Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree62Likes

Thread: Measles outbreak after uni graduation ceremony

It is scary, though. According to the news down here, this strain of the measles seems to be pretty brutal. There are more hospitalizations than they were expecting. Of course, that could just be because so many in the medical community have never seen measles. I'm worried because my kid isn't fully protected yet, as she hasn't had the 2nd vax yet. My doctor recommends it at 5, but we're probably going to get it sooner.

czb

people here are freaking out. some are keeping their kids inside. i guess measles isn't as scary to me as other communicable diseases, like tb or polio.

Ugh, I was just on facebook, and here comes another post about this very topic. I hear this argument all the time, and really need a quick succinct counterpoint. If anyone has one, let me know.

The argument is this: If vaccinations really work, why are children whose parents choose not to vaccinate a threat to those that have received a vaccination shot?

In my opinion, the threat comes from the unvaccinated parents selfishly relying on "herd immunity", because not every child can even be vaccinated. when their kid does get measles, it can still be passed to some vaccinated people because nothing is 100%. There has to be a better way to explain why this is not logical thinking.

eta:

Also, could it be that when the unvaccinated does acquire one of the diseases say, measles, that it gives the disease a new opportunity to spread and thus mutate, and in that fashion could very well pose a threat to vaccinated people. Does this make sense?

Quote Originally Posted by czb View Post
    now there are two documented measles cases in marin (north of SF) ....

Two measles cases confirmed in Marin Wednesday - Marin Independent Journal

there is currently a movement underway to prohibit unvaxxed kids from attending schools if there is a measles outbreak. will be interesting to see if that gets any traction....
    And now my idiot antivaxxer friend in Marin is posting articles from crazy sites on FB. Test of my self-control for sure. She's neurotic and paranoid and nothing will ever convince her that vaccines don't kill far more people than diseases do, that measles is a "mild" disease, and that vitamins A and C cure measures, sure they do!

Likewise, she refuses to believe that any issues her son has aren't due to the epidural she received after more than 48 hours of painful labor. Those 48 hours of her stubbornly refusing to even go to the hospital due to her absolute passion for home water birthing had NOTHING to do with his problems down the line, nope. Neither, of course, did her angry relationship with and bitter divorce from his father.

People drive me nuts. I give up.

Here's the article she posted, if you feel like trolling some truly obstinate PITAs. It's sneaky because it looks well-sourced but the links do not lead to what they (often sensationalistically) claim, and the further you dig the more things fall apart.

This site pretty much hates and fears most everything, even coffeemakers. (I thought that particular article was a joke but no.) I felt like spending hours picking the article apart and so forth....but it's just not worth the time to me. As someone else here said, these people will never change their thinking--unless maybe someone near and dear to them dies of measles. Probably not even then, though.

Measles and Measles Vaccines: 14 Things To Consider | GreenMedInfo
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

czb

i can't believe i read that. the stupid, it hurts.

sucking on a blow pop and playing with electrodes

That's so sad if the child was injure during the birth process. I had a planned home birth and it was well understood that we would immediately go the hospital as soon as any complications arise, 48 hours in actual painful hard labor is just insane to not take any action.
    Clubber Lang likes this.
    KILLING ME WON'T BRING BACK YOUR GOD DAMNED HONEY!!!!!!!!!!

Come on, let's have lots of drinks.

Fuck you all, I'm going viral.

Reading stuff like this is mind boggling. The doctor quoted in this article is a cardiologist practicing medicine in Arizona. He refuses to vaccinate his kids and believe that families with children with compromised immune systems should stay home. He also seems to believe that the family in the article, with a child with leukemia, likely got leukemia from the vaccinations. This doctors uncaring and cavalier attitude is down right frightening, considering he's a physician.

Arizona measles exposure worries parents of at-risk kids - CNN.com

A*O

I do worry about some of the nut job docs we entrust our lives with. My mothers GP is generally quite good but she does have a tendency to recommend extra vitamins, supplements, naturopathic remedies and yoga instead of good old fashioned penicillin when necessary. She also failed to spot my late father's stage 4 bowel cancer but that's another story.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by KrisNine View Post
    Reading stuff like this is mind boggling. The doctor quoted in this article is a cardiologist practicing medicine in Arizona. He refuses to vaccinate his kids and believe that families with children with compromised immune systems should stay home. He also seems to believe that the family in the article, with a child with leukemia, likely got leukemia from the vaccinations. This doctors uncaring and cavalier attitude is down right frightening, considering he's a physician.

Arizona measles exposure worries parents of at-risk kids - CNN.com
    Wow, do yourself a favor and do not google the name of this cardiologist. His quotes will drive you bonkers with justifiable anger.
    Just Kill Me likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Wow, do yourself a favor and do not google the name of this cardiologist. His quotes will drive you bonkers with justifiable anger.
    Of course, I'm off to Google.

eta - holy shit! This guy is a stark, raving lunatic. Anyone who takes this guy seriously needs to have their heads examined.
    Last edited by KrisNine; February 1st, 2015 at 11:06 PM.

One baby that is too young to be vaccinated has measles. The baby was at a daycare facility in Santa Monica, where at least 14 other babies have been exposed. Several are also too young to be vaccinated. Very scary.

A*O

The point these loons don't get is that if the general population was vaccinated the disease wouldn't be around in the first place to infect infants still too young to be vaccinated.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

fucking loons. make it mandatory with exceptions only for health reasons, not religious. your religious "freedoms" shouldn't affect the health and wellbeing of the entire population, so fuck you and get your kids vaccinated. end of story.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

JFC!

Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders' - NBC News
    Rand Paul: Vaccines Can Lead to 'Mental Disorders'

Republican Sen. Rand Paul is standing by his statement that most vaccinations should be "voluntary," telling CNBC that a parent's choice not to vaccinate a child is "an issue of freedom."

In an interview with the network Monday, Paul said that vaccines are "a good thing" but that parents "should have some input" into whether or not their children must get them.

And he gave credence to the idea - disputed by the majority of the scientific community - that vaccination can lead to mental disabilities.

"I have heard of many tragic cases of walking, talking normal children who wound up with profound mental disorders after vaccines," he said.

Paul's comments came the same day that Gov. Chris Christie said that parents should have "a measure of choice" in whether children are vaccinated. The New Jersey governor, who -- like Paul -- is considering a 2016 run, later issued a statement clarifying that he believes that "there is no question" that children should be vaccinated for diseases like measles.

Earlier Monday, Paul said on Laura Ingraham's radio show that "most" vaccines should be voluntary.

- Carrie Dann

Thank God for Hillary and common sense:

Hillary Clinton ✔ @HillaryClinton

The science is clear: The earth is round, the sky is blue, and #vaccineswork. Let's protect all our kids. #GrandmothersKnowBest
    10:45 PM - 2 Feb 2015

20,307 Retweets 18,985 favorites
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

^^Well, alright Hillary.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information