Page 17 of 30 FirstFirst ... 713141516171819202127 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing disappears with 239 on board

Elite Member

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I just can't believe that there isn't a foolproof way to stay in constant contact with a plane. This should never have happened. I feel a great sadness for the passengers, crew and their loved ones. So fucking awful.
    If it was suicide, I don't get flying all that way to do it.

Regardless, I can't imagine what those passengers and crew went through if they were conscious and aware during this process. And I feel so sad for the families having to go through this roller coaster of hope and despair.
    Grammar: The difference between knowing your shit and knowing you're shit.

I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    That's an interesting theory. What is so confusing to me about the Malaysia Airlines flight is that no distress calls were made. I do think that whatever happened, the passengers were totally unaware. Whether it's because they were instantly incapacitated by some event (like the one described in the article, or an explosion), or because they failed to recognize that the plane had seriously deviated from its course and was losing altitude. I don't think they had any knowledge of a problem until the "landing," however that may have happened... hence the lack of attempts to call people.

A*O

Lots of back-pedalling here that the "wreckage" is more likely a semi submerged shipping container or similar but nothing found yet. Meanwhile some volunteer emergency service personnel have been sent from Melbourne to Perth to "help". Help with what? These wonderful people are great at putting out bush fires and other civil emergencies but I'm not aware of their search and rescue capabilities for something that may of may not be there 1500 kms offshore. I think this will turn out to be a wild goose chase too. I think it's probably safe to assume those 200+ people have been killed but the families must be going through absolute torture.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    One CNN expert was saying this pictures are probably much more clear than they are showing and that no country wants to give away any trade secrets. I think the PM had better pictures than we see. Which explains why there was a lag time between the announcement and release of what we now see.
    This would explain why some spy satellites can photograph fucking license plates clearly but we are getting crappy Google images. Don't get me started on Thailand's epic assholery. NO country is looking good in this mess. Bunch of shifty-eyed, paranoid, macho jerks who really don't curr at all about those poor people or their families.

Quote Originally Posted by BITTER View Post
    I was hoping against hope that they had taken the plane somewhere and were holding the passengers hostage or some shit like that. This is not ending well at all.
    So true.

And: "It was reported that pilot Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah had programmed a remote island in the middle of the Indian Ocean with a runway long enough to land a Boeing 777 into his home flight simulator."

I guess this would be Diego Garcia, the UK-owned island which hosts a big US Navy base? Responsible of him to have practiced such stuff, but when was he planning on flying in that direction? Was it part of a normal Malaysia Airlines route? I want to know more about THIS plz, CNN.
    BITTER and mjw like this.
    Did you know that every time a parent gives in to their kid's whines and buys them candy at the checkout lane, a kitten gets diabetes?-Dlisted
    I dislike groups of people, but I love individuals. Every person you look at, you can see the universe in their eyes, if you're really looking.
    -George Carlin

I'm still hoping that the theory about an on-board fire that killed everyone but left the plane flying on its course until it ran out of fuel is the one that actually happened. That is if the people aren't alive somewhere.
    McJag likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

I stupidly keep checking this thread to hear if they've been found.

Imagine what the families are going through.

Quote Originally Posted by Karistiona View Post
    I'm still hoping that the theory about an on-board fire that killed everyone but left the plane flying on its course until it ran out of fuel is the one that actually happened. That is if the people aren't alive somewhere.
    Me too. Or the cabin pressure theory. Something quick where they didn't realize it was happening. A fire would seem relatively comforting if they quickly lost consciousness. All of the other theories like hijacking or even a catastrophic power failure seem unavoidably terrifying. Even if the crash killed everyone instantaneously, my heart breaks thinking about fear they must have felt in the moments before. For the families sake I hope they find an explanation for what happened that is relatively simple and somewhat comforting/bearable. It seems pretty unlikely that anyone is still alive, so the best hope is that their loved ones died quickly and without fear. Sometimes that's the only silver lining possible in these situations.
    My doctor says that I have a malformed public-duty gland and a natural deficiency in moral fibre and that I am therefore excused from saving Universes.- Douglas Adams

Thai military yesterday said they picked up an unidentified aircraft on radar bearing off the flight path, heading left over Malaysia and towards the Strait of Malacca
    Sky News presenter Kay Burley was caught on camera tripping up an escalator during a media scrum to speak to the women.
    It was reported that pilot Capt. Zaharie Ahmad Shah had programmed a remote island in the middle of the Indian Ocean with a runway long enough to land a Boeing 777 into his home flight simulator.
    Missing Malaysia flight MH370 search narrowed as US hone in on satellite signals | Mail Online
    Anyone else think that's a pretty random, inappropriate place for that little tidbit of information?
    Quote Originally Posted by BBDSP View Post
    If it was suicide, I don't get flying all that way to do it.
    To further reduce the chance the data recorders would ever be found? If cause is not determined to be suicide, life insurance, etc. would still pay out. This guy had a family, so who knows, maybe he wanted to be sure they would get his money? They say the area where this debris is is twice the depth of the area where air France 447 crashed and it took two years to find that recorder. I can't help but think that was deliberate placement. Wouldn't be the first time this has happened:

A dozen years ago, U.S. investigators filed a final report into the 1999 crash of EgyptAir Flight 990, which plunged into the Atlantic Ocean near the Massachusetts island of Nantucket, killing all 217 aboard. They concluded that when co-pilot Gameel El-Batouty found himself alone on the flight deck, he switched off the auto-pilot, pointed the plane downward, and calmly repeated the phrase "I rely on God" over and over, 11 times in total.
    Malaysia Airlines Flight 370: Pilot suicide a taboo topic in past crash probes - CBS News
    Sarzy likes this.

It's the Daily Mail, appropriate isn't really on their agenda. Also, Sky News are quite dismissive (and rightly so) of the Mail on their paper reviews whenever I've caught it.
    Flygirl likes this.
    I smile because I have no idea what's going on

Quote Originally Posted by Flygirl View Post
    If cause is not determined to be suicide, life insurance, etc. would still pay out. This guy had a family, so who knows, maybe he wanted to be sure they would get his money?
    A small point, but many life-insurance policies will pay out in case of suicide, after the policy has been held for say 2, 3 years (varies) and provided the policy holder did not fail to disclose a known mental illness at the time the policy was taken out.
    Flygirl likes this.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Speaking of inappropriate.......

Even if it's ever located, we won't know the most important part.

Why.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

They might if the are able to recover most of the plane and reconstruct it. Wishful thinking, I know.

A*O

A Chinese satellite has located another fairly large "object" 120km from where the other stuff was spotted. Well actually the date on the image is 18 March so either they've been very tardy in releasing the info or we are being lied to. Surprise. These pics come from top secret military spy satellites so their owners are paranoid about revealing what they have up there and whatever else they may be spying on.

There is a lot more vocal criticism here about the shambolic way the Malaysians have been running this whole thing. They are more interested in protecting their reputation than being honest IMO .
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Thread Information