Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree38Likes

Thread: The Know-Nothing’s Guide to Pussy Riot, the Realest Punks Alive

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by azoria View Post
    Don't put words in my mouth. I never said a two year sentence was reasonable.

But they are certainly guilty of the worst kind of attention whoring and overstepping the bounds of decency. This would have been an outrage anywhere.
    Mmhm. So how much time did Madonna spend in prison for her Like a Prayer video? How many years hard labour did Sinead O'Connor get for ripping up a picture of the pope?

And as far as Pussy Riot goes, sometimes a little attention whoring is needed to focus the eyes of the world on a cause or belief. Jesus did it all the time to spread his word. Loaves and fishes? Walking on water? Raising the dead? That tart!
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Garry Kasparov Caught up in Crazy Pussy Riot Protests

Adam Martin 10:14 AM ET

The prostests around the conviction of Russian punk band Pussy Riot are getting intense, and to top off all the craziness and nudity, Russian chess master and democracy activist Garry Kasparov has been arrested.

The protests, which brought people out in force across Europe, have their own special brand of colorful mayhem: A topless Ukrainian protester chainsawed down a cros in Kiev (left), protesters in Sofia, Bulgaria, slapped face-covering balaclavas (like the ones the band wore during the "Punk Prayer" that got them arrested in the first place) over soviet-era monuments. Outside the Russian embassy in London, protesters wearing balaclavas and condemning both the Pussy Riot verdict and the Russian support for the Syrian government started throwing rocks, and Russia is accusing the United Kingdom of not doing anything to stop them.

And of course in Moscow, Kasparov got swept up in the mayhem outside the courtroom, which he said he was only there to observe, not to join. The editors of Kasparov's Facebook page wrote that "He was not there to protest, simply to attend, and the police cornered him and dragged him into the police van." They posted a photo of Kasparov in the police van, while The New York Times confirmed through its own photo, that he'd been arrested. The editors wrote in an update: "He is at the police station. He was beaten but says he is okay. He isn't sure what will happen next. It seems the police are waiting for orders from above."

http://www.theatlanticwire.com/globa...rotests/55891/

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I'm going to voice an opinion that will piss everybody off.
    Well it pissed me off, so you got that part right.

What if they were protesting sexual abuse by church leaders? Would that still be trespassing? And I thought churches were supposed to be open to all, I didn't realise they were private property and only God and the government has a key.
    Kittylady, chartreuse and analyzer like this.
    "You're going to die tomorrow, Lord Bolton. Sleep well."

Pussyriot could have put on their little performance in the Kropotinskaya Metro perehod across the street, a public place. No one would have paid any attention to them. You would never have heard of Pussyriot.

So they got their attention by violating the sanctity of the Russian Orthodox church.

It comes under the heading of 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. They got what they were looking for.

^^^

what kind of country imprisons people for criticising religion? or the government, for that matter. since this is more about the fact that they dare challenge putin than it is about insulting religion...

and it's not like the russian orthodox church isn't politicised or in cahoots with putin's government...
    chartreuse likes this.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

Personally after reading the below (originally posted by mjw in the Madonna thread in Latest Gossip) I'm rather of the opinion that the Russian Orthodox Church should quit whining and go diddle itself.

ST PETERSBURG, Russia (Reuters) - A group of Russian anti-gay activists sued American pop star Madonna for $10 million on Friday, saying she had insulted their feelings when she spoke out for gay rights at a concert in St Petersburg last week.

Performing in black lingerie with the words "No Fear" scrawled on her back, Madonna attacked a city law adopted in March that imposed fines for spreading homosexual "propaganda". She had earlier called the law a "ridiculous atrocity".

Homosexuality, punished with jail terms in the Soviet Union, was decriminalized in Russia in 1993, but much of the gay community remains underground as prejudice runs deep.

"She (Madonna) had been warned with words that she should behave in line with the law and she ignored it. So we will speak in the language of money," said Darya Dedova, one of the 10 activists who filed the lawsuit in a St Petersburg court.

"Of course, it is difficult to measure moral damages and suffering but maybe people who earn money regardless of moral rules will better understand this," Dedova said. She added if they won the case, the money would be sent to orphanages.

"Maybe someone does not see the link but after Madonna's concert maybe some boy becomes gay, some girl becomes lesbian, fewer children are born as a result and this big country cannot defend its borders - for me it causes moral suffering," said Alexei Kolotkov, another of the activists who filed the suit.

The St Petersburg propaganda law is the model for a bill that has been submitted to the national parliament but has not yet faced a vote. Critics say they fear it could be used to clamp down on the lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender community, for example by barring gay rights demonstrations.

In Moscow, gay rights suffered a blow when an appeal court upheld a lower court's ruling that found city authorities had acted legally when they rejected applications from activists to hold a gay rights march every year for the next 100 years.

Attempts to hold gay rights rallies in the Russian capital have often ended in arrests and clashes with anti-gay activists.

In May, dozens of people were detained in Moscow after Russian Orthodox activists broke up two gay rights marches, throwing water and shouting prayers.

(Writing by Gleb Bryanski; Editing by Pravin Char)
    Anti-gay Russian activists sue Madonna for $10 million - chicagotribune.com
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^

what kind of country imprisons people for criticising religion? or the government, for that matter. since this is more about the fact that they dare challenge putin than it is about insulting religion...

and it's not like the russian orthodox church isn't politicised or in cahoots with putin's government...
    It's a country that singlehandedly wiped out the free exercise of religion for about 70 years. And is now effectively being run by a former apparatchik who helped enforce those laws. Authoritarianism makes strange bedfellows.

Pussyriot could have put on their little performance in the Kropotinskaya Metro perehod across the street, a public place. No one would have paid any attention to them. You would never have heard of Pussyriot.

So they got their attention by violating the sanctity of the Russian Orthodox church.

It comes under the heading of 'there is no such thing as bad publicity'. They got what they were looking for.
    So you think they did this to sell more records, not to get an important message across? I'm glad they didn't put on their "little performance" across the street where they wouldn't risk offending the likes of you, and I'm glad I've now heard of Pussy Riot.
    Kittylady and MmeVertigina like this.

This whole Pussy Riot thing would have worked much better if they just kept their mouths shut and silently prayed away the Putin. What a brilliant protest strategy.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

russia is so fucked still in these days, is weird going there to the parts that the actual people live, feels like you go back in time, everywhere it is just grey and concrete and just weird.

these women are heroes really, having the balls to do that. i am actually suprised they were not killed by an unknown source (really putins people) after that, probs would have if the matter wasnt international.
    Kittylady and Sarzy like this.
    we don't have to make love to have an orgasm

Quote Originally Posted by sputnik View Post
    ^^^

They can challenge Putin all day and all night for all I care.

But what they have no right to do is to bring a political performance into the altar of a church without the permission of that church. Clearly they had no such permission, and the Church of Christ Our Savior not being a public square, had every right to object to their uninvited intrusion. Period.

They can challenge Putin all day and all night for all I care.

But what they have no right to do is to bring a political performance into the altar of a church without the permission of that church. Clearly they had no such permission, and the Church of Christ Our Savior not being a public square, had every right to object to their uninvited intrusion. Period.
    Object, yes. Even give them a small fine or something, which I still wouldn't agree with but if they needed to make an example then something like that wouldn't be unreasonable. But 2 years in prison for a 30 second protest?

And I still don't get this concept that a church isn't a public place. Sure I can't go set up a banana lounge and watch TV at the altar, but I always believed churches were supposed to welcome all.

So you are far more concerned about some Liberace-wannabe building being used as the backdrop to a statement about government approved social injustice than the actual government approved social injustice itself? Since when has a building been more important than people?

They chose the church because they needed people to sit up and take notice, because the church is equally guilty of the abuses by the government for being hand in glove with them.

SMH. Why am I trying? It's like WorkingGirl switched faith.
    Snarker likes this.

Serious question, did Pussy Riot cause physical damage to the church? I can't find any evidence that they did. In the US, that would amount to disorderly conduct and perhaps trespassing.

And let's not forget that even Jesus got angry in the temple.
    Kittylady likes this.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Quote Originally Posted by Kittylady View Post
    So you are far more concerned about some Liberace-wannabe building
    But didn't you see the ceilings Kitty? It's DESECRATION!!!111!!!!

Moscow's hugest newest most gilded Orthodox monument,
    Before I waste any time on google is this a brand new billion dollar cathedral? I guess the Russian Orthodox Church has decided to kick social justice in the nuts and spend money where it's really needed - on gilded ceilings that aren't at all vulgar.
    Kittylady likes this.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information