Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha View Post
    Remind me again why people should give a fuck about the Thatcher family's widdle feewings? Did THEY give a fuck about all those families their matriarch destroyed with nary a twinge of conscience? I'm sure they are consoled by the epic myth-making going on in the media which is fucktons louder than the dissenters. Let the people have their malicious glee at the death of this horrible woman. They deserve the pleasure of a good Snatcher rant a helluva lot more than her corpse deserves the tongue baths it's been getting.
    Her daughter Carol disagreed with her mother's policies and didn't pay it for along time

"In 1991 Carol refused to pay her poll tax, the controversial tax introduced by her mother. When asked by journalists what her mother would say, Carol replied: "Mum won't give a shit""

Her son Mark is just a total greedy bastard who has had his pockets lined by the deals that his mommy did with her friends on his behalf.

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    @ Novice. I always read what you have to say and 99% of,the time I agree with you but on this one I don't. Having lived and worked in Thatcher era UK I think Im qualified to at least have an opinion even if nobody else agrees with it. But then again I'm GRs token Tory so naturally I'm therefore a cunt too. Whatever.
    I am sorry that my passion may have come across as rudeness, I agree that we don't always agree but that I find your points interesting. I was trying to get across that yes, her policies and actions twenty years ago are still effecting the British economy. You are right that she isn't responsible for the banking-ciusterfuck, but without the manufacturing industries that we used to have we have very little GNP to help us work Britain out of the 3rd recession since 2010 (or is that actually supposed to be 2008?).

I wish that I could show you the drive into Sheffield when I was a kid to how it had changed when I was in my late teens (10 years). From what I can gather there were more than 400 arces of steel sites, and now there is practically nothing. Sheffield is still having issues.

I was listening to the news and wanted to share this with you as I think that it informs the discrepancies in opinions
    Michael Meacher, the Labour former minister, spoke earlier. (See 4.22pm.) Here are some direct quotes from his speech.

Mrs Thatcher was a very different kind of leader. She was someone who took the fight to her opponents, who deployed a scorched earth policy to destroy them, which polarised the country, which is why even today she is lionised in the south, as we have heard repeatedly this afternoon, but remembered with a very different memorial in the north.

Dominance should always have a concern for the victims of radical change. One should never destroy without building up again and too many industries, too many working-class communities across the north were laid waste over those years without any alternative and better future being constructed to replace what had been lost.

And many of those are still decimated today. In Oldham, the textiles industry was wiped out and whole swathes of the country's finest engineering companies were simply swept away. Yes, I think [Labour] agrees, that change, even painful change, is often necessary.
    But it should not be bought at the price of the tripling of unemployment, the tripling of child poverty, and the rise of an unacceptable increase in inequality, which is still with us today.

I totally agree that celebrating someone's death with street parties (like the ones of Bin Laden) revolt me, especially as a friend's BFF is terminal. I do agree that she will be remembered very differently by different parts of the country.

And now... I heard this today....

Margaret Thatcher has only been in Hell 3 days and she has already shut 5 furnaces.
    Free Charmed.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Funny, I lived thru Reagan and Nixon administrations and I don't remember celebrating their deaths. You may not have liked someone while they were in office, but I don't get partying because they died. it's sad for their families.
    I don't remember people publicly partying over those deaths either, and with Reagan's full state funeral, I would have expected more protests at least.

Quote Originally Posted by Novice View Post
    Her daughter Carol disagreed with her mother's policies and didn't pay it for along time

"In 1991 Carol refused to pay her poll tax, the controversial tax introduced by her mother. When asked by journalists what her mother would say, Carol replied: "Mum won't give a shit""

Her son Mark is just a total greedy bastard who has had his pockets lined by the deals that his mommy did with her friends on his behalf.

I am sorry that my passion may have come across as rudeness, I agree that we don't always agree but that I find your points interesting. I was trying to get across that yes, her policies and actions twenty years ago are still effecting the British economy. You are right that she isn't responsible for the banking-ciusterfuck, but without the manufacturing industries that we used to have we have very little GNP to help us work Britain out of the 3rd recession since 2010 (or is that actually supposed to be 2008?).

I wish that I could show you the drive into Sheffield when I was a kid to how it had changed when I was in my late teens (10 years). From what I can gather there were more than 400 arces of steel sites, and now there is practically nothing. Sheffield is still having issues.

I was listening to the news and wanted to share this with you as I think that it informs the discrepancies in opinions
    [/INDENT]I totally agree that celebrating someone's death with street parties (like the ones of Bin Laden) revolt me, especially as a friend's BFF is terminal. I do agree that she will be remembered very differently by different parts of the country.

And now... I heard this today....

Margaret Thatcher has only been in Hell 3 days and she has already shut 5 furnaces.
    I agree about what you said about the celebrations, I kept thinking about the people dancing in the streets over Osama bin Laden, and I found it sick. I hated him as much as anyone possibly could, but partying in the streets just didn't sit right with me. I understand why people do it, and I'm not judging them, it's just not how I deal with this sort of thing. However, the jokes that have been posted have made me laugh.

I've enjoyed this thread, like I said, Thatcher was a very polarizing personality and I've liked reading everyone's comments (pro and con both). I could read a ton of books about Thatcher, or google the hell out of her, but for me it's way more fascinating to hear from people who were close to the situation, or at least following it more closely than I was at the time it was all happening.
    Novice, greysfang and Callalily like this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

A*O

She certainly did polarise the mostly blue collar North and white collar South and some of the wounds are clearly still very raw, but she was the 3-times elected Prime Minister of Great Britain and I think that office deserves respect even if peope dislike the person holding it. I find the celebratory mob mentality over her death really tacky and sinister and have no doubt her funeral will be used as an excuse for a Poll Tax riot reunion by a bunch of old punks and anarchists, and younger people who weren't even born in the 80s and don't remember or understand what happened. They just want a handy excuse to kick a policeman.

And now I will STFU about it. Yay.
    Novice, Sarzy, Waterslide and 2 others like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Ya see - I agree with most of that post A*O!!!

And you just know that those "anarchists" are signing on....
    Last edited by Novice; April 11th, 2013 at 02:28 AM.
    Free Charmed.

Yeah most of the people I saw in the photos of the street parties/riots were too young to have even been born when she was in power. Any excuse to smash things up and act like a twat, eh?

I disagree that her office deserves respect. I equate this woman with Dubya, just despicable and a disgrace to their offices. Now I'm not one to party in the streets over her death either, but I'm not going to disparage the people who are greeting the news that way either. I think they've more than earned their gloat.
    Seth82, faithanne and Callalily like this.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I disagree that her office deserves respect.
    Same. We had a Governor General who was one of the most despised figures ever for sacking the popularly elected government back in the 70s. There was much rejoicing when he eventually died, but there were still the old farts squawking that people should show respect because of the office he held. Fuck that, he was an old cunt.

And when former PM John Howard dies I won't shed a tear either.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    But then again I'm GRs token Tory so naturally I'm therefore a cunt too. Whatever.
    Oh please. We don't think you're a cunt because you're a Tory. We know you're one because you post here.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Quote Originally Posted by greysfang View Post
    I disagree that her office deserves respect. I equate this woman with Dubya, just despicable and a disgrace to their offices. Now I'm not one to party in the streets over her death either, but I'm not going to disparage the people who are greeting the news that way either. I think they've more than earned their gloat.
    If the shits weren't the arseholes that live to fiddle the welfare system I might agree with you but it's the usual suspects (IMO), the ones that contribute nothing and live to tear everything down.
    The office of Prime Minister merits respect, however (IMO) Maggie Thatcher doesn't, for the reasons given.
    Although her policies have had a lasting effect, instead of street parties a much more effective way to celebrate her passing would be to actually do something to change the things that she did to our society. After all she is the one that practically invented the welfare culture & that its meritous not only not to work but to fiddle the system.
    Free Charmed.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    i hear her final wish was to be cremated. unfortunately, there's no coal left.
    You bitch! I just squirted coffee out my nose cos I was laughing so hard!

I'm glad but not tapdancing about the old bitch being dead and Novice is right, the repercussions of the policies she put in place are still being felt in many places, particularly those that were industrial. You can't throw at a stone at the born and bred families around here without hitting someone whose family was involved in the mining industry somehow. My grandad was a miner, as were all his brothers and his sisters worked 'up top'. MY OH's grandad was a miner and his son, my OH's dad, worked for the coal board and my OH was considering doing the same for a time. We had three major industries keeping this town prosperous and growing and thanks to dear old Maggie and her policies we lost them all, one by one. What is left of our pride is looking pretty shabby these days (although that same pride rarely lets us admit it).

And Novice brought up a very good point about the sale of council homes - they were sold off individually to tenants and in chunks to private developers who have flattened them (and we still have areas that are empty dumps years and years later that still haven't been built on) and the vast majority haven't been replaced. Now with the housing shortage and bedroom tax we're getting fucked in the arse again because there are people under occupying, who can't get jobs and can't move to anywhere smaller because there isn't anywhere to move to. One bedroom properties around here come available with the same frequency as a rocking horse shits, two bedrooms are here and there but mostly private rentals, much more expensive and will still get you hit by the bedroom tax if you are a single person or a couple without children/children living at home.
    Novice likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I was just listening to the news in Hull they need 1500 single bedroom homes, there are 70 available. Yep, SEVENTY.
    Free Charmed.

But think of all the family homes they'll free up when they evict all those people who run up rent arrears as a result of being forced to under occupy!
    Novice likes this.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Yeah, it just stinks.
    When people are evicted it'll cost councils more to emergency rehouse them (in rundown health hazard b&bs) than it would to pay the extra £ for the extra room.
    Nice that our wanky Tory govt has thought through all the repercussions of this action... As usual.
    Free Charmed.

A*O

This bedroom tax is crazy. I know it must be frustrating to see single people, widows, etc living in a 3-bed house/flat when there are families on the waiting list. Is the "thinking" behind this a hope that tenants with a spare room will take in a paying lodger to cover the higher rent, or is this really an attempt to evict singles to make way for immigrant families, some of them very large.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

But the problem is that anyone taking in a lodger will be hit by higher charges and if you are in receipt of housing benefit you won't get the full cost of what the tenants/owners want to charge you so you are still taking a loss. Also anyone in employment but underoccupying isn't affected by this, so the only people being hit hard by this are those who are unemployed. There are people who are working and want somewhere smaller but can't get a move because of the lack of availability, even though they are often given preference (several of the smaller properties advertised specify that preference will be given to employed people), so again those with the most to lose are being the hardest hit. Then there is all the fun and games that come with trying to prove that you aren't cohabiting as a couple if you are sharing in a mixed sex household... How many people are going to continue a sublet when their roomie suddenly has their money stopped for weeks to months while they try and prove that they aren't trying to pull a fast one? This is going to be a huge clusterfuck.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread Information