Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Jeez. Wtf. The researchers from Yale who were told they did not have to quarantine...we'll guess who tested positive?!? Breaking news on my local channels. I live in Connecticut. I am not freaking out...I just am astonished at the lack df common sense from supposedly intelligenteople.

I know the researchers said that they would voluntarily quarantine themselves...officials said they didn't have to. I honestly don't know if they were doing it anyway.

ETA... Now they are backing off...not saying tested positive, but that he/she was admitted with multiple Ebola like symptoms.
    I live in Connecticut, too. Shit, this won't make me feel any less nutty about my headache and fever I've developed this week.

Brah, please don't touch anything on the messageboard until you know for sure. TIA!
    Brah likes this.

*hoses down board with industrial grade disinfectant*

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Now, they're saying that ER's are going to be flooded with patients thinking they have ebola because the early stages of flu and ebola are the similar! This is going to be fun.

At this point, what should be done? Should people be in quarantine when they are in close contact with someone that has had ebola? I've heard that when our military comes back from working in west Africa, that they will be quarantined in barracks until given the all clear. If that's happening with the military, then it should probably happen with anyone who is treating these patients or researching the facilities in west Africa.

^It would not be fun to work in a hospital with this scare!

@Mohandas and Twitchy

I tend to leave a fluid of some sort on everything i touch, but I'll try to be cleaner with the board for your sakes!

I guess the only comforting thing in this whole clusterfuck is that it really doesn't seem to be very contagious in the early symptom stage. If it were, Duncan's family surely would have come down with symptoms by now. But judging by all the people contracting it being health care workers (and in Africa, also family members caring for late stage sufferers), once the symptoms are more extreme (fluids, hemorrhaging) as reflecting the viral load in the body, holy shit look out! So I seriously doubt anyone on that plane has anything to worry about. Two kids who were on that plane live sort of near my area, and they've closed down the schools they attended (on Monday? Tuesday?) to disinfect everything. Seems like we can't calibrate this thing right at all. Either severe nonchalance and recklessness or major overreaction and panic.
    sputnik and KrisNine like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Listening to the news conference with Yale hospital. They are confident they are doing everything correctly...and will not know if the researcher has it until tomorrow at the earliest. Student supposedly had not been in contact with anyone exhibiting symptoms while in Liberia which is why he/she was told the do not need to quarantine. Hopefully this person just had a cold and they took the proper precautions anyway it sounds like.

They have a good policy of assigning 2 nurses to ensure suits and equipment and protocol are being used correctly. They will check and balance each other. Good plan.

The shut down 2 schools in the Dallas area because 2 of the students were on the same flight with that 2nd nurse who was diagnosed.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

My daughter works in a hospital in small town Iowa,...they have had NO mention of the Ebola virus or any demos on procedures or protective equipment.

CORRECTION:

Schools in Belton ISD in Central Texas and in a suburban Cleveland, Ohio, district have closed in response to news that students and staff were on, or may have been on, the same flights or planes as Ebola-infected Dallas nurse Amber Joy Vinson: Texas, Ohio school districts close campuses due to Ebola fears | Ebola in Dallas: Stories, videos, photos, graphics and resources from The Dallas Morning News
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

Supposedly, there are parts of Antarctica that are completely untouched by Ebola. But they are melting.
    Lobelia likes this.

Elite Member

I'm a fan of of the travel ban. I think it's kind of silly, that the airports are taking temperatures. People can pop a couple of Advil and a couple of Tylenol during their flights, and land with no fever, and mosey on through the checkpoint.

I have a fever, but the only relief for it seems to bemore cowbell.
    JazzyGirl and Beeyotch like this.

The running joke in our house, is for every aliment we have, it must be Ebola.

Have a headache? "I think it's Ebola."
    Stomach hurt? "Not indigestion. It must Ebola."
    Charley Horse? "Maybe it's Ebola."

The jokes never end in my house!
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    I'm a fan of of the travel ban. I think it's kind of silly, that the airports are taking temperatures. People can pop a couple of Advil and a couple of Tylenol during their flights, and land with no fever, and mosey on through the checkpoint.
    airports are taking temps? you mean the people who work security? oy

i see now that rand is now using ebola as part of his political agenda.

Page 8 of 14 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast

Thread Information