Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing disappears with 239 on board

FBI man on news said a lot of drug smugglers use stolen passports. Apparently happens a lot.
    Brookie likes this.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I know it is rare when this happens but just so scary and sad. I know the families already know the end here but I hope they find something that will let them begin the grieving process.
    I am going to come and burn the fucking house down... but you will blow me first."

There is something really really odd going on here. (as far as not finding any debris) I think they must be way off base in their location estimates. Air France 447 (the one I mentioned earlier that broke up in mid air over the mid Atlantic) had debris, wreckage, and bodies spotted within a day by the Brasilian Air Force, and that airplane went down in an area of no radar coverage.

I guess I just don't understand how this could happen. I thought almost all airlines had ACARS (air communications addressing and reporting system) these days. In the crash mentioned above, the company's dispatchers had received these automatic transmissions tracking exactly what was going wrong with the airplane's systems. Big Brother uses that system to watch us too. Normal reports (speed, altitude, lat/long, fuel remaining) are sent every few minutes and abnormal reports are sent as needed. I don't see why they wouldn't have this info.

ETA: I just read where the 777s are equipped with ACARS, but Malaysia Air chooses not to pay for the service. Alrighty, then.
    MmeVertigina likes this.

Everything sounds a bit weird, to be honest (and I'm not talking about the stolen passports): a huge plane suddenly disappears from the radar and even 2 days after that no one knows anything and there are no debris, oil slicks etc. to be found. The Gulf isn't even that deep (especially if you compare it to the Atlantic Ocean) so bigger depris should be able to be seen?

Also, wasn't there a family member that tried to call someone who was supposed on the plan and it was ringing just no one was answering it?

I guess they know more than they want to tell the media and the families...

Yeah, I've been wondering about that aspect where no passengers knew anything was wrong either and nobody tried to call out from the plane? If I was in a hijacking these days or if I had time to make some kind of call, I'd do whatever I could to get hold of someone on my phone. Maybe it disintegrated in the air and where these guys are looking just isn't the right place - and then, there are a LOT of resources out there right now looking for this thing and nobody sees anything.

Where's the oil slick from if it's not from the plane?
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Gold Member

That's terrifying that a plane could seriously disappear without any trace.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post

Where's the oil slick from if it's not from the plane?

From a big fishing boat?

Is it even possible they never find a shred? If it broke up at 35,000 feet maybe only small bits scattered all over the water and sank? This is just horrible for those famalies.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

It's taken longer than a couple of days to find some planes before, so I don't think there is anything too weird about this.

Elite Member

As I recall, it look awhile for them to find the remains of that plane that crashed after leaving Rio de Janeiro - of course, part of that was because of where it was located (I guess deep and near underwater mountains).

I just always figured that something like that would be relatively easy to find because they know the flight path...And you would think if they know the flight path, the plane's likely speed, and when it disappeared you could calculate it. But I guess with the speeds so high and the distances so long, it's not that simple. And of course the fact that it was over water.

It must greatly add to the stress and grief for the families. Poor things.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

Gold Member

Yeah, I think the Rio flight took a good two years before the wreckage was discovered.

Flygirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Brookie View Post
    Yeah, I've been wondering about that aspect where no passengers knew anything was wrong either and nobody tried to call out from the plane? If I was in a hijacking these days or if I had time to make some kind of call, I'd do whatever I could to get hold of someone on my phone. Maybe it disintegrated in the air and where these guys are looking just isn't the right place - and then, there are a LOT of resources out there right now looking for this thing and nobody sees anything.
    The airplane was not equipped with wifi or phone service. I guess it was the same cheapness that caused the airline not to pay for ACARS service either, even though the 777 is equipped to do so. No normal cell phone would work at 33,000 over the sea, although I agree with you that I think it was pretty sudden (i.e., no long hijacking ordeal).

Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    As I recall, it look awhile for them to find the remains of that plane that crashed after leaving Rio de Janeiro - of course, part of that was because of where it was located (I guess deep and near underwater mountains).

I just always figured that something like that would be relatively easy to find because they know the flight path...And you would think if they know the flight path, the plane's likely speed, and when it disappeared you could calculate it. But I guess with the speeds so high and the distances so long, it's not that simple. And of course the fact that it was over water.

It must greatly add to the stress and grief for the families. Poor things.
    Quote Originally Posted by deenz View Post
    Yeah, I think the Rio flight took a good two years before the wreckage was discovered.
    That's the Air France Flight 447 I mentioned upthread. It took two years to recover the black box, but the wreckage was actually spotted by the Brasilian Air Force within a day. Most bodies and debris were recovered within two days. In fact, they had enough debris located to have a pretty good theory in place, which was confirmed by the black box data discovered two years later and the ACARS messages that were sent real time. This was in an area with no radar coverage also.

The max depth of the Gulf of Thailand is 80m with the average depth being about 45m. Something, anything, should be turning up by now. I'm not saying I think anything sinister is going on; I just think that for whatever reason, they are searching the wrong location. I'm trying not to think too much about the poor families. So sad.

Gold Member

Ahh, I skimmed a site really quick and I thought it said it took two years for any wreckage to be found due to underwater mountains or something. Thanks for the information.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarzy View Post
    Here is the copied piece:
    Missing Malaysia Airlines Flight MH370: Passengers' Mobile Phones Ring But Not Answered

A relative (woman in white) of a passenger onboard Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 cries as she talks on her mobile phone at the Beijing Capital International Airport in BeijingReuters

The mystery surrounding the missing Malaysia Airlines flight MH370 has deepened with the Chinese media reporting that several of the passengers' mobile phones were connecting when called by relatives, but the calls were not picked up.
    The sister of one of the Chinese passengers among the 239 people on board the vanished flight rang his phone live on TV, the Mirror reports.
    "This morning, around 11:40 [am], I called my older brother's number twice, and I got the ringing tone," said Bian Liangwei, sister of one of the passengers. At 2pm, Bian called again and heard it ringing once more.
    "If I could get through, the police could locate the position, and there's a chance he could still be alive." She has passed on the number to Malaysia Airlines and the Chinese police.
    A man from Beijing also called his missing brother on the plane, and reported to the airlines that the phone connected three times and rang before appearing to hang up, according to Shanghai Daily. Media reports claim that the brother had called the number in the presence of reporters before informing the airline.
    The Strait Times reported that many of the family members told MAS commercial director Hugh Dunleavy that the commuters' mobile phones were ringing but they were not picked up.
    To this, Dunleavy replied that MAS was calling the mobile phones of the crew members as well, which were ringing, and that he had given the numbers to Chinese investigators.
    Relatives of the passengers are urging the authorities to search for the location of phones that rang using the Global Positioning System.
    However, at a press conference in Beijing, MAS spokesman Ignatius Ong said one of the numbers that had been passed on to the airline's command office in Kuala Lumpur failed to get through.
    "I myself have called the number five times while the airline's command centre also called the number. We got no answering tone," said Ong.
    A phone company in Singapore that was investigating this number said the number was out of credit.
    Families seek information
    According to China.org.cn, 19 families have signed a joint statement saying that their family members' cell phones connected, but the calls hung up. The relatives have asked Malaysia Airlines to reveal any information they might be hiding, seeking an explanation for the eerie phone connections. The relatives have complained that the Malaysina Airlines is not responding as actively as it should.

Angry family members also threw water bottles at an MAS spokesman and threatened to protest in front of the Malaysian embassy in China if the airlines did not "disclose" the "truth".
    Excuse my ignorance on the subject, but if a phone is submerged in water it will not ring at all, even if only to the caller? I didn't realize it that if it was heard as ringing by the caller that meant it was ringing on the other end too, if I turn my phone off I figured it rang for whoever was calling and went to voicemail. This is really weird if it is in fact true.

Page 3 of 30 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast

Thread Information