Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

The nurse was on a plane the day before she was diagnosed. I'd be a bit worried if I was on that flight!

I found that article really telling. Sounds like the hospital messed up, badly, and then decided to blame the nurses. Thankfully other nurses stepped up and called them out on their lack of training, preparedness. I have family who work in hospitals and it's ALWAYS the nurses fault if something goes wrong.

I can't imagine being a nurse, complaining about expose skin while caring for an Ebola patient and then being told to wrap my neck with medical tape to protect it. What happens when you have to take that tape off, talk about contamination risk! Not to mention the pain involved.
    Cinnamon*Girl and chartreuse like this.

My daughter is a nurse and I have always worried about her contracting some shit,...and this is the one you sure don't want to get!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    The nurse was on a plane the day before she was diagnosed. I'd be a bit worried if I was on that flight!
    What REALLY concerns me is that knowing all the problems with protection they experienced...the nurse was allowed to travel. I also read that the nurses taking care of Duncan were allowed to take care of other patients. This is just screw up after screw up.

And the CDC predicted 1.4 million cases .... Talked about it coming to the USA for months ..But did not hop on a flight with a trained team within minutes of Duncan being diagnosed?

And effing Nancy Snyderman...goes out in public because she knows better than we do? How about being a good representative of your profession and not freaking out the American public? God these screw ups are just making me cranky as all hell.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    She was also running a 99.5 degree fever before she got on the plane. I'm not blaming her for catching the disease, but traveling while sick was really irresponsible.

That hospital sounds like a dive.

The CDC director said that as Vinson was part of a group of people who had worked with an Ebola patient recently, she was not supposed to be flying. It's unclear whether or not she had the first, low-grade fever before she got back on the plane in Cleveland, but accounts do seem to be falling on the "yes she did" side of things. Sweet.

No health care workers have gotten sick at the US hospitals with proper Ebola treatment units--like the one where Brantly went. Trusting a normal hospital to care for such patients is obviously mega-stupid. Probably won't happen again, but talk about closing the barn door after the cows all wandered off and got Ebola.

Apart from the usual human incompetence, a problem might be that nobody is willing to nut up and be the bad guy (aka "take responsibility") by exerting a lot of fascist authority type stuff and shutting sketchy shit down fast, actually enforcing quarantine on potentially infected people, etc. They probably think they'd ignite the unchecked fear of the grotty public by doing so.

Newsflash, many are already paranoid as fuck and an appearance of discipline and readiness from the authorities wouldn't hurt. Instead it feels more like "no biggie, shit ain't airborne, what's a few deaths here and there..." Or "uh-oh, don't let them know how bad this could get. Soothe the herd! Act nonchalant!!"

I still don't think a lot of Americans--or anywhere else outside of Africa--are gonna die from this.

But the worsening situation in Africa means that sooner or later most countries will end up with potential mini-outbreaks like ours in Texas.
    This in turn spawns a large-scale financial and political mess. It's already hitting the markets, and--remember all the shit Bush took for his lame Katrina response? Worldwide Ebola problems trumps squashed NOLA.

If we want Hillary or another Dem in office next term, it would help if Obama could clamp down a bit. Haha, I just read that he canceled another fundraiser today for an Ebola meeting.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

We now have to issue daily reports of ships entering the port that are coming from overseas, especially if they are coming from West Africa.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Fuck, we've quarantined an entire town? ETA: nevermind. I went googling for more deets and see it isn't true.

I was listening to NPR this morning and they interviewed a doctor who was in Africa for one of the first cases. Because he was American, they did not let him near the patient. He watched 3 other doctors and 2 orderlies move the patient to a private room. They were gloved, gowned and masked. They scrubbed afterwards. The doctors all died. The orderlies took off after that day and weren't heard from again. Likely dead. How do you take all precautions and end up dead? How do we contain something that easily contracted? Airborne or not, this virus is hungry for new hosts.

Personally, i think the whole thing is a clusterfuck. Apparently, this nurse was supposed to have an understanding about travel. She was told that she was able to travel via car or chartered plane, but that she was not to travel via public transportation for a certain number of day (21, maybe?) after her last exposure to the patient. Obviously, she didn't listen. Although, I'm not sure who to believe. The nurses union is saying that soiled linens were piling up to the ceiling and weren't being disposed of properly and that the CDC was supposed to send in a team to pick up those linens. So, I'm not sure that the nurses were being given any proper instructions. I think if we want to keep a lid on ebola in the US, the patients need to be treated at hospitals that can handle ebola. Not these regional hospitals where the staff is given very limited training in dealing with something this deadly.

I was happy to see that the dog of the first nurse is being taken care of. She risked her life to help out a patient, the least we can do for her is take care of her dog and not kill it.

And now, CNN is saying that the nurse contacted the CDC before flying and was told not to fly.

As of this morning...the breaking news on CNN is that the 2nd nurse CALLED the CDC and they told her it was ok to fly. And 2 more flights were conducted in that same aircraft afterwards.

CNN was showing footage of 2nd nurse. being transported to Atlanta for treatment..5 people in hazmat suits and some guy with a folder taking things from the hazmat people and touching things...then he gets on the plane and off...all with no protective gear.

Yeesh. FUBAR.

Yea,...they are calling the guy, Clipboard Guy. He was the only one that wasn't head in protective gear from head to toe. Fuck that shit,....

Jeez. Wtf. The researchers from Yale who were told they did not have to quarantine...we'll guess who tested positive?!? Breaking news on my local channels. I live in Connecticut. I am not freaking out...I just am astonished at the lack df common sense from supposedly intelligenteople.

I know the researchers said that they would voluntarily quarantine themselves...officials said they didn't have to. I honestly don't know if they were doing it anyway.

ETA... Now they are backing off...not saying tested positive, but that he/she was admitted with multiple Ebola like symptoms.

I'm a little concerned because Mrs. Mohandas is going to be flying up to Colorado this afternoon and then back early Sunday. I told her that I don't think she should accept any drinks or snacks from the flight attendants. And that she should have antibacterial/alcohol wipes to wipe down the seat before she settles in.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Personally, i think the whole thing is a clusterfuck. Apparently, this nurse was supposed to have an understanding about travel. She was told that she was able to travel via car or chartered plane, but that she was not to travel via public transportation for a certain number of day (21, maybe?) after her last exposure to the patient. Obviously, she didn't listen. Although, I'm not sure who to believe. The nurses union is saying that soiled linens were piling up to the ceiling and weren't being disposed of properly and that the CDC was supposed to send in a team to pick up those linens. So, I'm not sure that the nurses were being given any proper instructions. I think if we want to keep a lid on ebola in the US, the patients need to be treated at hospitals that can handle ebola. Not these regional hospitals where the staff is given very limited training in dealing with something this deadly.

I was happy to see that the dog of the first nurse is being taken care of. She risked her life to help out a patient, the least we can do for her is take care of her dog and not kill it.

And now, CNN is saying that the nurse contacted the CDC before flying and was told not to fly.
    I'm Not believing theu told this nurse she could fly!!
    Baltimore O's ​Fan!

I don''t know if she really fucked the board though. Maybe just put the tip in. -Mrs. Dark

Quote Originally Posted by *DIVA! View Post
    I'm Not believing theu told this nurse she could fly!!
    I could just see R. Kelly doing this, too.
    ManxMouse likes this.

Page 7 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast

Thread Information