Page 18 of 30 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing disappears with 239 on board

Or they've just analyzed that area now. It doesn't have to be conspiracy; it could just be incompetence.
    arie_skop likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

A*O

There's been plenty of that on display for sure.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Why do I get the feeling that things are being deliberately hidden from the public??
    ikmccall, A*O, arie_skop and 4 others like this.
    Good luck getting a cat to do anything let alone join in on your sexcapades. - Air Quotes

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    Why do I get the feeling that things are being deliberately hidden from the public??
    My exact thoughts, nothing adds up with their investigation and the satellite pictures.
    BITTER likes this.

Someone else mentioned this earlier. It's amazing that our government can take spying to epic proportions and still manage to loose a huge aircraft. If I believed they were really trying to track it and couldn't, it might give me some comfort that there are some limits on what they can/cannot find out. Sadly, I'll bet someone (or multiple countries) have a damn good idea what happened and is sitting on it.
    A*O, arie_skop, ikmccall and 3 others like this.

And now France found possible debris on satellite image...

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    There is a lot more vocal criticism here about the shambolic way the Malaysians have been running this whole thing. They are more interested in protecting their reputation than being honest IMO .
    This "saving face" policy some countries have is absolutely ridiculous. When Egypt Air flight 990 crashed into the ocean near Nantucket, Egypt originally allowed the US to investigate the accident. The NTSB quickly determined it was a suicide. Egypt still to this day denies this and clings to the theory of mechanical failure. Here are the facts for your own determination.
    1) capt excuses himself to go pee, first officer clicks off auto pilot
    2) airplane enters steep descent, approximately 50 lbs of downward pressure is being applied to yoke on Co pilots side
    3) co pilot is calmly saying "I rely on god" he says this 11 times until impact
    4) capt runs back to flight deck screams "what is happening?"
    5) flight data recorder then shows >50 lbs of upward pressure being applied from captains side while >50lbs of downward pressure is being applied from co pilots side. Capt is screaming "what are you doing? Help me pull up!"
    6) co pilot realizes he's losing force battle, reaches up and "t-handles" (emergency shutoff) both engines of the 767
    7) capt screams "what are you doing? Did you just shut down the engines?"
    8) impact

Yep, Sounds like mechanical failure to me...... To this day Egypt denies it as an impossibility and claims the NTSB was out to frame them. The NTSB report was actually kind; it never mentioned suicide, just said the "deliberate actions of the copilot" were the causal factor. I know for sure even if I did have mechanical failure in my jet, I would not be chanting and fist fighting with my co pilot while I should be troubleshooting. Nor would any pilot ever shut down both engines for a flight control issue. Egypt never explained that portion. Just a thought.

EgyptAir Flight 990 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Brookie, KrisNine and arie_skop like this.

Flygirl - again, thanks for your insights. They're more than a lot of the rest of us have.
    KrisNine and sparkles like this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Yes, but we do a bitchin' trade in wild speculation!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

We sure do. I actually don't want to hear much more about it until something real is discovered. I'm officially tired of all the blind alleys and off-the-wall speculation.
    BelledeJour likes this.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^^^ I read about that flight the other night, Flygirl. Reading the transcript was terrifying. I was actually reminded of the Kevin Cosgrove 911 call, though I admit I found it slightly less troubling since it was not an actual recording. My natural (slightly morbid) curiosity and kind of donnish need for details about public events has led me to some pretty disturbing materials, but that phone call still remains one of the most unsettling things I've ever heard. Flight 990's transcript had a similiar effect on me. The pilot frantically trying to control the plane, seeming to understand the situation is desperate but not exactly sure what the hell the situation actually is and then that sudden break in text at impact... It reminded me of Kevin Cosgrove asking the operator what the hell happened and that horrible moment when the tower collapsed. The way I read it, it seemed like it was only in that final second (the last words in the transcript) when the engines were cut that he realized what the co-pilot was doing and that they were deliberately going down. I can't even imagine the horror of that realization. I'm sure any pilot's very last guess would be that a colleague is working against them and their efforts to keep everyone alive. It's one thing to be a passenger feeling the plane descending and maybe knowing what's about to happen, but for the pilot to spend his last few seconds knowing he and hundreds of people were about to be murdered by someone responsible for keeping them safe has got to be one of the worst ways for a life to end.

I sincerely pray these pilots were not involved. I hope foul play wasn't responsible in general, but with each new story it seems like we have to keep adjusting our expectations. The silver lining gets pushed back as more information comes out and the best possible outcome is looking bleaker by the day. It seems like such a remote possibility (impossible, IMO) that these people are alive. I think everyone now just hopes we find them and the answer about what happened is at least a little less tragic than the mystery of never knowing. There has to be some peace for these families.

Also interesting to me about both flights is the way cultural attitudes seem to impact each country's investigation. Egypt's denial about the co-pilot's actions seems reflective of the Muslim view of suicide as a sin (unlike say, Japan which is sometimes referred to as "suicide-tolerant"). And all we keep hearing about is how Malaysia is such a proud nation and reluctant to accept or ask for assistance. It's interesting and kind of makes you wonder what effect your own country's attitudes have on their ability to investigate these kind of situations. I would say in America we probably jump very quickly to suspicions of foul play and conspiracy theories, which can have its own drawbacks.
    BelledeJour and Flygirl like this.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Wow that poor pilot, imagine the terror and desperation he must have felt fighting against the co-pilot's determination. Poor souls.

I feel like the media over here are starting to lose interest, it's slipping further and further down the news hierarchy every day. We just had our budget (thanks scummy Westminster) so that's very much overtaken the missing flight.
    Orangina likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Yes, but we do a bitchin' trade in wild speculation!
    That's all it is no matter what. I just get paid for it.

A*O

I don't buy the suicide theory. IF the debris that's been spotted is from MH370 it's thousands of kms and hours flying from its last confirmed position when, presumably, the "suicidal" pilot turned off all the comms. More plausible is the cockpit fire, comms out, pilots overcome with smoke, plane flies on until it runs out of fuel. If that happened then presumably the flight attendants and pax were incapacitated too as I'm sure someone would have tried to get to the controls and/or send SOS messages if they knew what was going on. That plane flew for several hours before finally going down.

But all this presumes the bit and pieces of "wreckage" spotted by satellite is from a plane and not general sea junk. Nobody has actually seen it close up and it's still a huge challenge even finding it.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Legitimizing LeAnn Rimes' Murderous Trip to the Top

The thing that sticks out to me is that the plane took that hard turn. To me one of the pilots either did that manually or programmed it, and if it was done due to some kind of distress reason then why did they not also communicate with air traffic control that it was in distress and was changing course for that reason?

Thread Information