Page 15 of 30 FirstFirst ... 511121314151617181925 ... LastLast
Like Tree388Likes

Thread: Malaysia Airlines flight to Beijing disappears with 239 on board

That's what I read yesterday, and I'd go with it personally.
    Ain't nothing wrong with Ohio wang! - MontanaMama

It does make sense. Still a bit odd how no wreckage has been seen though.

Oceans are huge.
    Novice likes this.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

That theory made great sense to me when I read it yesterday, but the hole in that now is that the turn was apparently programmed into the computer about 12 minutes before the final good night message. I have no idea how they can know that, but know so little else.

Was there ever any more information about passengers who checked in and had luggage aboard, but didn't board themselves? I kept reading that there were 4 or 5 such passengers, right at the beginning of this, but never heard anything else about it.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post
    That theory made great sense to me when I read it yesterday, but the hole in that now is that the turn was apparently programmed into the computer about 12 minutes before the final good night message. I have no idea how they can know that, but know so little else.
    I think I read that all emergency routes are pre-programmed in so that pilots don't have to waste precious time figuring out what the nearest landing strip would be.

It really sucks that ACARS and other on-board equipment don't seem to have a failsafe that would keep them from reporting a catastrophic problem - like, losing main power to the ACARS system. Also, it appears that the airline subscribed to the lowest level ACARS service, which reports engine health back to Rolls Royce.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaMama View Post

Was there ever any more information about passengers who checked in and had luggage aboard, but didn't board themselves? I kept reading that there were 4 or 5 such passengers, right at the beginning of this, but never heard anything else about it.
    Yes,twice I have heard that explained. There were 4 and the luggage was also removed before flight.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thanks Jaggiekins. I just hadn't seen the answer anywhere.
    If i hear one more personal attack, i will type while drunk, then you can cry! - Bugdoll
    (716): I'd call her a cunt, but she doesn't seem to have the depth or warmth
    Quote Originally Posted by shedevilang View Post
    (Replying to MontanaMama) This is some of the smartest shit I ever read

But didn't they say the pilots switched off the ACARS 12 min. before they heard the co-pilot for the last time? So he would have had time to tell them that there are problems instead of "alright, good night"? OR did they denied that already (again)?

Quote Originally Posted by BelledeJour View Post
    But didn't they say the pilots switched off the ACARS 12 min. before they heard the co-pilot for the last time? So he would have had time to tell them that there are problems instead of "alright, good night"? OR did they denied that already (again)?
    I thought they said that the last communication from ACARS was at 1:07 am. But does that mean it was switched off? Also, if they had just a low-level subscription from ACARS (engine status) what would ACARS have been sending after that? Does it communicate even when things are okay? It was 14 more minutes before the transponder stopped communicating. Could a fire on the plane incapacitated the ACARS system first, and then the plane was able to fly 14 more minutes before the tranponder got zapped?

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I thought they said that the last communication from ACARS was at 1:07 am. But does that mean it was switched off? Also, if they had just a low-level subscription from ACARS (engine status) what would ACARS have been sending after that? Does it communicate even when things are okay? It was 14 more minutes before the transponder stopped communicating. Could a fire on the plane incapacitated the ACARS system first, and then the plane was able to fly 14 more minutes before the tranponder got zapped?
    Right, I believe the ACARS is the system that is located below deck or whatever the term is. Goodfellow is saying that a fire could have begun down there, unbeknownst to the pilots. ?? That there's nothing to let them know ACARS stopped functioning. ?? So confusing.
    Posted from my fucking iPhone

Quote Originally Posted by Shinola View Post
    Right, I believe the ACARS is the system that is located below deck or whatever the term is. Goodfellow is saying that a fire could have begun down there, unbeknownst to the pilots. ?? That there's nothing to let them know ACARS stopped functioning. ?? So confusing.
    I think so, too. I also was listening to a discussion on CNN last night, and one of the pilots was saying that there are multiple failsafes for power loss, etc. for systems on the plane. That a problem in one area wouldn't knock out one thing just like that, unless the whole plane exploded instantaneously.

Quote Originally Posted by twitchy2.0 View Post
    Oceans are huge.
    And the search area is "the size of Australia", plus the search protocol is fucked up & they only had single figures of planes searching.
    Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Yes,twice I have heard that explained. There were 4 and the luggage was also removed before flight.
    I've been on flights where they have had to remove the baggage of folks that are unable to get themselves from the bar to the gate intone for take off. It's fairly frequent thing I think?
    Free Charmed.

A*O

Instantaneous explosion .... Which a Sidewinder missile fired from a fighter jet would do.

NONE of the theories make sense based on the incomplete/misleading info we're being drip fed.

"no shows" are quite common on flights and are the bane of everyone's life because of the delays and hassle in taking the bags off, and they DO take the bags off. Lots of them are terrified fliers who just can't face getting on a plane or people getting drunk in the bar who lose track of time. Then they aren't allowed to fly anyway because they're too pissed.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Mine does! I included misinformation as part of it!

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Today the familes waiting finally cracked. That one poor Chinese woman calling for her son got me. I don't know how they can bear it all this time without a straight answer.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Thread Information