Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree56Likes

Thread: Nelson Mandela dies

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    aw, thanks. it just makes me so sad to think of people who will be "devastated" by the loss of some random person and won't even know who this great man is. my son was at rehearsal yesterday when the alert came on his phone that he had passed. he mentioned it to the other kids and he said they ALL said "who's that?"... it's disgusting that people don't know who this man is and what he accomplished and how he suffered and NEVER gave up and ALWAYS forgave those who wronged him. he is a true testament of the human spirit and this world is better off for having had him here.
    I was too embarrassed to post this but fuck it. You think that's bad, try sitting next to a 30 yr old and a 36 year old listening to this conversation at my job this morning:
    30 yr old "who's the black man that just died?"
    36 yr old "I don't know."
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Shall I cheer you up and blame it on Florida?
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(_)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Well the 30 yr old is from Cuba, but no excuse for 36 yr old except mabey she's like that because she is literally from the Keys, born and bred.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    Because like many great men his history is complicated. And because like the saying goes- one man's terrorist is another man's freedom fighter.

He was a great man, and to honor his life we must remember him truthfully. The greatest fiction is that heroes are flawless. Mandela was a visionary, he was also a real human being. His journey is part of his achievement.
    this.
    and almost worse than the assholes who are still denouncing him as a 'terrorist', are the right-wingers who were calling him a terrorist in the 80s and are now claiming he was their hero, or who are whitewashing him and sanctifying him which takes away from his complexity and greatness.

----------------------
    Mandela will never, ever be your minstrel.
    Musa Okwonga
    December 6, 2013

Dear revisionists, Mandela will never, ever be your minstrel. Over the next few days you will try so, so hard to make him something he was not, and you will fail. You will try to smooth him, to sandblast him, to take away his Malcolm X. You will try to hide his anger from view. Right now, you are anxiously pacing the corridors of your condos and country estates, looking for the right words, the right tributes, the right-wing tributes. You will say that Mandela was not about race. You will say that Mandela was not about politics. You will say that Mandela was about nothing but one love, you will try to reduce him to a lilting reggae tune. “Let’s get together, and feel alright.” Yes, you will do that.

You will make out that apartheid was just some sort of evil mystical space disease that suddenly fell from the heavens and settled on all of us, had us all, black or white, in its thrall, until Mandela appeared from the ether to redeem us. You will try to make Mandela a Magic Negro and you will fail. You will say that Mandela stood above all for forgiveness whilst scuttling swiftly over the details of the perversity that he had the grace to forgive.

You will try to make out that apartheid was some horrid spontaneous historical aberration, and not the logical culmination of centuries of imperial arrogance. Yes, you will try that too. You will imply or audaciously state that its evils ended the day Mandela stepped out of jail. You will fold your hands and say the blacks have no-one to blame now but themselves.

Well, try hard as you like, and you’ll fail. Because Mandela was about politics and he was about race and he was about freedom and he was even about force, and he did what he felt he had to do and given the current economic inequality in South Africa he might even have died thinking he didn’t do nearly enough of it. And perhaps the greatest tragedy of Mandela’s life isn’t that he spent almost thirty years jailed by well-heeled racists who tried to shatter millions of spirits through breaking his soul, but that there weren’t or aren’t nearly enough people like him.

Because that’s South Africa now, a country long ago plunged headfirst so deep into the sewage of racial hatred that, for all Mandela’s efforts, it is still retching by the side of the swamp. Just imagine if Cape Town were London. Imagine seeing two million white people living in shacks and mud huts along the M25 as you make your way into the city, where most of the biggest houses and biggest jobs are occupied by a small, affluent to wealthy group of black people. There are no words for the resentment that would still simmer there.

Nelson Mandela was not a god, floating elegantly above us and saving us. He was utterly, thoroughly human, and he did all he did in spite of people like you. There is no need to name you because you know who you are, we know who you are, and you know we know that too. You didn’t break him in life, and you won’t shape him in death. You will try, wherever you are, and you will fail.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Mandela's favorite poem, from which he drew inspiration while in prison was "Invictus," by English poet William Ernest Henley, often reciting it to fellow inmates at Robben Island. The poem is about not giving up in the face of adversity. The 2009 movie starring Morgan Freeman as Mandela takes its name from the poem.
    One of my favorite poems too, I sometimes say to myself the last stanza. RIP, Mr. Mandela.

Invictus

Out of the night that covers me,
    Black as the pit from pole to pole,
    I thank whatever gods may be
    For my unconquerable soul.

In the fell clutch of circumstance
    I have not winced nor cried aloud.
    Under the bludgeonings of chance
    My head is bloody, but unbowed.

Beyond this place of wrath and tears
    Looms but the Horror of the shade,
    And yet the menace of the years
    Finds and shall find me unafraid.

It matters not how strait the gate,
    How charged with punishments the scroll,
    I am the master of my fate,
    I am the captain of my soul.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

I hope the first thing he did when he walked through the Pearly Gates is high five Stephen Biko, who I'm sure was waiting right there.

I think he would have gone for Ahmed Timol first, as they were both ANC and MK, and Timor was there before Biko.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Great point. There is probably a whole high-five procession lined up. I wouldn't put Biko far back in it, though, especially since he was a Xhosa like Mandela.

One of the things I love about Mandela is that when he laughed or smiled, his whole face smiled and he totally brought light to wherever he would be at the moment.

Shinola and levitt like this.
    Warren Beatty: actor, director, writer, producer.

***** celeb

Amazing! I couldn't do this on paper much less with humans.

You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information