possible because the lead holding the glass was severely damaged anyway.

I'm not religious, but I'm a medieval history PHD student and this broke my heart, I guess many non religious people were also deeply affected by the historical loss it would have meant.
    Notre Dame is the heart of Paris, truly
    I’ve been hearing stuff on the radio all day about this and tributes to ND and the love-hate-love-can’t-live-without relationship that the English & French have, so much history intertwined.

700 million euro donated by 3 families to help with reconstruction. I know for their vast wealth it's really not that much, but it is still so generous.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/16/busin...ion/index.html

I was lucky enough to see Notre Dame in 2001 and again in 2004. The historical significance of this cathedral is without measure. Regardless of your religious convictions it has survived for 800 years through many wars. To see it burn really was heartbreaking.
    Last edited by dolem; April 16th, 2019 at 01:10 PM.

I wish they would do some type of gofundme, I would cough up some cash for this. I bet the general population could match the billionaires' donations within a week.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

There is one actually, well not a go fund me, but the Fondation du Patrimoine has launched a campaign to raise money to rebuild Notre Dame

https://www.fondation-patrimoine.org...-dame-de-paris

I am so fed up with people commenting that the families donating money will be able to deduce that from their taxes, so blah blah blah, well, in the end Notre Dame belongs to the state, which means that ultimately, our taxes pay for renovations and upkeep, or didn't, because a recurring problem with governments is that they don't invest much in renovating and upkeeping landmarks.
    So at least this amount of money will directly go to the cathedral.
    I just can't with people seeing evil everwhere. And complaining all the time, can we stop being that French for 5 minutes
    I want to believe that maybe it was sheer generosity because they are saddened by this loss
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

Good for them.
    yes maybe there are generous tax advantages however there are cultural and religious reasons too.

Heres the CNN report:-

France's 3 richest families lead $700 million fundraising effort for Notre Dame

London (CNN Business)France's three wealthiest families are coming to the rescue of a national icon, spearheading a fundraising drive to rebuild Notre Dame that has topped $700 million.
    The billionaires behind luxury giants LVMH Group, Kering and L'Oreal on Tuesday pledged a combined €500 million ($565 million) after a massive fire ripped through the Paris cathedral.
    LVMH (LVMHF) and its CEO Bernard Arnault have promised €200 million ($226 million). The donation has been matched by the Bettencourt Meyers family, which controls L'Oreal (LRLCF).

The Pinault family, which operates luxury conglomerate Kering (PPRUF), has pledged €100 million ($113 million).
    The three fashion dynasties have invoked patriotism and shared cultural identity in explaining their generosity following the devastating fire.

Other French companies have also written big checks: The oil and gas company Total(TOT) has promised €100 million ($113 million), while tech and consulting firm Capgemini will give €1 million ($1.1 million).
    Combined with other donations from companies including French bank Crédit Agricole, the total amount pledged by business and wealthy donors has reached $700 million.
    Luxury giving

LVMH (LVMHF), which owns Louis Vuitton, Christian Dior and Givenchy, said in a statement that its donation showed "solidarity with this national tragedy" and that funds would be used to rebuild this "extraordinary cathedral."
    The fashion house went on to describe Notre Dame as a "symbol of French heritage and unity." LVMH said it would make its creative and financial teams available to help with rebuilding and soliciting donations.
    Arnault, its CEO, is the third richest person in the world, according to the Bloomberg Billionaires Index. His net worth comes in at $90.4 billion, more than that of Warren Buffett or Mark Zuckerberg.
    In addition to its fashion lines, LVMH controls high-end alcohol brands such as Dom Pérignon, Hennessy and Veuve Clicquot, as well as popular beauty retailer Sephora.

Kering, which is the home for brands including Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, was first out of the gate Tuesday with its donation.
    "This tragedy is striking all the French people, and beyond that, all those attached to spiritual values," François-Henri Pinault, the CEO of Kering, said in a statement.
    "Faced with this tragedy, everyone wishes to give life back to this jewel of our heritage as soon as possible," added Pinault, who is the son of the billionaire businessman François Pi

Kering, which is the home for brands including Gucci and Yves Saint Laurent, was first out of the gate Tuesday with its donation.
    "This tragedy is striking all the French people, and beyond that, all those attached to spiritual values," François-Henri Pinault, the CEO of Kering, said in a statement.
    "Faced with this tragedy, everyone wishes to give life back to this jewel of our heritage as soon as possible," added Pinault, who is the son of the billionaire businessman François Pinault.

"Faced with this tragedy, everyone wishes to give life back to this jewel of our heritage as soon as possible," added Pinault, who is the son of the billionaire businessman François Pinault.
    The Pinault family is worth an estimated $37.3 billion, per Bloomberg.
    François-Henri Pinault, who manages the family's businesses, is married to actress Salma Hayek. Kering also owns fashion brands such as Alexander McQueen and Balenciaga.

The Bettencourt family owns a 33% stake in L'Oreal, which controls brands like Maybelline, Lancome, Garnier and Kiehl's.
    Francoise Bettencourt Meyers, the richest woman in the world, is worth $53.5 billion, according to Bloomberg.
    She inherited the stake from her mother, Liliane Bettencourt, who died in 2017. Bettencourt Meyers is the granddaughter of the company's founder, Eugene Schueller.
    The rebuilding process

The blaze at Notre Dame on Monday devastated large parts of the 850-year-old church, including its iconic spire. The fire was extinguished after nine hours.
    French President Emmanuel Macron has promised to rebuild the site, saying Monday that France will launch an international fundraising campaign to assist with the effort.
    The process will be expensive and lengthy, and it could take time to begin in earnest. Immediate steps will need to be taken to prevent further damage, since the structure is now particularly vulnerable to water damage.
    It's tough to estimate the total time and cost of the restoration.
    The Venice Opera House, which was gutted by a blaze in 1996, reportedly reopened eight years later after €60 million ($68 million) was spent.

When Windsor Castle, one of Britain's royal residences, was severely damaged in a fire in 1992, it reopened nearly five years later at a cost of £36.5 million ($47.8 million).
    — CNN's Saskya Vandoorne and Oscar Holland contributed reporting.

C_is_for_Cookie likes this.

A*O

With the vast amount of cash pouring to the restoration fund I hope there will be a watchdog set up to make sure it’s spent where and how it should be rather than a dodgy bureaucrat’s offshore bank account. It happens.
    I heard a radio report that said so far there’s no obvious sign of arson thank God. Tensions are high enough in Paris. My guess is that it’s connected to the building/restoration works that were already going on.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Its very possible. I worked a case maybe 8 years or so ago where a floor of a building was having a custom build-out for a new tenant. One of the contractors left an otherwise innocuous seeming power tool plugged in overnight and it caught fire and the building ended up being demolished because of the structural damage. It happens.

A*O

The Windsor Castle fire started when a high power builders’ lamp overheated and ignited some flammable stuff left nearby.
    Brookie and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information