Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    ManxMouse - has our government ever let us down or led us astray? Of course not. They've totally got this!
    I just had to laugh at Dallas, and I'm allowed because I'm from there. But parts of the city are indeed like a second-world country, if that. East Dallas is pretty bad, parts of South Dallas don't even have running water. Nothing new though, just big city plight. What really got me, though, is the dude pressure washing the vomit off the apartment complex sidewalk. No protective gear and he's a random guy they hired, I doubt he even knew exactly what he was dealing with. A woman in the photo was wearing flip flops and her dress was nearly trailing thru the death sludge as it gets sprayed all over. Yeah, by that time it wouldn't have been infectious.....but point being, it just sat there all day after the guy was taken to the hospital, when it would have been. If my kid lived there, he surely would have found a way to trudge through it and rub his eyes after taking his shoes off. Or how about a dog tracking it inside. Not at all an unlikely scenario. And we rail on Africa for their poor sanitation and hygiene conditions, but you do at least see the medics and authorities taking it seriously in hazmat suits and all. it's stupid shit like they did in Dallas that doesn't really inspire confidence.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Sorry if I asked this here already?..but does anyone know how the NBC photojournalist contracted it? That fact seems to be conspicuously absent. IIRC..he was in the area with the team covering Ebola and would have taken all the same precautions.

Also...i agree we do not need to run and live in a cave..but are droplets from sneezing or coughing considered body fluids...?

Quote Originally Posted by BoogsBun View Post
    Same here. My kids' pediatrician has had a case of it already.
    There are three cases here. One of the kids has the strange thing that's causing paralysis. The other two are hospitalized with breathing problems. It's scary. I get really scared because a lot of people don't leave their kids home when they're obviously sick. One of my friends said the school district is sending around letters to the parents telling them that sick kids need to stay home.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Sorry if I asked this here already?..but does anyone know how the NBC photojournalist contracted it? That fact seems to be conspicuously absent. IIRC..he as in the area wither the team covering Ebola and would have taken all the same precautions.

Also...i agree we do not need to run and live in a cave..but are droplets from sneezing or coughing considered body fluids...?
    Apparently, the droplets won't spread it, but it is found in saliva and sweat. It would have to be a perfect storm scenario. That's what I was reading.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Actually, hiding out in a cave is like the worst thing you can do, since bats are the natural host for the Ebola virus.

A young child in the area died of enterovirus 68 at the end of last month.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    A young child in the area died of enterovirus 68 at the end of last month.
    I just heard about that. Poor kid and poor family. Apparently, he had no underlying health issues, such as asthma. Very sad.

Colorado got absolutely slammed with that enterovirus. It ran through the schools like crazy, my son's football team got it (a lot of them anyway), but its only sending the kids with preexisting conditions to the hospital for the most part. My absolutely healthy 14yo had a wheezy cough for about a month, but since everyone had it, the schools decided it wasn't an acceptable reason for missing school for the "milder" cases, but kids who had chronic health issues were allowed to stay home away from the "herd" that was already sick.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Colorado got absolutely slammed with that enterovirus. It ran through the schools like crazy, my son's football team got it (a lot of them anyway), but its only sending the kids with preexisting conditions to the hospital for the most part. My absolutely healthy 14yo had a wheezy cough for about a month, but since everyone had it, the schools decided it wasn't an acceptable reason for missing school for the "milder" cases, but kids who had chronic health issues were allowed to stay home away from the "herd" that was already sick.
    We've all had a horrible cough for a least a month. I've taken my daughter to the doctor and they say it's nothing. I read that Colorado got hit bad.

Hope your son is on the mend.

Oh, he's been fine for the past 2-3 weeks or so. Other than a hacking cough he was completely functional. Short of sleep, but functional.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Okay,..I have a question. They are saying it isn't airborne. Fine. But if someone coughs or sneezes phlegm/mucus/spit on their hand, and then touches a door, and then I touch that same door and place my hand to my mouth, can it be passed this way?? To me that is pretty contagious if it can spread like that,...not the hard to catch, have to be semi intimate with bodily fluids such as vomit, blood, feces, ect, like they have been saying.

And, I also wonder,...malaria was spread via mosquitoes,...could this as well??

I'm not one to freak out,....but I just have some questions that I am curious about, and I don't want to go there with my daughter, who is a nurse. Sometimes she bombards me with facts and uses big medical words, and my eyes glaze over and she loses me fast.

My 16 year old is home today with a sore throat, runny nose, cough and plugged up head/sinuses. I'm thinking it is probably just seasonal allergies, but she is chilling now and her throat is still sore. I called and made her an appointment for the morning.

Supposedly, it can live on surfaces for up to six days. In comparison, HIV survives about 20 seconds outside the body and Hep C survives up to six weeks. I do not worry about catching HepC from a door knob, and I refuse to do so with Ebola. I'll take the proper precautions should this become a danger to us, but I refuse to let it dictate my life in the meantime.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

NEBULIZER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enterovirus D68: My son was 'gasping for breath' - CNN.com
    Flygirl likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    Oh, he's been fine for the past 2-3 weeks or so. Other than a hacking cough he was completely functional. Short of sleep, but functional.
    I've been to the doctor for this crazy cough. It's lasted off and on for over six weeks. My daughter as it, but not as annoying as mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    Supposedly, it can live on surfaces for up to six days. In comparison, HIV survives about 20 seconds outside the body and Hep C survives up to six weeks. I do not worry about catching HepC from a door knob, and I refuse to do so with Ebola. I'll take the proper precautions should this become a danger to us, but I refuse to let it dictate my life in the meantime.
    Logically, I try to be this way. But, my Howard Hughesness just sometimes takes over. I'll be wearing a mask and gloves before the year is over. Hey, at least I know I have a problem
    Flygirl and ConstanceSpry like this.

fgg

Jaguars apologize for mascot's sign

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jaguars have apologized for their mascot using the Ebola epidemic to mock the Pittsburgh Steelers' Terrible Towels during Sunday's game between the teams at EverBank Field on Sunday afternoon.

The social media world did not take kindly to Jaxson de Ville's sign for the Jaguars' game against the Steelers on Sunday.

Jaxson de Ville held up a handwritten sign during the fourth quarter of the game that read "TOWELS CARRY EBOLA" while carrying a yellow Terrible Towel in his right hand. Jaguars president Mark Lamping said the team had no prior knowledge of the sign and is handling the matter internally.

"Improvisation and humor have both been key elements to the character of Jaxson de Ville, especially when he performs at home games," Lamping said. "On Sunday, the person who has played Jaxson de Ville over the past 20 seasons made an extremely poor decision in that regard.

"The team was unaware of this inappropriate sign, which was hand-made by Jaxson during the fourth quarter of yesterday's game, until after it had been displayed. We are handling the matter internally and taking it very seriously. We extend our sincerest apologies to anyone who was offended."

Curtis Dvorak has been playing de Ville since the mascot's inception in 1996. The picture of the mascot holding the sign went viral and drew the ire of many on social media Sunday night.

Ebola is a viral disease that is highly infectious and spread by contact with bodily fluids. It has a mortality rate of nearly 90 percent. According to the World Health Organization Ebola response roadmap update from Friday, there have been nearly 8,000 probable, confirmed or suspected cases of the disease in the African nations of Guinea, Liberia and Sierra Leone.

There has been one confirmed case of Ebola in the United States, in Dallas.

Jacksonville Jaguars apologize for mascot's Ebola sign - ESPN

ebola isn't funny but i couldn't help but laugh at the sign.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

Oh, pshhhh. Like they didn't know that was going to cause a stir. Using public health crises to make jokes is pretty lowdown, IMO. But, it's the NFL, so I should have expected the crassness.
    white, black, puerto rican/everybody just a freakin'/good times were rollin'.

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread Information