Login to remove the ads!
Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: Mexico fights swine flu with 'pandemic potential'

Did someone say hyiene films of the fifties? You know you did!
    [YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QRB3xDg5pnU[/YOUTUBE]
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Cafferty File: Tell Jack how you really feel Blog Archive - Has swine flu story been overblown? « - Blogs from CNN.com

April 30, 2009
    Has swine flu story been overblown?
    Posted: 04:00 PM ET
    FROM CNN’s Jack Cafferty:

Unless you’ve been hiding under a rock, you have been bombarded with news coverage of the swine flu for several days now. And when the World Health Organization raised its pandemic alert to the second highest level — of 5 — yesterday, the media couldn’t get enough of it. After all, this stuff sells newspapers and gets ratings. But when you take a look at the numbers, it seems like the story might be overblown…

The WHO has confirmed 257 cases of swine flu worldwide. 97 cases in Mexico, with seven deaths. Mexican officials have reported much higher numbers — 2,500 cases and more than 150 deaths — but those numbers haven’t been confirmed. In the U.S., the WHO says there are 109 confirmed cases with 1 death. Out of a population of more than 300 million people, that hardly seems to be cause for alarm.

And scientists who are studying the virus say this strain of influenza doesn’t look as deadly as strains that have caused previous pandemics. In fact, some suggest that the current form of the swine flu virus may not even do as much damage as the regular flu.

More than 13,000 people in the U.S. have died of complications from seasonal flu since January; and it’s expected to continue killing hundreds of people a week. In total, about 36,000 people a year die from the flu in this country; and worldwide, the annual death toll is somewhere between 250,000 and 500,000.

One scientist tells the Los Angeles Times that just because the swine flu is being identified in more countries doesn’t mean it’s spreading especially quickly, saying: “You don’t ever find anything that you don’t look for.”

Here’s my question to you: Has the swine flu story been overblown?

There's at least one case of swine flu in Missouri, now, in Platte County, not that far from the Kansas state line. One of my friends is sick, and she's super paranoid that she's got it, even though she's actually up and around and doing stuff, and was just fine yesterday.

A*O

I think that Govts are happy to allow all this scare mongering and general over-reaction because it takes the public focus off the fallout from the fucked up economy.
    How can you trust anything that bleeds for 3 days every month but doesn't die?

Quote Originally Posted by WhateverLolaWants View Post
    Did someone say hyiene films of the fifties? You know you did!
    Yeeeaaahhhh!!!!

Have another.

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDlPLoiJZcM[/YOUTUBE]
    "Creepy, like when Tom Cruise laughs." - Bloodhound Gang

"I don't know anyone who likes Justin Bieber." - Seth Rogen

For the first time today, we got two confirmed cases in Colorado. I just got a robocall from the superintendant of our school district saying they're on top of the situation and to watch the website for any possible district closures and wait for futher phone calls. Jeez.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

I don't understand how it's been around since March yet it's breaking news NOW!!... I was just there 3 wks ago and it freaks me out that they kept it a secret...
    if it comes in pink... I'll take it!!

And scientists who are studying the virus say this strain of influenza doesn’t look as deadly as strains that have caused previous pandemics. In fact, some suggest that the current form of the swine flu virus may not even do as much damage as the regular flu.

This statement is really irrelevant to whether or not there will be a pandemic.

That's the problem with all of this reporting - none of the "journalists" have cared to explain what pandemic really means. The truth is more mundane and doesn't sell as well as the fear-mongering.

Pandemic refers to how widespread something is, not to it's severity. So, a flu that affects a large portion of the world would be a pandemic, even if the severity is mild and the death tolls are low.

Dear Buddha, please bring me a pony and a plastic rocket...

Mexico: the gift that keeps on giving.
    Santa is an elitist mother fucker -- giving expensive shit to rich kids and nothing to poor kids.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Quote Originally Posted by ManxMouse View Post
    Mexico: the gift that keeps on giving.
    So bad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I forgot... We're all gonna die!!!!!!!!!!!!!11!!!!!!!! So I spoke with my younger sister last night and today, and her future MIL is in the hospital. Yeah, so she was sick with a cold last week and went to go to her car and just sort of collapsed in her yard... blah blah blah, it is not swine flu. She's basically become an episode of House, they're doing a spinal tap... the first thing everyone thought of was the flu, of course.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Q: What are the chances of swine flu developing resistance against Tamiflu and other currently available antiviral drugs ? Do you think that the distribution of Tamiflu and other drugs over the course of the last few years have been a mistake that leaves us less well-prepared in front of the current epidemic ?

A: The chance of swine flu becoming resistant to Tamiflu is very high; last season a high proportion of all circulating H1N1 viruses were resistant to the drug. Remember, the current H1N1 viruses are already resistant to adamantanes. I don’t think distribution of the drugs was a mistake; their use probably saved lives. What is a mistake is not having a deeper arsenal of antiviral drugs. We need to have at least 6 drugs for an effective antiviral approach.
    Swine flu A/Mexico/2009 (H1N1): Questions and answers

Poor swine flu. The bird flu already popped our pandemic pre-panic cherry. We're only half committed to panicking about this one...

"I...I guess I'm worried. Hey, look...a shiney."
    ----------------------------
    There will be times you might leap before you look
    There'll be times you'll like the cover and that's precisely why you'll love the book
    Do it anyway

Now they have cancelled our May Fest and Cinco de Mayo. May Fest! People come from all over the US to see & play.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

Is it in yet?
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Just thought I'd interject that my housekeeper's son was sick a few weeks ago. Like horrible, bed-ridden, hooked-up-to-an-IV-in-the-ER sick. I had no idea but my mom got around to telling me this today. She asked his mom, "So, what do you think of all the swine flu stuff?" and she told her, point blank, "Oh that thing? Yea.. my son had that."

The little shit was around my dog, my brothers, my mom, my house... Have some fucking common sense.

*and no, they don't live in Mexico

Page 11 of 20 FirstFirst ... 789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread Information