Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

Ugh. I'm always shocked by the sheer incompetence that can be displayed by people who are supposed to be educated.
    And my guess is this guy got scared after his contact with his sick neighbor, and hightailed it to the states, so he could get real care if he got ill. What I don't get though, is a news report I heard this morning: that the 12-18 people who are being monitored has now been expanded to about 80 because of their interaction with those original 12-18. If the virus truly doesn't spread until one is symptomatic, and there's no report of the 12-18 having gotten sick at this point, then what's up with that?

ETA: this is the hospital I was born in, and I'm returning to Dallas next week. Hopefully the state fair won't be ebola-fest, because I am eating the shit out of some fair food. The menu this year:
    Chicken-fried loaded ebola potato
    Spicy fried ebola balls
    Twisted ebola tacos
    Fried gulf shrimp ebola
    Fried PB&J with banana, bacon, and ebola
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

[QUOTE=BBDSP;3260025]That is a pretty big fuck-up. Apparently at least one of the clinicians in the ER who saw him asked him about recent travel per the CDC recommendations and he disclosed that he had traveled from Liberia, and somehow this information did not get passed along./QUOTE]

The United States is finally being punished for its appallingly bad knowledge of geography. The hospital personnel who saw this guy probably think that Liberia is in New Jersey.

I think ebola has always been treated like something that's super scary, but will never make it here. Now that time has come and people are scrambling to get all the information. I was reading a link from Facebook (yeah, I know) and there was a quote from a virologist (had no clue that was a job) and they basically said they can't say 100% for sure that there is no way that this virus can't spread through close casual contact. The virus is found in varying degrees in saliva. So, it may not be a true airborne virus like the flu, but it's also not something like HIV, where you have to come in extremely close physical contact with blood.

This isn't my big worry at the moment. It's the scary enterovirus that's causing paralysis. It's here in Socal. I'm just planning on lots of Netflix and indoor time for the next 6 months. Glad there's GR.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by iluvgossip View Post
    Calm down people, Ebola is scary only if it is properly managed. Liberia, S. Leone and Guinea screwed up majorly. Like I said earlier, the virus made it to Nigeria (thanks to a Liberian diplomat), it was caught on time and the death toll was only 7 nigerian citizens. I should know, I was in Lagos at the time. U.S. can handle this, they probably even have a vaccine for it already
    the problem isn't so much that s. leone, liberia and guinea screwed up, it's that they have poorly staffed and inadequate health systems to begin with, as a result of poverty, underdevelopment, and the fact that this entire region is just recently emerging from years of conflict and instability. you also have to take into account the ignorance and lack of education in many parts of these countries. for instances, there have been many cases of people hiding their sick and refusing to let health workers into villages because they have seen that when health workers come and take their people away, they die. (yes, i know it doesn't make any sense to blame the health workers but we're talking about rural, poor, uneducated villages here)
    so there's a lot of psychosis about health workers which leads to people hiding their sick and spreading the disease even more. people are traumatised by seeing their loved ones taken away only to be told that they've died, and they're not even allowed to see or bury their dead since bodies have to be disposed of safely to prevent even more spreading. it's a truly fucked up situation.

nigeria did very well in containing the spread to their country, i agree.
    there's a UN special mission starting soon, and neighbouring countries have agreed to keep borders open (whilst scaling up security) because closing them and isolating these countries won't help either, since it will just lead to economic losses that they can't handle, and fuck up the already fragile regional economy.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    the problem isn't so much that s. leone, liberia and guinea screwed up, it's that they have poorly staffed and inadequate health systems to begin with, as a result of poverty, underdevelopment, and the fact that this entire region is just recently emerging from years of conflict and instability. you also have to take into account the ignorance and lack of education in many parts of these countries. for instances, there have been many cases of people hiding their sick and refusing to let health workers into villages because they have seen that when health workers come and take their people away, they die. (yes, i know it doesn't make any sense to blame the health workers but we're talking about rural, poor, uneducated villages here)
    so there's a lot of psychosis about health workers which leads to people hiding their sick and spreading the disease even more. people are traumatised by seeing their loved ones taken away only to be told that they've died, and they're not even allowed to see or bury their dead since bodies have to be disposed of safely to prevent even more spreading. it's a truly fucked up situation.
    In the US, during the height of the Spanish flu (1917, I think?), people locked themselves in their homes, and nobody would come out, and nobody would go in to look in on them. You would have parents dying of the flu, and the kids starving to death because nobody was checking on them.
    sputnik likes this.

I'm one step away from Howard Hughes, so I'm not checking in on anybody!!

Just kidding...sort of.

Keisha gurl, um skeert.
    KrisNine likes this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Things are pretty calm here-considering!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

what sput said is perfectly illustrated in this video, especially around the 8-14 minute mark...

Monkey Meat and the Ebola Outbreak in Liberia - YouTube

OrangeSlice likes this.
    "This is not meant to be at all offensive: You suffer from diarrhea of the mouth but constipation of the brain." - McJag

A freelance cameraman for nbc is the latest to be diagnosed in Liberia.

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Ugh. I'm always shocked by the sheer incompetence that can be displayed by people who are supposed to be educated.
    And my guess is this guy got scared after his contact with his sick neighbor, and hightailed it to the states, so he could get real care if he got ill. What I don't get though, is a news report I heard this morning: that the 12-18 people who are being monitored has now been expanded to about 80 because of their interaction with those original 12-18. If the virus truly doesn't spread until one is symptomatic, and there's no report of the 12-18 having gotten sick at this point, then what's up with that?

ETA: this is the hospital I was born in, and I'm returning to Dallas next week. Hopefully the state fair won't be ebola-fest, because I am eating the shit out of some fair food. The menu this year:
    Chicken-fried loaded ebola potato
    Spicy fried ebola balls
    Twisted ebola tacos
    Fried gulf shrimp ebola
    Fried PB&J with banana, bacon, and ebola
    Assuming they fry that shit up in Crisco, garnish it with cilantro, and provide plenty of jello shots and ebola vodka to wash it all down with.
    ManxMouse likes this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Anderson Cooper has been interviewing the girlfriend of the Liberian guy who got ebola. Nobody has been by her place to pick up all the stuff that he got his body fluids on. They told her to put it in plastic bags and wait for further instructions. In the meantime, she was under quarantine and no food was being delivered to her. After making a public plea, they finally sent some food. It really seems like there is no plan, other than to say, "Noting to worry about!!!"

OCD

I think this shit's gonna spread. We've been so arrogant claiming it would never come here and now the whole entire world is watching us "handle" ebola like an awkward greasy fat boy having sex for the first time.

I have a hard enough time touching a fucking grocery cart handle as it is. Now this shit. I don't even drink and have considered becoming a full time drunk several times today in order to cope. Enough politeness I say; it's time to kill travel in and out countries experiencing outbreaks- even ours. Someone needs to get some balls.

Whatever you do, don't read The Hot Zone. I did last month. It destroyed my ability to sleep. I also read the author's other book about smallpox and it was even worse.
    ManxMouse and BITTER like this.

^^^^ most appropriate user name evah!
    OCD and CornFlakegrl like this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

I just keep thinking about Steven Soderbergh's Contagion and how prophetic I hope it isn't.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 12345612 ... LastLast

Thread Information