Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

fgg

i just saw on the news that there is a suspected case in DC right now.
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

At the risk of sounding like an ass, it is past time to suspend incoming flights from the affected West African countries. We're treating this like it's child's play. The CDC head said we shouldn't stop the flights because that would make these countries more isolated and it would be hard to help them, making global spread more likely. Nobody bothered to point out that chartered flights and special arrangements can be made for health care workers, researchers, etc. But I guess it's much smarter to rely on those countries' honor-system questioning at their airports and "observation of passengers" upon arrival (whatever the fuck that means). Because that's worked out well so far.

Am I taking crazy pills here?!
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

yes, you are. taking crazy pills, I mean. ebola is awful but it's not like SARS or other airborne diseases, meaning that it will never spread to the same extent that those will. ebola is not highly contagious — it can only spread through contact with an infected person’s bodily fluids and is not airborne yes, measures need to be taken but no, closing borders and trying to isolate those countries is not the solution. ebola isn't spreading to the rest of the world and I seriously doubt there will be more than a handful of cases outside of the affected area in west africa. there have been ebola outbreaks before, just not to this extent. right now we need to worry about how to treat and stop the outbreak in west africa, not start some widespread panic about it spreading to the US or europe and stop calling for flights to be cancelled and for borders to be shut down.

let's not succumb to mass hysteria, people.

You can only contract Ebola through direct contact with the bodily fluids of someone who's actively sick with it. It's not like a cold or the flu, which can be spread before symptoms show up. And it doesn't spread through the air.
    so yeah, you can only catch ebola from someone who's already got symptoms, not while it's still in the incubation phase - and the symptoms are so severe it's highly unlikely they would be allowed to travel. so yeah, don't worry.
    Kathie_Moffett and dilligaf like this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I am not suggesting isolating those countries--I agree there needs to be a massive response into those countries. But I am suggesting air travel shouldn't be 100% wide open both ways, with the current protocols in place--at least when we have seen a breakdown in response at each level of this person's timeline, which is exactly what can contribute to spreading the disease. Am I personally worried for myself? No. But the experts were saying just 2 weeks ago that Ebola wouldn't get here; and then Dallas gonna be Dallas (it's been like the Keystone Cops over there) --- so some people might die from this "patient zero," even if just a couple. And I would mention, there is at least one article where people who know Duncan are quoted as saying he was in fact having symptoms when he left the country. What's to stop more sick people who have US contacts from hauling ass over here so they won't die in Liberia (Guinea, Sierra Leone, Nigeria)? Are there zero reasonable restrictions we can apply, I ask in all sincerity?
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

Bronze Member

Nigeria no longer has any current case of Ebola, please get you facts straight and only 7 citizens died from the disease, Nigeria is the most populated Country in Africa, that just tells you Ebola is not highly contagious. Also, an infected Ebola patient also made it into Senegal, it was caught on time and no one was infected. You can only contract the virus from an infected person who is already showing symptoms.
    twitchy2.0 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvgossip View Post
    Nigeria no longer has any current case of Ebola, please get you facts straight and only 7 citizens died from the disease, Nigeria is the most populated Country in Africa, that just tells you Ebola is not highly contagious. Also, an infected Ebola patient also made it into Senegal, it was caught on time and no one was infected. You can only contract the virus from an infected person who is already showing symptoms.
    before attacking me, you should know the case of possible ebola being monitored right now in DC had been in Nigeria. The medical team said his history was consistent with possible ebola exposure, so take it up with them. Good lord, that really wasn't the point of what I was saying anyhow. And I realize it isn't "highly contagious" as measured by the way in which it is transmitted (not airborne by aerosol or small mist-type droplets), but it can live outside the body for a while and if you do contact any fluid, it takes a very small viron load to transmit to a host touching any of their mucosa membranes, cuts, etc. Just saying.

Absolutely, Ebola's not that contagious. People are just super afraid of it because it's so vicious and gruesome once you do have it. I don't think we're going to have a massive epidemic of it here, and moreover, it's been encouraging how well patients treated in American hospitals have been faring. Let's see, so far--Brantly, the missionary lady, another doctor this week, and Duncan? Now a press photog too? That's five and nobody has died yet. Looks like those ugly fatality percentages have a lot to do with lousy healthcare services.

Still, is there really any harm in limiting passenger travel from Sierra Leone and Liberia until they get shit under control there? African countries are doing it. Plus several African airlines, British Airways, and Air France aren't running flights to those countries either. Yet some people seem to be all OMG WHAT A CRUEL THING TO DO (not here, elsewhere.) It's just an ounce of caution. If even one person in Dallas dies of Ebola, flight restrictions would've been worth it.

But I agree that everyone's attention and resources should be focused not on the airline issue but on two basic points: beefing up response on every level to suspected cases in other countries, and helping to shut down the epidemic in Africa NOW. Not just for the obvious reasons involving all those suffering people, either. One thing a lot of researchers, medical experts, and the like have said repeatedly about Ebola, is that the more cases occur, the more chance there is of a mutation which could go airborne.

ManxMouse likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

OCD

The "let's not overreact" method is working great. Wouldn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by restricting travel. That would be insane. CDC Officials Meet Flight After Passenger Shows Possible Ebola Symptoms - ABC News

^^^
    this isn't about hurting feelings. one guy doesn't constitute a serious breach in the system. there is no ebola outbreak in the US and there won't be. you need to chill the fuck out or get medicated for your paranoia. no one is allowing flights because they don't want to hurt feelings, and there are restrictions in place and in many cases non-essential travel is very limited. they're not doing more because it's not necessary.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by Kathie_Moffett View Post
    Absolutely, Ebola's not that contagious. People are just super afraid of it because it's so vicious and gruesome once you do have it. I don't think we're going to have a massive epidemic of it here, and moreover, it's been encouraging how well patients treated in American hospitals have been faring. Let's see, so far--Brantly, the missionary lady, another doctor this week, and Duncan? Now a press photog too? That's five and nobody has died yet. Looks like those ugly fatality percentages have a lot to do with lousy healthcare services.

Still, is there really any harm in limiting passenger travel from Sierra Leone and Liberia until they get shit under control there? African countries are doing it. Plus several African airlines, British Airways, and Air France aren't running flights to those countries either. Yet some people seem to be all OMG WHAT A CRUEL THING TO DO (not here, elsewhere.) It's just an ounce of caution. If even one person in Dallas dies of Ebola, flight restrictions would've been worth it.

But I agree that everyone's attention and resources should be focused not on the airline issue but on two basic points: beefing up response on every level to suspected cases in other countries, and helping to shut down the epidemic in Africa NOW. Not just for the obvious reasons involving all those suffering people, either. One thing a lot of researchers, medical experts, and the like have said repeatedly about Ebola, is that the more cases occur, the more chance there is of a mutation which could go airborne.

Sorry to deflect from the topic but from this angle, that razor looks like a vibe. Just saying.
    It's a good way to go if you've got it.
    Kathie_Moffett and BITTER like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    before attacking me, you should know the case of possible ebola being monitored right now in DC had been in Nigeria. The medical team said his history was consistent with possible ebola exposure, so take it up with them. Good lord, that really wasn't the point of what I was saying anyhow. And I realize it isn't "highly contagious" as measured by the way in which it is transmitted (not airborne by aerosol or small mist-type droplets), but it can live outside the body for a while and if you do contact any fluid, it takes a very small viron load to transmit to a host touching any of their mucosa membranes, cuts, etc. Just saying.
    ManxMouse - has our government ever let us down or led us astray? Of course not. They've totally got this!
    BITTER likes this.

OCD

I don't feel paranoid in the least, but I do disagree that it's not necessary. If we stopped flights (non-essential travel) to the affected areas this should would die out much faster. I guess there are two types of people- those that would rather overreact just in case and those that would rather say meh, if it gets bad we can consider other options.

Our stance to not restrict any air travel is partially about not hurting feelings. Every move the government makes is carefully weighed against being politically correct and not causing a shit storm. They freak out more about measles than they are with ebola. And I just disagree with that. I think it's better to lock that shit down asap rather than wait and see.

I grocery shop, go out in public, work and have a life- if I felt unable to leave my house or had to wear a body condom when leaving the house, I would definitely take meds or become a Rastafarian.

We'll wait and see how many of Texas Ebola Dude's family members end up shitting and puking blood. If they don't get sick then I will concede to being possibly a wee bit overly anxious.
    Last edited by OCD; October 5th, 2014 at 11:41 AM. Reason: *responding to sputnik and forgot to include quote.

Elite Member

Thousands of people die of the flu (which IS airborne) every year. Should everyone on the planet stay in a bubble until flu season is over? Yes, ebola sucks. Yes, it's deadly. No, it isn't going to kill us all and we don't need to overreact.

I'm really thinking about a bubble these days. I mentioned upthread that I'm more afraid of this enterovirus thing that's infecting kids.
    greysfang and sparkles like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I'm really thinking about a bubble these days. I mentioned upthread that I'm more afraid of this enterovirus thing that's infecting kids.
    Same here. My kids' pediatrician has had a case of it already.

Page 3 of 14 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information