Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree51Likes

Thread: Michael Morones, 11, attempts suicide after being bullied over My Little Pony

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    I'm torn between what I want to do more: hug your child or go track down those kids. I am so sick of these mean little fuckers and the adults who excuse their behavior by saying they're just kids and it's part of growing up. My kids know the one way they can get in serious trouble with me is by treating someone else unkindly. I also reinforce to them that they will get i just as much trouble if I hear about them not standing up for someone else when given the opportunity to do so.
    Standing aside and being a moral coward is just as bad, if not worse, in my opinion.

Hugs to your son. He has been on my mind since you mentioned him in the thread about the kids standing up for their football manager. Wish he could find some friends like that!
    Flygirl, I wish he could find some friends like your kids.

People really need to talk to their children about their thoughts as well as their feelings. It can be very surprising and devastating when one realizes the thoughts flying around their heads.
    This is true, and the prospect of my kids facing bullying is one of my biggest fears. But I also have to say that some kids will keep it buried; the prospect of telling anyone someone is treating you like that is so utterly humiliating that it can be hard to reveal it, even to your parents. For me, it took teachers wondering why I wasn't going to class to bring the whole thing to a head.
    Shinola and southernbelle like this.
    If you reveal your secrets to the wind you should not blame the wind for revealing them to the trees.

- Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Flygirl, I wish he could find some friends like your kids.
    We have truly lucked out with the small school my kids go to. (they are only 4 and 6, but still) The kids there of all ages are just so nice. I know we are just lucky, but I am so thankful for it. My little boy has really bad cross eyes and wears pretty thick glasses to correct for them. He was having a really bad day one day with not wanting to wear them and crying a little bit because he didn't want to be different. His teacher went to go get a senior who she knew pretty well (an extremely handsome, popular boy with athletic scholarship offers in baseball and football) and this young man took the contacts he normally wears out, put on his glasses, and came to take my son to the lunchroom where he sat at his own table and ate with him. A four year old and an eighteen year old! This was his idea completely; the teacher just wanted him to talk to him. My boy was in heaven. All I hear now is "Reid wears glasses, and they make him play baseball better" Reid this, Reid that. If young people had any idea of what a difference they could (and do!) make on others' lives it would probably scare them. Trust me, I am going to remember sweet Reid when he graduates in May!

I wish the world had more Reids and I hope if there are more like him out there, they will find your precious son. This is weighing heavily on my heart.

We have truly lucked out with the small school my kids go to. (they are only 4 and 6, but still) The kids there of all ages are just so nice. I know we are just lucky, but I am so thankful for it. My little boy has really bad cross eyes and wears pretty thick glasses to correct for them. He was having a really bad day one day with not wanting to wear them and crying a little bit because he didn't want to be different. His teacher went to go get a senior who she knew pretty well (an extremely handsome, popular boy with athletic scholarship offers in baseball and football) and this young man took the contacts he normally wears out, put on his glasses, and came to take my son to the lunchroom where he sat at his own table and ate with him. A four year old and an eighteen year old! This was his idea completely; the teacher just wanted him to talk to him. My boy was in heaven. All I hear now is "Reid wears glasses, and they make him play baseball better" Reid this, Reid that. If young people had any idea of what a difference they could (and do!) make on others' lives it would probably scare them. Trust me, I am going to remember sweet Reid when he graduates in May!

I wish the world had more Reids and I hope if there are more like him out there, they will find your precious son. This is weighing heavily on my heart.
    You clearly have found a gem of a school! I am so happy for you that your children are experiencing such a positive start to their education as it will make a huge difference to them down the road. Kudos to your son's teacher and this terrific teen for handling a sensitive and important issue for your son!

This story is so sad, as is Sparkles post about her son. School can be hell for some kids because of these bullies.

fgg

sparkles - i am heartbroken for your son! what is the school doing to get to the bottom of all of this?

flygirl - it is amazing what just a little attention can do. i hope reid realizes the impact he's had on your son!
    can't post pics because my computer's broken and i'm stupid

mjw
    Elite Member

In January, 11-year-old Michael Morones attempted to take his own life by hanging, which has left him in the hospital with serious brain damage. Although suicidal ideation is a complicated issue with more than one cause, a known factor in Michael’s distress was the bullying he experienced at school.
    Other kids taunted Michael about his love for My Little Pony, calling him gay for liking a TV show that was marketed to girls.
    At the time of my initial article about Michael and subsequent update, Michael was still nonresponsive and heavily sedated.
    Today, we have wonderful and encouraging news!
    Over the last several days, for the first time, Michael has steadily improved. His body is starting to wake up and his brain is very slowly starting to function again. He no longer needs IV medications or sedation.
    There are recent signs of neurological function present in Michael’s body that have not previously existed. As such, the next steps include moving him to a wheelchair. His family attributes his improvement to the outpouring of love and support.
    The doctors still don't know what he will be capable of since his brain has a long way to go, but thanks to each and everyone of you out there sending love, positive thoughts and prayers, Michael is experiencing an evolving miracle of healing.

There is now a new website for the Michael Morones Foundation located at http://www.michaelmorones.org and it is the go-to page for all information about Michael. The page is interactive and includes a place for supporters to comment and upload YouTube videos for Michael.

Great New Update on Michael Morones

more at link

Come on kid, pull through.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

My God, I hope they get their son back mentally.

So sad. I never even heard of suicide at his age.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Sadly, it happens more than you think. We had two suicides at my middle school back in the early 90s.

I hope this boy pulls through and that he is able to have some quality of life.
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by gas_chick View Post
    This really gets me. So sick of boys must like this and girls must like that or something is wrong with you. This poor little guy.
    I know! Raising a son like my Snowflake who loves theater, drama, musicals, etc... I thought I would be in for a lot of this shit. He also loves weird fucking socks.. today, I ordered a pair of Superman socks that has an actual cape hanging off the back of each one. Sometimes he says stuff to me and I tease him. My brother's tease him... I don't know if us teasing him about the way he is has prepared him for dickheads in the real world (I've ALWAYS said that he would never encounter meaner people than US!) or if he's just got a personality that prevents a lot of the teasing, but ... I've had to deal more with teachers being assholes than students.
    Quote Originally Posted by sparkles View Post
    Thank you both so much. Your kind thoughts mean a lot to me. I wish someone had realized what was going on before this poor little boy in the story before it came to this. Adults often don't realize the extent of the emotional damage caused by bullying until it is too late. Even now. People really need to talk to their children about their thoughts as well as their feelings. It can be very surprising and devastating when one realizes the thoughts flying around their heads.
    Oh, Sparkles - your poor little man! I often wonder about the parents of the bullies. What the hell is going on in their homes that they think being mean to other kids is ok?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tati View Post
    This is true, and the prospect of my kids facing bullying is one of my biggest fears. But I also have to say that some kids will keep it buried; the prospect of telling anyone someone is treating you like that is so utterly humiliating that it can be hard to reveal it, even to your parents. For me, it took teachers wondering why I wasn't going to class to bring the whole thing to a head.
    Well, until kiddos learn to lie to us, you can see the hurt and embarassment all over them. I'm no expert on child-rearing but that "open line of communication" is helpful. I hope my kid knows he can come to me about anything. He tells me which girls are rumored to be "sloos" (sluts), which kids are douche bags, which teachers are mean, who has the coolest shoes, etc. I sometimes have to make a concerted effort to REALLY listen because he tells me too much and I just tune him out. And then I'll catch something and say "huh?" and he's all "MOM, I JUST told you this!"...

Ah, I love that. I also love that phrase (from earlier post) "moral cowards"! My dad WOULD have beat the hell out of us for some of this shit you hear about nowadays. We rode the bus with kids who were teased about hygiene and poverty and my dad told us "let me fucking catch ANY one of you doing that and I will beat you until your eyes, ears and noses bleed!" - and he meant it. Now, keep in mind, my family of 8 lived in a converted bus with no running water, etc.. but people didn't tease us about anything... well, one girl tried one day and got an ass whooping and it never happened again.
    Quote Originally Posted by MmeVertigina View Post
    My God, I hope they get their son back mentally.
    I know. That's my thought too. Poor little guy.
    Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Sadly, it happens more than you think. We had two suicides at my middle school back in the early 90s.

I hope this boy pulls through and that he is able to have some quality of life.
    Gosh, I remember a kid killing himself over bad grades...
    gas_chick and Flygirl like this.
    Kill him.
    Kill her.
    Kill It.
    Kill everything... that IS the solution!
    П(•_•)П
    twitchy molests my signature!

Quote Originally Posted by Mel1973 View Post
    I know! Raising a son like my Snowflake who loves theater, drama, musicals, etc... I thought I would be in for a lot of this shit. He also loves weird fucking socks.. today, I ordered a pair of Superman socks that has an actual cape hanging off the back of each one. Sometimes he says stuff to me and I tease him. My brother's tease him... I don't know if us teasing him about the way he is has prepared him for dickheads in the real world (I've ALWAYS said that he would never encounter meaner people than US!) or if he's just got a personality that prevents a lot of the teasing, but ... I've had to deal more with teachers being assholes than students.
    Mel, I love that you purchased those Superman socks! I smiled from ear to ear when I read that! I appreciate your good thoughts for my son and I, too, have experienced more teachers being assholes than students. More adults in general, quite honestly. Kind of explains the fact bullying continues unabated to this day, despite our knowing the damage it causes.

Quote Originally Posted by fgg View Post
    sparkles - i am heartbroken for your son! what is the school doing to get to the bottom of all of this?
    Fgg,

I wish I could say that the school has handled everything to my satisfaction but I cant. They dealt with the bullying in the hall because it was caught on camera. The other two incidents happened in the bathroom so there was no camera. And my son has no idea who the boys were. As for the most recent situation, I received a call from the principal in which she told me she cannot do anything other than tell the boy in question not to hit my son in the groin. But my son will not give me his name. Then she proceeded to berate me for sending long emails-apparently she doesn't have time to read them. Fabulous.

We have pulled my son from the school for half of his 4 credits this semester and are homeschooling him for two of them. I found a tutor last year who is amazing. She is teaching him his math and his global history, while he takes computer programming and English at the school. But even a half day is hard for him. He is depressed and terribly anxious and as a result, I have also slid into a depression. There is not a lot of joy in our home at the moment. I would like to keep him at school in some capacity, as he enjoys being part of a team which competes against other schools in a "jeopardy-like" competition. Last year they came in second provincially. He won "Most valuable player" for his team and I know he secretly loved that. If they can win provincially this year, they could go on to compete nationally. But even though he basically won the game for his team, none of the little bastards would even acknowledge him. I wish you could see him play Jeopardy every night. He just answers question after question on the most bizarre topics. I tried to get him to apply online to compete in the teen tournament but because he has Tourette's and tics a lot, he absolutely refuses.

mjw
    Elite Member

Default Mom of "My Little Pony" fan who attempted suicide speaks out

The mother of an 11-year-old boy who tried to kill himself after classmates taunted him for wearing a My Little Pony backpack has revealed she was planning her son's funeral.

Michael Morones' mother Tiffany found her son at their family home in Raleigh, North Carolina, after the suicide attempt in February.

He had been constantly bullied at school for being a fan of the cartoon and would tell his mother he was tired of being 'ugly and stupid'.

Oxygen to his brain was momentarily cut off after he tried to hang himself and doctors believes he could now be suffering from locked-in-syndrome.

Despite the terrifying experience, his mother reveals he is 'getting better every day'.

Speaking to The Huffington Post, Mrs Morones-Suttle said: 'It's insane to think that we are even here.

'Sometimes our kids think they're strong and they're tough and they can handle everything, but as a parent it's our job to say,
    "You know what, this is something I get to handle for you."'

She admitted her loneliest moment came when she started making arrangements for her son's funeral, but now the family are committed to getting his life back on track.

'He gets a little better every day, but there is still a long road ahead of him.'

But she said it was a constant struggle because she has 'no idea what he is thinking or going through.'

After a visiting a neurlogist last week, she was told her son could be suffering from locked-in syndrome, meaning he struggles to communicate and could be completely paralysed.

Speaking with Michael's stepfather, Shannon Suttle, she described how she would see stories similar to her son's and ask herself: 'How does a child ever feel like that.'

A concert featuring stars such as Sir Ian McKellan and Sir Patrick Stewart was held in New York last night to help raise funds for Michael.

A website set up by his uncle has also helped increase awareness for his tragic story after going viral.

My Little Pony is a TV show about cartoon horses and has its own online forums including My Little Pony Reddit.

But fans of the show say they are being subjected to bullying and harrassment since the forums went viral.

A documentary was recently made called My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic which tells the story of men who are fans of the show and call themselves Bronies.

However, they keep their love for the show a secret for fear of reprisals.

At the time of Michael's suicide attempt, Mrs Morones-Suttle told WTVD: 'He would come home and say mum I'm tired of people being mean to me. That I'm ugly and stupid.

'It breaks my heart that people have no sense of community or respect or boundaries.

More than 5,000 children between the ages of 10 and 14 have attempted suicide in the US so far this year, according to figures.

Source #1, Source #2
    Read more at ONTD: Oh No They Didn't! - Mom of "My Little Pony" fan who attempted suicide speaks out

I fear he's severely brain damaged and will never again be the boy they knew. Here's hoping that's not true and this kid pulls out a miracle.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information