Login to remove the ads!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Mother tries to pray away illness, daughter dies instead; Jury convicts mum of murder

Six-Months in Jail for Faith-Healing Parents Who Let Daughter Die

A couple from Wisconsin who prayed for their 11-year-old daughter rather than seek medical attention for what transpired was a treatable form of diabetes have each been sentenced to six months in jail.
    In March 2008 11-year-old Madeline Neumann, known as Kara, became ill. But as they watched their daughter grow weaker and weaker - she was unable to speak, eat, drink or walk - rather than seek the help of a doctor the girl's parents Leilani Neumann, 41, and Dale Neumann, 47, instead chose to pray for their daughter to recover.
    And as Madeline lay dying on the floor of the couple's home in Weston, Wisconsin others joined them in praying for the girl to recover from what was an undiagnosed case of diabetes, which was nevertheless treatable.
    CBS reports that someone praying over Madeline, it did not state that it was her mother or father, called an emergency dispatcher once the 11-year-old girl stopped breathing.
    Facing possible sentences of 25 years in jail after being found guilty of second-degree homicide earlier this year, the Neumanns rejected portrayals of themselves as religious zealots and maintained that they had still kept their faith in God.

As she waited to hear her sentence for having allowing her daughter to die Leilani Neumann said:
    I do not regret trusting truly in the Lord for my daughter's health. Did we know she had a fatal illness? No. Did we act to the best of our knowledge? Yes
    Dale Neumann echoed the sentiments of his wife saying:
    I am guilty of trusting my Lord's wisdom completely. ... Guilty of asking for heavenly intervention. Guilty of following Jesus Christ when the whole world does not understand. Guilty of obeying my God
    When their sentences were finally announced the couple heard Marathon County Circuit Court Judge Vincent Howard describe them as "very good people, raising their family who made a bad decision, a reckless decision". He added that "God probably works through other people, some of them doctors".
    As a part of the sentence the couple eventually received they were put on probation for 10 years and for the next six years each of them must spend one month in jail. They will not serve their sentences in the same month, one of them will be jailed during March and the other during September.
    In addition the two of the couple's three teenage children that are still underage must be examined by a public health nurse at least every three months and if either of the children are seriously injured they must be referred to a doctor immediately.
    The couple are planning an appeal against their sentences, which did not reflect the wishes of either the prosecutors in the case or the Neumanns' lawyers.
    After arguing that the couple had failed in their legal duty to their daughter by not calling for medical help, Assistant District Attorney LaMont Jacobson spoke of justice having been served, but expressed disappointment at the Neumanns having never apologized for their actions.
    Indeed Dale Neumann declared that he and his wife were "completely content with what the Lord has allowed to come down".

Jay Kronenwetter is the lawyer for Mr Neumann and he was asked by the BBC for his opinion on the sentence his client received. He told the BBC:
    My client sees spiritual treatment as the proper medicine and I suspect the people who want harsher punishment see Western medicine as the proper medicine, I guess therein lies the difference. My clients just happen to have a belief that is very outside of our social norm
    The case involving the Neumanns is by no means the only instance in recent times of a parent or parents refusing medical treatment for their child because of religious reasons. In May Digital Journal reported on the case of Daniel Hauser, a 13-year-old boy from Minnesota whose mother initially fled with him rather than allow him to receive treatment for Hodgkin's disease, a form of cancer.
    Six-Months in Jail for Faith-Healing Parents Who Let Daughter Die

Six months? What a joke. If she had been a drunk or junkie who hadn't gotten their kid to the doctor because they were too high to care, I doubt the judge or public opinion would have been so lenient. But because of the religion aspect, this woman gets called 'stupid' instead of what she is-an abuser who's responsible for her child dying.
    "Remember to always be yourself. Unless you suck." - Joss Whedon

"The only thing more expensive than education is ignorance." -Benjamin Franklin

For some reason this reminds me of a Sufjan Stevens song,

Casimir Pulaski Day

Golden rod and the 4-H stone
    The things I brought you
    When I found out you had cancer of the bone

Your father cried on the telephone
    And he drove his car to the Navy yard
    Just to prove that he was sorry

In the morning through the window shade
    When the light pressed up against your shoulder blade
    I could see what you were reading

Oh the glory that the lord has made
    And the complications you could do without
    When I kissed you on the mouth

Tuesday night at the bible study
    We lift our hands and pray over your body
    But nothing ever happens

I remember at Michael's house
    In the living room when you kissed my neck
    And I almost touched your blouse

In the morning at the top of the stairs
    When your father found out what we did that night
    And you told me you were scared

Oh the glory when you ran outside
    With your shirt tucked in and your shoes untied
    And you told me not to follow you

Sunday night when I cleaned the house
    I find the card where you wrote it out
    With the pictures of your mother

On the floor at the great divide
    With my shirt tucked in and my shoes untied
    I am crying in the bathroom

In the morning when you finally go
    And the nurse runs in with her head hung low
    And the cardinal hits the window

In the morning in the winter shade
    On the first of March on the holiday
    I thought I saw you breathing

Oh the glory that the lord has made
    And the complications when I see his face
    In the morning in the window

Oh the glory when he took our place
    But he took my shoulders and he shook my face
    And he takes and he takes and he takes

Exclamation

I dont understand people like this... my X husband's aunt had a lump in her breast, so big that even with a frumpy sweat shirt on, you could clearly see what looked like a third full size boob.

But she refused to go to a doctor. Like. EVER.

She truly believe prayer, eating healthy - like no sugar/salt/fatty foods, and lighting some damn candles at church (Catholic) was going to cure her. GOD was the only thing that could save her. Fucking nutjob.
    Lace bras... Great in theory, itchy nips in reality

How John Travolta of her! Scientology will be so jellus.
    Hello mother fucker! when you ask a question read also the answer instead of asking another question on an answer who already contain the answer of your next question!
    -Bugdoll-

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Six months? What a joke. If she had been a drunk or junkie who hadn't gotten their kid to the doctor because they were too high to care, I doubt the judge or public opinion would have been so lenient. But because of the religion aspect, this woman gets called 'stupid' instead of what she is-an abuser who's responsible for her child dying.
    What was that Marx quote ... "Religion is the opiate of the people"

I agree totally - She should be held just as accountable for being blinded by religion as she would if she was blinded by any sort of drug. Faith cannot be an excuse for irresponsibility and abuse.
    I haven't fucked much with the past, but I've fucked plenty with the future

They are adults and have the right to medical treatment. They do NOT have the right to make that decision for a minor. They had to have known that child was way beyond normal illness. I do not believe watching your child suffer and die is God's will. Far from it. They need a stiffer jail sentance-but that might make them martyrs.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by Aella View Post
    Well it's somewhat "better" than celebrities who do something similar and get no punishment and nothing but lurves and sympathy from the world for their pain and suffering.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information