Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

My daughter is home now for day 3. She has a terrible cough,...it reminds me of the bronchitis I got as a kid. They said it was a bacterial respiratory infection. Is that another name for Enterovirus D68? I didn't take her to the doctor yesterday, my husband did, so he didn't ask many questions. I would call today, but they close early on Wednesday. I may try tomorrow. I just know she really has it bad in her lungs, and such a deep and phlegmy (sp?) cough....she sounds horrible!! She said her chest fills very full and tight when she coughs.

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    My daughter is home now for day 3. She has a terrible cough,...it reminds me of the bronchitis I got as a kid. They said it was a bacterial respiratory infection. Is that another name for Enterovirus D68? I didn't take her to the doctor yesterday, my husband did, so he didn't ask many questions. I would call today, but they close early on Wednesday. I may try tomorrow. I just know she really has it bad in her lungs, and such a deep and phlegmy (sp?) cough....she sounds horrible!! She said her chest fills very full and tight when she coughs.
    If it's bacterial, then it is definitely not enterovirus.

Elite Member

Did they give her anything for it? I'm on round two of antibiotics for a sinus/bronchial infection - they gave me cipro, so on the off chance I run into some anthrax, I'll be in good shape.

You might try putting her in a hot shower or at least in the bathroom with the shower running as hot as possible to build up some steam. That's one of the few things that helps when I've got that awful cough.

Oh lord. Now they think there is a second one:

Frisco patient suspected to have Ebola

1:54 p.m. CDT October 8, 2014

(Photo: WFAA)

CONNECT
    TWEETLINKEDIN
    COMMENTEMAILMORE

FRISCO — A patient exhibiting "signs and symptoms of Ebola" has been transported from a Frisco CareNow.
    The CareNow is located in the 300 block of Main Street.
    "The patient claims to have had contact with the Dallas 'patient zero,'" according to a statement from Dana Baird-Hanks, a spokeswoman with the city of Frisco.
    Baird-Hanks says crews are at the scene "examining clinical staff and facility patrons."
    More details to come.

JazzyGirl likes this.
    Cats are really just land based sharks in fur coats. - Kittylady

The original Dallas patient died this morning.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I just read that on yahoo...also hear that the idiot Jesse Jackson is saying he died because he was black and not treated properly. Huh. My head is about to explode...anyone have crazy glue?

sorry I do not have an article to back this up, someone at work was talking about it.

ETA: just read the article on the suspected Ebola case on Fresno. Deputy was ordered to enter the apartment with non protective gear before it was decontaminated. The stupidity surrounding this disease is astounding. I know his case is only suspect, and I hope he does not have it, but this is also going to call into question how it is transmitted.

Bronze Member

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Sorry if I asked this here already?..but does anyone know how the NBC photojournalist contracted it? That fact seems to be conspicuously absent. IIRC..he was in the area with the team covering Ebola and would have taken all the same precautions.

Also...i agree we do not need to run and live in a cave..but are droplets from sneezing or coughing considered body fluids...?
    The American journalist with Ebola who arrived at a Nebraska hospital today believes that he may have gotten infected when he got splashed while spray-washing a vehicle where someone had died from the disease.
    Ashoka Mukpo arrived at the Nebraska Medical Center this morning after being flown directly from Liberia.
    “He's strong and his symptoms are not more advanced then when he talked to us before he left which is a relief,” his father Dr. Mitchell Levy said at a news conference today. He said his son has a fever and slight nausea.
    "Likely he will go into the next phase where his symptoms will be more severe," Levy said.
    Levy said that his son is “not certain” when he got the disease, but believes that he could have gotten infected by some of the spray back that came when he was using chlorine to disinfect a car.
    "It was a vehicle that somebody had died in," Levy said.
    Mukpo, 33, had been hired as a freelance cameraman by the NBC News crew earlier last week before testing positive for the disease on Thursday.
    “He was around the [Ebola] clinic. He was filming inside the clinic,” Levy said.

Texas Ebola Patient Not Receiving Experimental Medication

CDC Head on Ebola: 'We Will Stop It in Its Tracks'

Doctors 'Optimistic' About Prognosis for American Journalist With Ebola, Family Says

Levy and his wife, Diana Mukpo, arrived in Omaha Sunday night ahead of their son’s arrival this morning, and they said that he appears to be in good spirits.
    Mukpo had spent two years in Liberia working for an NGO before returning to the United States in May. When he told his parents that he felt compelled to return in September, they tried their best to dissuade him.
    “I told him I thought he was crazy,” Levy said at the press conference held at the Nebraska Medical Center.
    “And I begged him from a mother's perspective saying ‘Please don’t go.’ But there was nothing I could do. He was determined to go,” Diana Mukpo said.
    Levy recalled his son's reaction being diagnosed with Ebola.
    "His first reaction was I’m sorry I put myself in this situation for you guys... But I think, of course he’s of two minds. He has some regrets, but he’s still proud of what he’s doing and I’m sure he’ll go back to doing things just like this," Levy said.
    Mukpo is the second American to be treated at the facility. The Nebraska hospital treated Dr. Richard Sacra last month after he also contracted the disease in Liberia.
    The Nebraska Medical Center is one of only four biocontainment units throughout the United States. There is another unit at the U.S. Army Medical Research Institute of Infectious Diseases at Fort Detrick, Maryland, one in Missoula, Montana, and a third at Emory University Hospital in Atlanta, which is where Dr. Kent Brantley and nurse Nancy Writebol, the first two Americans to catch the disease, were treated.
    Rosanna Morris, the chief nursing officer and chief operating officer at the Nebraska Medical Center, said that there will be two nurses with Mukpo at all times and they will be tasked with checking his temperature every hour or two, and running lab tests upwards of three times a day.
    "We're really happy that his symptoms are not extreme yet," Levy said. "We're still in a process of discussing with his physicians and the team here what medications they're going to give him."
    Mukpo's mother told ABC News affiliate WLNE-TV earlier that the family has been coordinating with the State Department.
    According to his mother, Ashoka Mukpo had spent two years working for a Liberian NGO before returning to the United States earlier this summer.
    Ashoka Mukpo contributed to reports for various news outlets before getting sick, but also shared emotional updates on his personal Facebook page.
    "Man oh man I have seen some bad things in the last two weeks of my life," he wrote in one such post on Sept. 18, two weeks before testing positive for the disease. "How unpredictable and fraught with danger life can be. How in some parts of the world, basic levels of help and assistance that we take for granted completely don't exist for many people."
    US Journalist Believes He Got Ebola While Cleaning Infected Car - ABC News

His facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ashoka.mukpo

He was apparently working on this VICE documentary as well (well worth the watch imho):

The fight against Ebola 2/3
    The fight against Ebola 3/3

Also this one from Sierra Leone was a bit sad too, given that these men can get disowned from their families for doing this job:
    Burial Boys of Ebola

This link was helpful to me in understanding just how woeful medical supplies/skilled help and facilities are in Liberia compared to services we take for granted:
    News
    JazzyGirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    Did they give her anything for it? I'm on round two of antibiotics for a sinus/bronchial infection - they gave me cipro, so on the off chance I run into some anthrax, I'll be in good shape.

You might try putting her in a hot shower or at least in the bathroom with the shower running as hot as possible to build up some steam. That's one of the few things that helps when I've got that awful cough.

Yes,...they gave her an antibiotic, 500 mg, taken 2 times a day. I can't remember the damn name of it. I assume some generic of Cephalexin. It begins with Ce something. lol I will look tonight.

So is bacterial respiratory infection basically what they use to diagnose as bronchitis???

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Oh lord. Now they think there is a second one:

1:54 p.m. CDT October 8, 2014

(Photo: WFAA)

CONNECT
    TWEETLINKEDIN
    COMMENTEMAILMORE

FRISCO — A patient exhibiting "signs and symptoms of Ebola" has been transported from a Frisco CareNow.
    The CareNow is located in the 300 block of Main Street.
    "The patient claims to have had contact with the Dallas 'patient zero,'" according to a statement from Dana Baird-Hanks, a spokeswoman with the city of Frisco.
    Baird-Hanks says crews are at the scene "examining clinical staff and facility patrons."
    More details to come.

Good Lord, I hate this headline. I thought they were saying that someone was diagnosed in San Francisco....

Okay, they can't stop it from moving out of Africa. They can't. And I'm starting to think it can mutate and become airborne.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Okay, they can't stop it from moving out of Africa. They can't. And I'm starting to think it can mutate and become airborne.
    I'm concerned about the Spanish nurse who contracted it outside of Africa. She thinks she caught it while removing a protective suit after treating a patient. And even worse than Duncan, the hospital she was at made her wait in the ER waiting room for 8 hours after her first positive Ebola test result. According to the BBC, her condition has worsened and she is now on assisted breathing. By the way, it looks like physicians and nurses at the hospital are outraged that the missionaries who were brought there were almost dead by the time they arrived.
    BITTER likes this.

OK, I admit I skipped from page 1 to this page, so forgive me if it's been covered, but why the HELL would they even still allow flights out of the heavily affected countries at all??? Or allow flights in FROM those countries??

The scary part about the nurse is that she didn't have the expected ebola symptoms, and even though she was telling the hospital and her doctors that she thought she had ebola, they didn't take her seriously because the symptoms didn't match. Like, her fever wasn't within the ebola limits so they assumed she didn't have it.

Isn't this nurse the one that the city went in and euthanized her dog?

This is a very scary thing.

Yes, that was so sad. They claimed that the dog could spread the virus without presenting symptoms. Poor dog was put down yesterday I think.

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread Information