Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Jehovah Witness dad battles school district

What I don't get is that if only 144000 people go to heaven, wtf is the point of proselytizing? Either you're going or you're not, so why not eat cake and not die from lack of blood transfusions? And why skew your own odds by bringing the infidel into the fold?

I think it's that all the JW will live on a "perfect" Earth which God will build for 1000 years after the Armageddon. Basically, after the apocalypse, all the Jehovah's Witnesses get some version of paradise.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

I don't think logic is their strong suit.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

No after reading that list, I'm pretty sure logic is not their strong suit. For example, a member of the church cannot believe what a person who has been shunned from the church says - even if it is factual. Yeah, ok then.
    "AND WHEN YOU BECAME DENISE, I TOLD ALL YOUR COLLEAGUES, THOSE CLOWN COMICS, TO FIX THEIR HEARTS OR DIE."

Religion!

I don't think I've ever had a JW knock at my door.
    But as for this topic, I sang some religious songs in primary school and I'm an atheist, big deal.

What a bunch of Debbie Downers. I'm surprised they're allowed to take a proper shit.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

i think there would be a different reaction if this was a kid from a mainstream religion who was being made to do something that went against their faith's rules. i think it's easy for people to write it off because it's a 'freaky' JW.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

I think it depends on the number of rules the particular faith has and how intrusive it is to managing the overall class.

I went to grade school with a JW. During things she couldn't do she was just sidelined. It wasn't a bother for us or the teachers. She was there with us, but sat on the side and didn't participate. I'm sure it sucked for her being left out, but I guess that was a part of what she dealt with all the time.
    It's no longer a dog whistle, it's a fucking trombone

All of God's children are not beautiful. Most of God's children are, in fact, barely presentable.

If I wanted the government in my womb I'd fuck a Senator

Quote Originally Posted by witchcurlgirl View Post
    I went to grade school with a JW. During things she couldn't do she was just sidelined. It wasn't a bother for us or the teachers. She was there with us, but sat on the side and didn't participate. I'm sure it sucked for her being left out, but I guess that was a part of what she dealt with all the time.
    That's how I figured the original story was happening, that the child was just being sidelined and probably is relatively OK with that, or has found a way to deal with it. I don't think that in and of itself is a bad thing, but if the father is starting to start trouble unnecessarily (which seems to be the case, but I'm still not sure what exactly he's angling for here), then I can see how it could potentially be disruptive to the class. But, I do think kids are more adaptable than people give them credit for being. Who knows, maybe the JW kid gets made fun of, but probably the other kids just think it's a different or a little weird.

eta

A Southern California man claims his daughter was forced to sing songs in class that violate her religious beliefs.
    Paul Salcedo’s daughter is in the third grade at Rosebank Elementary School in Chula Vista, Calif.
    Salcedo objects to his daughter, who is a Jehovah’s Witness, singing the songs "My Country 'Tis of Thee," "This Land is Your Land" and "You're a Grand Ol' Flag."

"That's a part of the religion too. They don't salute the flag. They don't sing those types of songs. That's their right," Salcedo said.
    Salcedo, whose wife is a Jehovah's Witness, got emotional when he discussed how his daughter said she was forced to sing the songs.
    Here's something else I find interesting. I don't think the dad is JW, just the kid and the mother. Since it's all fresh in my mind from yesterday, I was thinking it was odd that he wasn't a follower of the religion. JWs are not supposed to socialize with non JWs, much less marry them. But it could also explain why he's so vocal about it, I think this has to be a borderline case of getting involved in politics which they're not supposed to do either.

I also think it depends on the extent to which a person interprets the rules of their religion and expects other people to enforce or accommodate them. He is objecting to some fairly secular stuff. I think it is intrusive for a teacher to have to learn the details of every exotic religion out there on the off chance that someone's parent is going to be offended. Moreover the school is disputing his account of his child being forced to participate. Usually a person who is this worried about having their kid's values corrupted puts them in a private school that caters to their religion or home schools them.

i think there would be a different reaction if this was a kid from a mainstream religion who was being made to do something that went against their faith's rules. i think it's easy for people to write it off because it's a 'freaky' JW.
    I went to elementary school in Mississippi. During our holiday program, we sang Hannukah songs, sang religious and secular Christmas songs, and talked about the seven principles of Kwanzaa. Our teacher said he understood most of us celebrated a Christian Christmas, but we were going to suck it up and learn about other cultures and religions. He demanded respect for all beliefs, and I am forever grateful to him for encouraging us to be open-minded and seek our truth for ourselves, even at an early age. I can guarantee you it was the only speech on tolerance and acceptance that many of those kids ever heard.

So can they work part time selling tobacco products? Why can't they spell separately correctly?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread Information