Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
Like Tree117Likes

Thread: Margaret Thatcher Is Dead

In my opinion she was responsible for so much misery and death that I can't fault people for doing it. I'm with Kitty 100%. My grandparents on one side are from a mining town in the north of England, and others in my family are from the old industrial areas in Scotland, and as Kitty says Thatcher's legacy is still palpable in these communities today. The poverty she caused is still prevalent today, 20 odd years after she was in power.

There'll be a few glasses raised in Methil, Linwood, Bathgate and Irvine tonight.

scarlett and Kathie_Moffett like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I wasn't a fan and can understand why she was disliked by so many, but I still think it's kind of shitty to celebrate the death of an old woman.
    I agree. I could understand if she were still in power and people felt her death meant the end of some awful policies, but she's been out of office for a couple decades. I don't expect anyone to be sad, but celebrating is a bit much.
    Sarzy likes this.

Good riddance to an evil woman, I hope they don't do any official mourning or marks of respect because she doesn't deserve it.
    BITTER and Sasha like this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    My fellow 1982 Scorpion! Never occurred to me that penises go into ears until your twitpics
    @NickoMoralesXXX
    @Sexy_Seth_1982 awe sexy! You're just too cute to be true- I can't take my eyes off of you-

Silver Member

good riddance

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    I wasn't a fan and can understand why she was disliked by so many, but I still think it's kind of shitty to celebrate the death of an old woman.
    Nothing to do with either age or gender. It's about who she was and what she did.
    Kittylady, Karistiona and Sasha like this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

"The government is considering spending £3million on a state funeral for Margaret Thatcher when she dies. For £3million they could buy everyone in Scotland a shovel and we'll dig a hole deep enough to deliver her to Satan himself." - Frankie Boyle
    Sasha likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My OH has already said that if they do a public holiday/state funeral he'll still go into work. He hated her so much that he won't even accept a day off because of her.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    I'm an 80's kid too. I remember seeing the kids I went to school with getting thinner and more ragged. I remember the soup kitchens for the miners families. I remember seeing family after family losing their home and everything they'd ever worked for as the mines and other industries were closed down thanks to Maggie's 'reforms'. I remember watching what little honest pride the people of this town had be ground away. I've watched the thriving town that I was born in crumble from being somewhere that you could live and work slide down the pan as everything was taken from us bit by bit by her legacy and become nothing more than a collection of Everything £1 shops and bars.

You won't find many around here who have a good word to say about her. Most wouldn't have pissed on her if she was on fire.
    I'm sorry to hear how you suffered. Being in the US, we didn't have the BBC back then showing world news. We got a totally different view of her here. We got that she was powerful, but didn't get to see everyday of what that did to you guys.
    Kathie_Moffett likes this.

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette

The dictate that one 'not speak ill of the dead' is (at best) appropriate for private individuals, not influential public figures

News of Margaret Thatcher's death this morning instantly and predictably gave rise to righteous sermons on the evils of speaking ill of her. British Labour MP Tom Watson decreed: "I hope that people on the left of politics respect a family in grief today." Following in the footsteps of Santa Claus, Steve Hynd quickly compiled a list of all the naughty boys and girls "on the left" who dared to express criticisms of the dearly departed Prime Minister, warning that he "will continue to add to this list throughout the day". Former Tory MP Louise Mensch, with no apparent sense of irony, invoked precepts of propriety to announce: "Pygmies of the left so predictably embarrassing yourselves, know this: not a one of your leaders will ever be globally mourned like her."

This demand for respectful silence in the wake of a public figure's death is not just misguided but dangerous. That one should not speak ill of the dead is arguably appropriate when a private person dies, but it is wildly inappropriate for the death of a controversial public figure, particularly one who wielded significant influence and political power. "Respecting the grief" of Thatcher's family members is appropriate if one is friends with them or attends a wake they organize, but the protocols are fundamentally different when it comes to public discourse about the person's life and political acts. I made this argument at length last year when Christopher Hitchens died and a speak-no-ill rule about him was instantly imposed (a rule he, more than anyone, viciously violated), and I won't repeat that argument today; those interested can read my reasoning here.

But the key point is this: those who admire the deceased public figure (and their politics) aren't silent at all. They are aggressively exploiting the emotions generated by the person's death to create hagiography. Typifying these highly dubious claims about Thatcher was this (appropriately diplomatic) statement from President Obama: "The world has lost one of the great champions of freedom and liberty, and America has lost a true friend." Those gushing depictions can be quite consequential, as it was for the week-long tidal wave of unbroken reverence that was heaped on Ronald Reagan upon his death, an episode that to this day shapes how Americans view him and the political ideas he symbolized. Demanding that no criticisms be voiced to counter that hagiography is to enable false history and a propagandistic whitewashing of bad acts, distortions that become quickly ossified and then endure by virtue of no opposition and the powerful emotions created by death. When a political leader dies, it is irresponsible in the extreme to demand that only praise be permitted but not criticisms.

Whatever else may be true of her, Thatcher engaged in incredibly consequential acts that affected millions of people around the world. She played a key role not only in bringing about the first Gulf War but also using her influence to publicly advocate for the 2003 attack on Iraq. She denounced Nelson Mandela and his ANC as "terrorists", something even David Cameron ultimately admitted was wrong. She was a steadfast friend to brutal tyrants such as Augusto Pinochet, Saddam Hussein and Indonesian dictator General Suharto ("One of our very best and most valuable friends"). And as my Guardian colleague Seumas Milne detailed last year, "across Britain Thatcher is still hated for the damage she inflicted – and for her political legacy of rampant inequality and greed, privatisation and social breakdown."

To demand that all of that be ignored in the face of one-sided requiems to her nobility and greatness is a bit bullying and tyrannical, not to mention warped. As David Wearing put it this morning in satirizing these speak-no-ill-of-the-deceased moralists: "People praising Thatcher's legacy should show some respect for her victims. Tasteless." Tellingly, few people have trouble understanding the need for balanced commentary when the political leaders disliked by the west pass away. Here, for instance, was what the Guardian reported upon the death last month of Hugo Chavez:

To the millions who detested him as a thug and charlatan, it will be occasion to bid, vocally or discreetly, good riddance."

Nobody, at least that I know of, objected to that observation on the ground that it was disrespectful to the ability of the Chavez family to mourn in peace. Any such objections would have been invalid. It was perfectly justified to note that, particularly as the Guardian also explained that "to the millions who revered him – a third of the country, according to some polls – a messiah has fallen, and their grief will be visceral." Chavez was indeed a divisive and controversial figure, and it would have been reckless to conceal that fact out of some misplaced deference to the grief of his family and supporters. He was a political and historical figure and the need to accurately portray his legacy and prevent misleading hagiography easily outweighed precepts of death etiquette that prevail when a private person dies.

Exactly the same is true of Thatcher. There's something distinctively creepy - in a Roman sort of way - about this mandated ritual that our political leaders must be heralded and consecrated as saints upon death. This is accomplished by this baseless moral precept that it is gauche or worse to balance the gushing praise for them upon death with valid criticisms. There is absolutely nothing wrong with loathing Margaret Thatcher or any other person with political influence and power based upon perceived bad acts, and that doesn't change simply because they die. If anything, it becomes more compelling to commemorate those bad acts upon death as the only antidote against a society erecting a false and jingoistically self-serving history.

Margaret Thatcher and misapplied death etiquette | Glenn Greenwald | Comment is free | guardian.co.uk
    Sasha likes this.
    All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

This entire thread has been really interesting to me.

Quote Originally Posted by darksithbunny View Post
    I'm sorry to hear how you suffered. Being in the US, we didn't have the BBC back then showing world news. We got a totally different view of her here. We got that she was powerful, but didn't get to see everyday of what that did to you guys.
    This is actually true. Thatcher was portrayed here very differently than she was in England. I don't remember everything from the time period, but I don't think what she was doing in the UK was actually presented to us here in the mainstream media. I knew people didn't like her, but didn't realize until I was older why and to what extent. A lot of Americans have a sort of fondness for her, while anyone I've ever met from the UK and even Canada will barely even speak her name.

The last article posted was a good read, too.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

I don't think Thatcher was portrayed differently here. I just think a lot of Americans support what she did, just as they did her asshole buddy Reagan, who is like a right wing god.

The H-Blockers, coal miners, the poll tax, the milk thing, the unions, etc, is what I remember hearing about Thatcher in her time. I seem to have always been aware of exactly what she was.

I agree, that Americans flat out supported her actions as far as how it related to the US at the time. I can't say if the majority cared about what was happening in Great Britain, but unfortunately I figure more than a few people found it easier to turn a blind eye to what she was doing when it wasn't happening to them in their country.
    darksithbunny likes this.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Silver Member

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    News of Margaret Thatcher's death this morning instantly and predictably gave rise to righteous sermons on the evils of speaking ill of her. British Labour MP Tom Watson decreed: "I hope that people on the left of politics respect a family in grief today."
    normally i would agree however i came from a community, a small town in central scotland that relied a lot on the mines which she destroyed, one of my earliest memories would be during the miners strike seeing them line up at the picket fence from my primary school ages about 5/6, luckily for me my family wasnt a mining one but i had a lot of friends at schools whos familys were directly affected and the whole area struggled to recover... she shat on scotland like it was scum.....i wouldnt say i hate a lot of people but she was definately one i hated and whilst she will be in the thoughts of her family, i spare a thought tonight for all the families she ruined over the course of her being in power
    Kathie_Moffett and Novice like this.

Elite Member

Bullshit Americans didn't know. You couldn't go to a concert by any British artist in the '80s without insults being flung at Thatcher. Her history of union busting and poverty creation WAS reported because I saw it back then.

It's just that Americans at the time only cared about erasing the Vietnam War with the talents of a Hollywood actor in charge. Britain and Reagan's poodle simply didn't matter.
    Sasha likes this.
    CHILLY FREE!
    i have to zero the contain to your level -bugdoll
    you can't even be ogirinal - Mary

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread Information