Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Like Tree145Likes

Thread: Martin Shkreli is a douche

I don't understand his logic. If people were paying $13 but now can't afford to pay $750, how does he expect to turn a profit? If his drugs aren't keeping people alive he's going to run out of paying customers.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Honestly, I had no idea something like this could happen, I thought once a drug went generic, the patent period (or whatever they call it) is over and it can be produced by other drug companies. And the reason for high prices in the beginning is to allow the original company to recoup their research costs in developing the drug.

Why in the hell is someone allowed to then buy up the rights and essentially extort money from dying people? "Hey buddy, what's it worth to you to live a little longer? $1,000 is chump change, you're gonna have to cough up more than that!"

The mind boggles.
    Clubber Lang and Nevan like this.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

I can't think about this too much as my blood begins to boil and I may go blind with rage, but that is what I thought to, Trixie. There is really something wrong with the laws if they are allowed to do this with a 62-year-old drug.

He can jack the price but then He can be sued too. I worked on a case like this back in 02 or 03 and we won. We repped a few hundred small self insured businesses through BCBS. Basically an antipsychotic that had been about $3 a pill for twenty years and then one pharmaceutical company went to Europe and made some shady deals to monopolize the raw materials and then jacked up the price once no competitors could make the drug anymore. I was furious because the potential catastrophe of thousands upon thousands of people suddenly going off these meds could have been disastrous with multiple fatalities from homicide or suicide. But we only got them on the monopoly and price gouging.
    I wish I could remember the pharma name so I could look it up and get more details.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

czb

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Honestly, I had no idea something like this could happen, I thought once a drug went generic, the patent period (or whatever they call it) is over and it can be produced by other drug companies. And the reason for high prices in the beginning is to allow the original company to recoup their research costs in developing the drug.

Why in the hell is someone allowed to then buy up the rights and essentially extort money from dying people? "Hey buddy, what's it worth to you to live a little longer? $1,000 is chump change, you're gonna have to cough up more than that!"

The mind boggles.
    because the drug is generic, competitors CAN create a new drug with the same efficacy and safety. BUT they need the actual drug created by the Tool's company to do it. the FDA requires clinical studies where the new drug is compared to the old drug in order to show the new drug works. but Tool is controlling the supply so not sure how a new company would be able to do new studies.

that's what pisses me off, aside from the fact that Tool has jacked up the price so that most people wouldn't be able to buy the drug. and his attitude. can't stand people like him.
    Trixie likes this.

He looks like a lizard. Are we sure he's even human?
    Kittylady and LaFolie like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

^^^ Like the real-life version of Scott Evil.

wow, does he look smug. I totally see the lizard.
    "His suits are cheaply made because he makes them in other countries, taking jobs away from good, hard-working Americans."...Bevy Smith on Donald Trump

Totally punchable face.
    holly likes this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

He's an evil bastard

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    Stuff like this has got to be one of the reasons why health insurance costs keep going through the roof.
    Ya think? Insurance will deny it and stop covering the drug, to save the price increase. Now let's get a mandate (law) that says insurance HAS to pay for it. Everyone will cheer that the people defeated the insurance company. All of our rates go up to cover it. Meanwhile, this dude gets richer.

Drug prices have been skyrocketing for years. Most medical costs in fact. Although this jerk weasal takes the douche cake with his blatant, shameless greed.

Quote Originally Posted by faithanne View Post
    I don't understand his logic. If people were paying $13 but now can't afford to pay $750, how does he expect to turn a profit? If his drugs aren't keeping people alive he's going to run out of paying customers.
    Insurance will cover it for a time (while they scramble to amend coverage policies to exclude it). Medicare will too. The wealthy will pay it. The poor will scrounge up some portion of it or go bankrupt trying ... it's life saving. People will mortgage their houses to live.
    if you're so incensed that you can't fly your penis in public take it up with your state, arrange a nude protest, go and be the rosa parks of cocks or something - witchcurlgirl

More like stabbable.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    He can jack the price but then He can be sued too. I worked on a case like this back in 02 or 03 and we won. We repped a few hundred small self insured businesses through BCBS. Basically an antipsychotic that had been about $3 a pill for twenty years and then one pharmaceutical company went to Europe and made some shady deals to monopolize the raw materials and then jacked up the price once no competitors could make the drug anymore. I was furious because the potential catastrophe of thousands upon thousands of people suddenly going off these meds could have been disastrous with multiple fatalities from homicide or suicide. But we only got them on the monopoly and price gouging.

I wish I could remember the pharma name so I could look it up and get more details.
    Ha, I found it. Apparently the case was still ongoing after we won the initial case.

This is a safe pdf. https://www.crowell.com/pdf/managedc...Litigation.pdf
    Just Kill Me likes this.

They money is in the medicine, but this has gone way too far. Shame on him. Greed will get him some time soon. It doesn't look good for him.
    "Fashion is an art, but individuality is the key"

Even PMK is shaking her head saying "Damn, that's greedy."
    Clubber Lang and holly like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

czb

looks like Mr Charm is doing a reversal .....

https://news.vice.com/article/pharma...rce=vicenewsfb
    Pharmaceutical Company CEO Defends 5,000% Price Hike of Drug on Twitter

By Olivia Becker

September 21, 2015 | 1:50 pmUPDATE: Turing Pharmaceuticals has reportedly said it will lower the cost of its drug Daraprim following public backlash over the 5,000 percent price hike.
    The 32-year-old CEO and founder of a pharmaceutical startup took to Twitter to staunchly defend himself from a barrage of criticism after it was revealed that his company had raised the price of a common medication by 5,000 percent.
    Immediately after Turing Pharmaceuticals acquired the rights to the drug Daraprim, a common anti-parasitic drug that is used to prevent malaria and fight infections like toxoplasmosis that can arise from AIDS and cancer, the company hiked the price up from $13.50 to $750 per pill. The company and its CEO Martin Shkreli quickly became the subject of a furious backlash.
    Related: This Is How Drug Companies Jack Up Their Prices and Hurt Patients
    Shkreli not only seemed unbothered by the outcry, he appears to be actively enjoying the attention online. Take his reply to one exchange in which he was asked how he manages to sleep at night:

In another response, Shkreli said it was not his fault if people who needed the drug could no longer afford it. He also quoted a lyric from the rapper Eminem about his feelings toward the media. He tweeted more than 125 responses to people calling him out online on Monday after the price increase gained traction over the weekend, noted Tech Crunch, but later deleted many of them.

— Martin Shkreli (@MartinShkreli) September 21, 2015
    Shkreli also defended his company's price hike on Bloomberg TV on Monday, insisting that his company "needed to turn a profit on the drug" despite the pill costing less than a dollar to manufacture.
    "Its still underpriced compared to its peers," Shkreli added.
    A former hedge-fund manager, Shkreli has come under scrutiny in the past for accusations that he attempted to illegally manipulate the prices of drugs made by companies whose stock he was shorting.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information