Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree20Likes

Thread: Man Swallowed by Sinkhole in Florida

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    It's apparently my cross to bear. Or is it bare?
    It's bear.

Bare means nekkid.

Lol I know bare means nekkid, I was being facetious. But thanks!
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

I saw a clip of this guy's brother on CNN. His brother heard him call out for him, then he ran into the room and tried to dig his brother out. That poor man is going to feel guilty forever. Its heartbreaking.
    FUCK YOU AND GIVE ME MY GODDAMN VENTI TWO PUMP LIGHT WHIP MOCHA YOU COCKSUCKING WHORE BEFORE I PUNCH YOU IN THE MOUTH. I just get unpleasant in my car. - Deej

http://www.gossiprocks.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic4098_9.gif Healthy is merely the slowest possible rate at which one can die.

o.O Shellee, get your highway flashing arse over to Australia right now! Fucking sinkholes? Fuck Florida; all Australia has is bogans and the occasional spider!

Fucking sinkholes, man. Unless they're opening up under Casey Anthony's feet, it's just too fucking much.
    Bluebonnet likes this.
    What do we want?
    EVIDENCE BASED SCIENCE
    When do we want it?
    AFTER PEER REVIEW

Quote Originally Posted by Kat Scorp View Post
    o.O Shellee, get your highway flashing arse over to Australia right now! Fucking sinkholes? Fuck Florida; all Australia has is bogans and the occasional spider!

Fucking sinkholes, man. Unless they're opening up under Casey Anthony's feet, it's just too fucking much.
    I would love to come over!
    Kat Scorp likes this.
    See, Whores, we are good for something. Love, Florida
    #fingersinthebootyassbitch

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    I would love to come over!
    My SIL just sent a message last night that the sinkhole is about 5 minutes from their house. They live in Seffner. They have a really nice, and large, one-story stucco house, and we love staying there. Now, they have to worry about giant sinkholes and those snails that eat your stucco and carry meningitis....

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    A 36-year-old Florida man was feared dead on Friday after a sinkhole suddenly opened beneath the bedroom of his suburban Tampa home swallowing him, police and fire officials said.
    That is SO Buffy!
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluebonnet View Post
    Rescue efforts were suspended on Friday over concerns about the house's stability, Rogers said.
    "Right now we're trying to determine what if anything we can do. This is a very difficult situation. It's beneath our feet. We can't see anything," he said.
    Additional reporting by David Adams and Tom Brown.

Florida man swallowed by sinkhole feared dead
    Doesn't he mean that they are in over their heads?
    Kat Scorp likes this.
    Free Charmed.

They were explaining Florida has so many sinkholes because of sany soil on top of clay and something something underground rivers that shift course. No one can predict this or fix it. Scary.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

The Huffington Post has a story on it today (Killer Sinkholes: Unexpected Holes Swallow Entire Families, Cars And Homes (PHOTOS)). Some of the sinkholes can be explained by construction or excavation/mining work being done nearby. It looks like digging one giant hole in the ground can create a void where the sandy, loose material underground can start flowing into.

Aaaand this is why Florida doesn't have basements.

^^I remember my friends were putting in their pool and it was a nightmare. Coral rock, loose sand and water. I think the elevation was 1.

Quote Originally Posted by Waterslide View Post
    Jesus Christ, that is a nightmare. That poor man and his family.
    It's like a nightmare of Biblical Old Testament proportions!

"And the Lord spaketh and the ground opened up and swallowed the man."

stef likes this.

I feel so bad for the guy's brother, how traumatic must that have been for him? It's just dreadful, poor man. Imagine the horror of the floor just opening up and disappearing.
    Bluebonnet and McJag like this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Florida sinkhole home to be removed

AP Photo: Chris O'Meara. Florida sinkhole home demolition: Experts watch as the Seffner, Fla., home of Jeff Bush is destroyed on Sunday after a sinkhole opened up underneath it late Thursday evening, swallowing Bush, 37. IMAGE

6 hr ago By Tamara Lush share

tweet

email

Demolition experts plan to knock down the remainder of the damaged home on Monday. A decision on the future of neighboring houses has yet to be made.

SEFFNER, Fla. — Authorities hope to get a better look at a sinkhole that swallowed a man in his Florida home once demolition crews knock down the remaining walls of the house Monday and begin clearing away the debris.
    Crews on Sunday razed more than half the home, managing to salvage some keepsakes for family members who lived there.
    The opening of the sinkhole has been covered by the home, but once emergency officials and engineers can see inside it more clearly, they can begin planning how to deal with it. They also need to decide what will happen to the two homes on either side of the now-demolished house. Experts say the sinkhole has "compromised" those homes, but it's unclear whether steps can be taken to save them.
    Jeremy Bush, 35, tried to save his brother, Jeff, when the earth opened up and swallowed him Thursday night.
    On Sunday morning, Bush and relatives prayed with a pastor as the home — where he lived with his girlfriend, Rachel Wicker; their daughter, Hannah, 2; and others — was demolished and waited for firefighters to salvage anything possible from inside. The home was owned by Leland Wicker, Rachel's grandfather, since the 1970s.
    AP Photo: Chris O'Meara. Florida sinkhole home demolition: A Hillsborough County, Fla., firefighter removes salvaged items Sunday, including a family photo, from the Seffner, Fla., home where a sinkhole swallowed Jeffrey Bush last Thursday. IMAGE

The operator of the heavy equipment worked gingerly, first taking off a front wall. Family belongings were scooped onto the lawn gently in hopes of salvaging parts of the family's 40-year history in the home.
    As of Sunday afternoon — when demolition had stopped for the day and only a few walls remained — a Bible, family photos, a jewelry box and a pink teddy bear for Hannah were among the items saved. Firefighters also were able to pick out the purse of one of the women in the home.
    Cheers went up from family, friends and neighbors each time something valuable was salvaged.
    Wanda Carter, the daughter of Leland Wicker, cradled the large family Bible in her arms. She said her mother and father had stored baptism certificates, cards and photos between the pages of that Bible over the years.
    "It means that God is still in control, and he knew we needed this for closure," she said, crying.
    Carter said she spent from age 11 to 20 in the home, and she had to close her eyes as the home was knocked down.
    "Thank you for all of the memories and life it gave us," she said.
    The Rev. John Martin Bell of Shoals Baptist Church said he had been with the family all morning. "We just prayed with them," he said. He added that all five who lived in the house — Bush, Wicker, Hannah and two others ages 50 and 45 — were in need of support and prayers from the community.
    Several generations of family members lived in the home at the time of the ground collapse, including Jeff Bush, the man now presumed dead.
    Jeremy Bush tried to save his brother by jumping into the sinking dirt hole. He had to be pulled out of the still-shifting hole by a Hillsborough County Sheriff's deputy, who was visibly shaken when talking about the incident more than a day later.
    "I've never seen anything move so fast and do so much destruction," Deputy Douglas Duvall said.
    AP Photo: Jeremy Bush, HO. Florida sinkhole home demolition: Undated photo of Jeff Bush. IMAGE

The search for Jeff Bush, 37, was called off Saturday. He was in his bedroom Thursday night in Seffner — a suburb of 8,000 people 15 miles east of downtown Tampa — when the ground opened and took him and everything else in his room. Five others in the house at the time escape unharmed as the earth crumbled.
    The Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office is conducting the investigation. Detective Larry McKinnon said the sheriff's office and the county medical examiner cannot declare Bush dead if his body is still missing. Under Florida law, Bush's family must petition a court to declare him deceased.
    "Based on the circumstances, he's presumed dead. However, the official death certificate can only be issued by a judge, and the family has to petition the court," McKinnon said.
    The area around Seffner is known for sinkholes due to the geography of the terrain, but they are rarely deadly. No one — from longtime public safety officials to geologists — could remember an incident where a person was sucked into the earth without warning.
    ___
    MSN News on Facebook and Twitter

Florida sinkhole home to be removed

Wow!! This story is really scary!! Can you imagine just snuggling down in your safe and warm bed, and falling into a 60 foot hole??? And dying that way?? I feel for the guy and his family. What a shocking way to lose a brother, son and Father.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information