Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree136Likes

Thread: Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris is On Fire

I read also the front and the right side are saved..And everything else is gone..How can i imagine going back and not seeing the spire leading me ,the beauty,the history ,the magic of the place,the smell of the church,all gone..this is unbearably sad..Ah,that tweet had me crying my heart out...
    Brookie likes this.

It feels so unreal. Like a terrible joke. My heart bleeds for the people of Paris
    effie2, sputnik, Janet296 and 1 others like this.
    Your bum has feelings, your bum is a part of you
    Don’t put it on chairs, your bum has an opinion, yeah

I am sad for my grand baby and for all those who wont be able to feast their eyes and soul on the beauty that has been.
    sputnik and Waterslide like this.

A*O

Just woke up to this shocking news. It’s a tragedy for mankind. Yes, it can probably be resurrected from the ashes but you can’t replace many centuries of culture and history. They were able at least to save the important relics.

I’d be very interested to learn how and why it happened. People are already blaming lack of funding for ongoing repairs but we shall see. The timing is a bit suspicious (Holy Week). But I’m pretty sure it’s not Donald Trumps’s fault.
    Brookie and Waterslide like this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

This is so incredibly sad. I’m so sorry.
    Waterslide and effie2 like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    There's an American tourist commentating on MSNBC and reports that there is NO WATER being used to contain this. It sounds like it's just burning.

Of course, Trump has to put his two cents in and recommends flying water tankers. I'm sure France has a lot of those.
    The fire department said that using water planes would completely destroyed whatever would have been left of the building and that's why they weren't doing that.

This is just awful and during holy week as well.

eta, video of people applauding the firemen when driving by

https://twitter.com/fergalkeane47/st...00250134528000
    Waterslide, Brookie and effie2 like this.

From inside the cathedral.

My heart is breaking to have such a thing of beauty and wonder to be gone. France has many people who are experts at restoring so I am sure that they will restore it to its former glory
    effie2 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    There's an American tourist commentating on MSNBC and reports that there is NO WATER being used to contain this. It sounds like it's just burning.

Of course, Trump has to put his two cents in and recommends flying water tankers. I'm sure France has a lot of those.
    Of course the orange scumbag has to say something idiotic. He must hate Macron at this point, this must make him happy.

Quote Originally Posted by effie2 View Post
    i am shocked and shook up and so very sad..my adoration for the city is well known and Ile de la Cite is my zen point in this earth.i cry and pray so hard..
    Getting hazelnut ice cream at Berthillon on Ile Saint Louis and then walking to the back of Notre Dame
    to see the flying buttresses. They are my favorite and favorite view.

Quote Originally Posted by ShimmeringGlow View Post
    I just read an interesting thread on Twitter, the cathedral was in horrible shape due to neglect and a fight over who should repair it. This tragedy was waiting to happen. History lost.

A good thread from a former firefighter on what the crews are facing in trying to fight the fire.

https://mobile.twitter.com/GreggFavr...47726786371585

Sobbing too. I hadn't seen this yet.
    effie2 and Brookie like this.

well, the spire is gone and the roof above the vault has burned and some of the vault has collapsed, but, overall, this is pretty good as far as disasters go. There is still some building worth salvaging. The interior is largely intact. I was quite surprised to see that anything at all was left. Daylight will tell more.

edit: and at least one of the rose windows seems to have made it

https://twitter.com/Valdiguie/status...25148227665921
    Last edited by twitchy2.0; April 15th, 2019 at 09:56 PM.
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

A*O

Yes it’s bad but it’s fixable; some of the interior looks almost untouched. Obviously there will be a lot of structural damage to repair but overall I’m optimistic now I’ve seen for myself instead of relying on the media dramah queens.
    C_is_for_Cookie likes this.
    If all the women in this place were laid end to end, I wouldn’t be surprised - Dorothy Parker

From BBC news

Notre-Dame: Massive fire ravages Paris cathedral

Share this with Email Share this with Facebook Share this with Twitter Share this with Whatsapp

Video captionThere were gasps from the crowd at the moment Notre-Dame’s spire fellA major fire has engulfed the medieval cathedral of Notre-Dame in Paris, one of France's most famous landmarks.
    The 850-year-old Gothic building's spire and roof have collapsed but the main structure, including the two bell towers, has been saved, officials say.
    Firefighters are still working to contain the blaze as teams try to salvage the artwork stored inside.
    President Emmanuel Macron called it a "terrible tragedy". The cause of the fire is not yet clear.
    Officials say it could be linked to the renovation work that began after cracks appeared in the stone, sparking fears the structure could become unstable.
    Paris prosecutor's office said it had opened an inquiry into "accidental destruction by fire". A firefighter was seriously injured while tackling the blaze.

Visibly emotional, Mr Macron said the "worst had been avoided" and vowed to launch an international fundraising scheme to rebuild the cathedral.
    How did the fire spread?

The fire began at around 18:30 (16:30 GMT) and quickly reached the roof of the cathedral, destroying its stained-glass windows and the wooden interior before toppling the spire.

Some 500 firefighters worked to prevent one of the bell towers from collapsing. More than four hours later, fire chief Jean-Claude Gallet said the main structure had been "saved and preserved" from total destruction.

Sections of the cathedral were under scaffolding as part of the extensive renovations and 16 copper statues had been removed last week.
    Deputy Paris Mayor Emmanuel Gregoire said the building had suffered "colossal damages", and teams were working to save the cathedral's remaining artwork.
    Video captionThe fire department said a major operation was underwayHistorian Camille Pascal told French broadcaster BFMTV that "invaluable heritage" had been destroyed, adding: "Happy and unfortunate events for centuries have been marked by the bells of Notre-Dame. We can be only horrified by what we see".
    How have people reacted?

Thousands of people gathered in the streets around the cathedral, observing the flames in silence. Some could be seen openly weeping, while others sang hymns or said prayers.
    Several churches around Paris rang their bells in response to the blaze, which happened as Catholics celebrate Holy Week.
    Because of the fire, Mr Macron cancelled a speech on TV in which he was due to address the street protests that have rocked France for months.
    Visiting the scene, the president said the cathedral was a building "for all French people", including those who had never been there.
    "We'll rebuild Notre-Dame together", he said as he praised the "extreme courage" and "professionalism" of the firefighters.

A symbol of a country

Analysis by Henri Astier , BBC World Online
    No other site represents France quite like Notre-Dame. Its main rival as a national symbol, the Eiffel Tower, is little more than a century old. Notre-Dame has stood tall above Paris since the 1200s.
    It has given its name to one of the country's literary masterpieces. Victor Hugo's The Hunchback of Notre-Dame is known to the French simply as Notre-Dame de Paris.
    The last time the cathedral suffered major damage was during the French Revolution. It survived two world wars largely unscathed.
    Watching such an embodiment of the permanence of a nation burn and its spire collapse is profoundly shocking to any French person.

Facts about Notre-Dame

• The church receives almost 13 million visitors each year, more than the Eiffel Tower
    • A Unesco World Heritage site, it was built in the 12th and 13th centuries
    • Several statues of the facade of the Catholic cathedral were removed for renovation
    • The roof, which has been destroyed by the blaze, was made mostly of wood
    • Read more about the treasures of the cathedral

What has been the international reaction?

The Vatican expressed "shock and sadness," adding that it was praying for the French fire services.
    Germany's Chancellor Angela Merkel has offered her support to the people of France, calling Notre-Dame a "symbol of French and European culture".
    UK Prime Minister Theresa May said in a tweet: "My thoughts are with the people of France tonight and with the emergency services who are fighting the terrible blaze at Notre-Dame cathedral".
    Also on Twitter, US President Donald Trump said it was "horrible to watch" the fire and suggested that "flying water tankers" could be used to extinguish the blaze.
    In an apparent response, the French Civil Security service said that was not an option as it might result in the collapse of the entire building

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/amp/world-europe-47941794

sorry I have no idea why the text is green!

effie2 likes this.

Apparently all three rose windows survived, though badly damaged as the lead holding the glass melted

The great organ supposedly made it too but there's no telling if it's fixable (it's mainly because of the water though, not the fire)

I don't know whom to thanks for those small miracles <3
    I was so afraid to wake up and discover the North tower would have collapsed under the weight of the bell, had it fallen.
    Novice and C_is_for_Cookie like this.
    Fluctuat nec mergitur
    Paris, Nov 13th

thank god so much is still standing..they need to check if there is damage done to the walls that hold the building together and then start fixing .My french nephew was sobbing last night..he told me even non religious people were praying in tears..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information