Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 7891011121314 LastLast
Like Tree200Likes

Thread: New York Times: CDC predicts up to 1.4 million cases of Ebola

^^^ this dog -- I WANT. That cute, and he'll tell me jokes all day, too?!
    Flygirl likes this.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

This reminds me of the SARS outbreak. I was in whistler as an Olympic volunteer, riding a bus that was overloaded by about 50%. There was some woman coughing her brains out without covering her mouth. The lady beside me turns to me and says, deadpan, "We're all going to die." All I could do was laugh.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by Charmed Hour View Post
    My parent institution has been deemed the Ebola response hospital for the Bronx. That side of the Bronx has many West African immigrants. They're building an entire new structure to accommodate an isolation ward for any patients exhibiting Ebola like symptoms. Cost: nearly $3 million.

They've asked staff to volunteer for duty (Er docs, nurses, etc) none have stepped forward so now it'll be compulsory. Names are going to be drawn from a hat.
    Of course this made me think--Gryffindors will do the most dangerous up-close care, Hufflepuffs will be the comforting nurturers, Ravenclaws will mind every patient's chart, dotting all the Is and crossing all the Ts, and Slytherins will keep stern watch over each case making sure safety protocols are rigorously observed.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    I just don't get it. This guy is a doctor who was working in an ebola stricken area with ebola patients. How did he, a pretty educated person,not think it would have been a good idea to self quarantine? Or does he think he was so much smarter than everyone else and of course he wouldn't have made any mistakes in handling the patients or with the protocol?
    It's possible that the God complex/ironclad (and unrealistic) sense of immunity/flat-out denial exhibited by some medical workers will get more people here sick than anything else.

Currently, the first returning nurse to be forcibly quarantined is throwing a huge hissy fit about it. Well, she should blame that doctor. If people cannot be trusted to self-monitor, what else can the authorities do?

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^^
    you're OCD and a paranoid little conspiracy theorist, aren't you?
    less than half of the affected in africa have died. and this in countries with bad health systems. take those same sick people and put them in a developed country with excellent healthcare and that percentage will be even lower. there are also a lot of experimental treatments out there - including some that use blood taken from other patients who have recovered. the WHO is also working on an experimental vaccine and will have a million doses ready by late next year.

i'll say it again: people need to calm down. yes, some guy in new york has it. yes, there will probably be more isolated cases in the US and other developed nations. but no, you're not going to get ebola.

QFT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OCD View Post
    I am genuinely curious about the advances that we've made in treating it. It seems like they've got it figured out as recovery times are speeding up dramatically. I've been following ebola since the mid 90's when it was just some odd and horrible disease that would pop up spontaneously in Africa.
    Apart from the techniques Sputnik mentioned, like blood transfusions from survivors, experimental drugs etc., what I've read indicates that aggressive hydration is incredibly crucial. And that's often neglected amidst terrible treatment conditions in Africa. I mean, you have people at home, won't/can't go to hospital or there is no hospital bed to go to--they aren't getting IV fluids and they can't keep fluid taken by mouth down, or aren't even given enough. They dehydrate further and this helps kill them. They always say with a viral infection you should drink lots of fluids; sounds like that's even more crucial with Ebola.

A Nigerian doctor in an article I read feels that she survived the disease largely because she began drinking bottle after bottle of water with electrolytes the minute she began showing symptoms. She kept it up as long as she possibly could. American hospitals seem to be pursuing the same course--even resorting to dialysis to flush the kidneys.

The other thing I'm not seeing explicitly discussed is that contagion intensifies with Ebola as the disease progresses. Even a light fever and malaise don't apparently indicate a massive amount of the virus in your body, so you are not generally infectious even then. In fact, at that stage, you'd probably have to drink an infected person's blood or something to catch it from them.

I've read that Ebola doesn't start showing up in sweat until the patient is very, very sick, with a huge viral load present in their body. This is why even Duncan's family didn't get sick--by the time he was past the initial stages, they probably suspected the worst and gave him a wide berth. And it makes sense given that the nurses he did infect cared for him while he was dying--when he had become massively contagious.

It still pisses me off that the self-monitoring doctor went bowling and rode the subway. FFS, man. I read a comment somewhere that said "this is it, arrogant hipsters will kill us all" and I admit that cracked me up.

Also, my niece sent me this. "Ebola-Chan" is now personified as a disturbing little meme....and she loves you.

Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    That is all kinds of wrong. Too early to find the humor and I fail to see why so many costumes have to have a "sexy" moniker.

Quote Originally Posted by InigoMontoya View Post
    That is all kinds of wrong. Too early to find the humor and I fail to see why so many costumes have to have a "sexy" moniker.
    I know that if I had ebola, having a sexy nurse would help with the palliative portion of my care. By the way, the costume really should have a protocol sheet with it.
    BoogsBun likes this.

It should but there was NO protocol!
    MohandasKGanja likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

The other thing I'm not seeing explicitly discussed is that contagion intensifies with Ebola as the disease progresses. Even a light fever and malaise don't apparently indicate a massive amount of the virus in your body, so you are not generally infectious even then. In fact, at that stage, you'd probably have to drink an infected person's blood or something to catch it from them.
    The media here has been pretty clear on that point, viral load and risk of contagion increasing as the illness becomes acute. The NY times has written about it consistently, and our mayor and health commisioner have been making it clear in statements since the NY doc story broke.
    kasippu likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Ok my question: Ebola has existed for decades. There have been other outbreaks where healthcare workers have gone in to the stricken areas. What makes this outbreak different? The scope of the outbreak? Just a situation Waiting to happen?

The interwebs. AMC's The Walking Dead.

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post

The media here has been pretty clear on that point, viral load and risk of contagion increasing as the illness becomes acute. The NY times has written about it consistently, and our mayor and health commisioner have been making it clear in statements since the NY doc story broke.
    That's really great. I have seen so many people--reporters/writers and the public commenting--who seem to think that if someone with asymptomatic Ebola or even a mild fever touches you, you're gonna OMGGG drop dead. But then I haven't read much New York based coverage or the NYT (because subscription, I don't have one. Though I probably should, since I love reading--as opposed to watching--the news, and both the LA and especially SF papers are not what they were...)

Quote Originally Posted by JazzyGirl View Post
    Ok my question: Ebola has existed for decades. There have been other outbreaks where healthcare workers have gone in to the stricken areas. What makes this outbreak different? The scope of the outbreak? Just a situation Waiting to happen?
    Nobody seems to know (or will say)--but maybe just math? At a certain point, if the numbers of people infected are sufficient, an epidemic takes off. Plus this one isn't centered in a...what is the word..."developed" aka Westernized, industrialized type country. Nigeria, Kenya, Senegal and similar African countries all seem more knowledgeable about disease and contagion and have more stable governments in place. Apparently Nigeria locked down mandatory quarantine the minute they had a case, for instance. Liberia is a mess and from the sound of things it's been that way for a long time.

Also yes, what you said--I remember the author of "The Hot Zone" saying that Ebola was a disaster waiting to happen. That was back in the 90s; looks like he was correct.

What do you guys think?
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

So Nigeria issues a mandatory quarantine...but we do not. I am just frustrated by the response. I know I know...it's all been said here, and we don't have to be overly concerned, but no lessons are being learned.

I think another "fact" that was being touted is "these outbreaks last 3weeks, then they burn out." Yeah..not happening, maybe that is also a factor, the length of time this is being considered active. I keep going back to the title of this thread. Globally 1.4 million is not huge. But it is still a huge number for one outbreak.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post

We have another sexy Ebola nurse! There is even an Ebola themed party...

twitchy2.0 and BoogsBun like this.

Now I hear this new nurse that just came back from Afric to NJ, wants to sue the state/government because they put her in quarantine?? wtf???

Thread Information