Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

Not a Christie supporter...but as the nurse had an elevated temp when she got off the plane, I would have isolated her immediately too.

Yet another lesson learned though...the way to treat potentially sick people is not to put them in cold uncomfortable areas with no sustenance or even reading materials to kept their minds occupied.

Love how our country is so prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    ^ The conditions she was held under. She will continue the quarantine at home. Anyway, I hope the people have the same reaction when flu season gets underway.Quarantine for everyone who's been exposed to that virus, I mean, better safe than sorry. And the flu kills about 500,000 a year by many estimates, which dwarfs ebola.
    I keep saying the same exact thing to all my friends working themselves into a frenzy on FaceBook. Every time someone starts with the Ebola shit, I tell them, "Get a flu shot. You're more likely to contract and die of the flu." Some jackass responds that she gets the flu immediately every time she's had the shot. I wish people could take 2 seconds to understand vaccinations.
    witchcurlgirl and ikmccall like this.

^ It's crazy, not only are people ignorant, they're willfully ignorant. I keep asking the people who want a travel ban, and mandatory quarantine for people coming from affected areas what think should be done with health care staff treating people here. Do we quarantine the quarantiners?
    sputnik and kasippu like this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Elite Member

^ It's crazy, not only are people ignorant, they're willfully ignorant. I keep asking the people who want a travel ban, and mandatory quarantine for people coming from affected areas what think should be done with health care staff treating people here. Do we quarantine the quarantiners?
    It's not Ebola I'm scared of, it's human stupidity.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Good question:

Let's say it takes 5 people to administer someone under quarantine for 21 days.

And those 5 people, in turn, need 5 quarantiners to administer to them for 21 days after.

This number expands exponentially every 21 days by a factor of 5n, such that by day 252 (21 x 13), everyone in the United States will have been under quarantine at least once (512 < US Population < 513).
    kasippu and CornFlakegrl like this.

another thing i noticed is how people were calling for quarantines left and right - until americans started getting quarantined. then it was excessive. gotta love american exceptionalism.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Good question:

And those 5 people, in turn, need 5 quarantiners to administer to them for 21 days after.

This number expands exponentially every 21 days by a factor of 5n, such that by day 252 (21 x 13), everyone in the United States will have been under quarantine at least once (512 < US Population < 513).
    Not me. I'm not taking care of anybody.
    MohandasKGanja and deenz like this.

Oh fuck a duck people are just fucking retarded (for lack of better word. I'm sorry to those who may be offended by my using it.)

Facebook friend who's always freaking out about Ebola and gets the flu from the flu shot:

Her: I'm sick! Fever and vomiting."
    Me: You have Ebola!
    Her: @ me I work with the public hands on everyone I do hair...thats not even funny to me sorry!!!!!!!
    She washes hair in a salon. Doy!

Me: Here's a little perspective. There are 8 billion people in the world. There have been 15,063 confirmed cases of Ebola with 4,922 deaths. Of those infected there were 4 American cases; 1 died. 2 contracted Ebola in Africa, 2 in care of the one person who died. There are 317 million Americans. Can you work the math on your odds of contracting Ebola statistically or shall I do it for you? Simple mathematical answer= slim to none.

Now influenza kills an estimated 500,00 people a year worldwide. Anywhere between 5-20% of Americans will contract the flu in a given flu season. See the difference? BTW, you don't have the flu either. Flu is a respiratory illness. You may have gastroenteritis, a stomach bug.
    JazzyGirl, Kathie_Moffett and stef like this.

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Good question:

There you go again with your math and logic, Mo!

ETA: The easy part is figuring out what to do with healthcare workers who have contracted Ebola or at least have symptoms--get them into isolation and give them the best treatment available. It is just weird and sad to me that no one seems to have thought ahead and come up with a sensible way and compassionate way to handle healthcare workers returning to the U.S. who have cared for Ebola patients but who have not (yet) shown symptoms, if only for their own protection. It's not as though this situation could not be foreseen.
    Last edited by BBDSP; October 29th, 2014 at 01:01 PM.
    MohandasKGanja and JazzyGirl like this.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

3rd grader returned from Nigeria where she attended wedding with her family. Nigeria is not a hot zone...but school tells family to keep her home for 21 days. Family now suing.

Milford family sues after 3rd grader barred from school over Ebola fear

so the school was reacting to the fears and rumors. And wanting to just let this pass and not feed the Ebola fear. Wonder if they using it as an educational moment....for both parents and kids, like looking at the facts of Ebola on Nigeria and the geography of Africa.
    Last edited by JazzyGirl; October 29th, 2014 at 02:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    for both parents and kids, like looking at the facts of Ebola on Nigeria and the geography of Africa.
    i doubt it, the shool should have known that Nigeria has a better record in the last 5 weeks then the US.

Situation assessment - 20 October 2014 Nigeria is now free of Ebola virus transmission The lines on the tabular situation reports, sent to WHO each day by its country office in Nigeria, have now been full of zeros for 42 days.WHO officially declares that Nigeria is now free of Ebola virus transmission.
    If a country act adequate and proper steps are taken, this can be contained. Guinea has the problem that the health care is really bad, and local people so badly educated they have not really an idea what is going on. Many believe it is witch craft.

If the developed world reaction to this would have been better this would never have become this bad.
    The whole media circus is making me so mad. And if the people are so worried, why don't they donate to the cause. Guinea and Sierra Leone simply doesn't have the means (unlike Nigeria) to control it.
    Last edited by kasippu; October 30th, 2014 at 12:50 AM.

That nurse in Maine should be quarantined for her eyebrows alone.
    sputnik likes this.

And now that it's Halloween, we can all expect some original and side-splitting medical costumes with some reference to Ebola.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    That nurse in Maine should be quarantined for her eyebrows alone.
    Not that I want to derail this thread...but what is up with them? Are they lightly tattooed? Dyed?

to put it back on track...the nurse made a reference on the news about wanting pizza from her local place, and they are now getting calls from patrons who want to make sure the nurse isn't there before they go in.

Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 391011121314 LastLast

Thread Information