Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree71Likes

Thread: Jehovah Witness dad battles school district

I hate that I do this but I let my dogs out in the yard when the JWs are on my street. They don't like anyone coming near their fence and go nuts. Usually it stops the JWs from coming on the property but we had a brave one not long ago. I invited them into the vestibule where my MIL has huge pictures of Mary and Jesus hanging along with some other saints' pictures and a big fat crucifix. They looked around and hit the road pretty fast.

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

My OH's ex-wife was raised as a JW before choosing to leave as an adult and she used to go completely overboard every time there was a birthday or it was Christmas. As a result the Bloke almost breaks out in hives at the thought of putting Christmas decorations up.

When I was at school I would just stay silent whenever they did prayers etc at morning assembly. It was easier than making a fuss and walking out. I do the same at weddings and christenings. I'm not going to snub sharing someone elses special day just because I don't buy into the religious part of it.
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

I'm definitely in the minority here, but I feel for the guy. It sounds like he addressed their beliefs with the school beforehand, and found out they weren't being respected. He's not asking the class to stop signing the songs, or do anything different for him, he just wants to make sure his daughter isn't forced to do it. I see nothing wrong with wanting to record the conversation, because then he has proof of the conversation...in case the school once again decides not to care.

If my family was vegetarians, and I told the school to not provide my child meat, I'd be really upset to find out they made her try beef stew or ham sandwiches. A ham sandwich or a folk song may be a drop in the hat when it comes to world issues, but those beliefs and customs you instill in your children are. If the daughter isn't allowed to leave the room, or told that its ok for her to sit these events out, she could be feeling forced or pressured into going along.

i don't know why JW get such a bad rap. Honestly, I'm more irritated by neighborhood kids coming around twice a week selling cookies, popcorn, candy bars, magazine scripts, ect., than the occasional knock on the door by a JW. When I say no to the JW, they feel guilty for not saving me....when I say no to neighborhood kids, I get the guilt trip for not funding their vacation/summer camp/whatever.

Quote Originally Posted by venue_26 View Post
    i don't know why JW get such a bad rap.
    I put the thumbs straight down on any religion that makes their kid avoid eating birthday cake, celebrating your own birthday, or Christmas, or partaking in fun kid activities. I remember the first time I heard that 7th Day Adventist kids had to stay inside on Saturdays. To me, that's awful. I think it's horrible not letting a kids be a kid.

Most people get turned off by droves of religious people descending on their doorsteps and I think that's where the distrust and dislike start. Then, when people get over the initial phase of avoiding JW trying to proselytize them, they find out things like they don't allow blood transfusions, they don't let their kids eat cake, etc., and people just find them weird for that. And that's where the bad rap comes from.

Like I said earlier, the kid is already exempt from singing in class, saying the pledge, and attending social studies, what more does the father want? The school said the kid wasn't "forced" to sing. How could they force her? The only way there's a problem here is if the kid is refusing to sing and the teacher and principal decide to punish the child over refusing, which does not appear to be happening.

Personally, I'd rather buy some candy for some kid's school trip than having religious people trying to change my mind about something. venue, if you get a no soliciting sign from your city or county and those people won't show up as much. And if they do, just point to the sign and most of them are pretty nice about walking away.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Elite Member

I love their Watchtower tracts. They're hysterical.

Quote Originally Posted by stella blue View Post
    I love their Watchtower tracts. They're hysterical.
    If you think they're great, you should check out Chick Publications' version of "The Walking Dead" (The Walking Dead?)

Sample panels:

In 4th grade we had World Week and each classroom had a different country, mine had Japan and we had to learn a Japanese national folk song. Just wondering if singing another country's song is also against JW beliefs.
    Baby, by the time you have kids and they're in school, no one will care about you.

About 30 years ago, I was dating a guy and was watching a movie at his house on a Saturday. The door was open, the screen was locked. A knock comes on the door. I get up to answer it with a short little terry romper on, a glass of booze in my hand and we're watching "The Godfather". It's a couple of JW's, and I looked thru the screen and kinda slurred, "Caaaan I hepppp yuuuuuuuuu?" They gave me some booklet and left immediately.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Niiice, Brookie. I'm gonna add that to my repertoire for getting rid of people.

A*O

JWs believe they are the only ones who will go to heaven. If that's the case I'll take my chances in the Other Place with the fun people please.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

^ seriously what type of heaven doesn't have birthday cake ? or Christmas cookies ? What would be the point of going ?

Quote Originally Posted by A*O View Post
    JWs believe they are the only ones who will go to heaven. If that's the case I'll take my chances in the Other Place with the fun people please.
    You'd rather laugh with the sinners than cry with the saints?

Quote Originally Posted by choozen1ne View Post
    ^ seriously what type of heaven doesn't have birthday cake ? or Christmas cookies ? What would be the point of going ?
    I think what kind of compounds the misery, from talking with a former JW, is the emphasis on proselytizing. They aren't up on everybody's porches for the giddy hell of it (no pun intended), but because your good standing within the JW church depends on how often you've gone out there to drum up new members.

If there are any JW or former JW people out there who think I've misrepresented this, feel free to correct me. I know mormons kind of do that with their missions, but at least it's a discrete/small portion of their lives and not something you have to do forever.

Quote Originally Posted by MohandasKGanja View Post
    I put the thumbs straight down on any religion that makes their kid avoid eating birthday cake, celebrating your own birthday, or Christmas, or partaking in fun kid activities. I remember the first time I heard that 7th Day Adventist kids had to stay inside on Saturdays. To me, that's awful. I think it's horrible not letting a kids be a kid.
    Don't even mention Halloween! Joy stealers.
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

I was reading a bunch of stuff about JW today. Actually, they only believe 144,000 people (The Little Flock) will go to heaven. All the other JWs will survive the apocalypse and stay on earth or will die during the apocalypse and be reborn onto earth after God replaces the earth with a new paradise. They believe humans are meant to live on earth, not in heaven. The 144,000 people that do go to heaven stand as rulers of the new paradise, or something like that.

Here's a link with a list of everything they can't do. It won't let me copy the whole thing.

Things Jehovah's Witnesses Can't Do.

edit

Quote Originally Posted by McJag View Post
    Don't even mention Halloween! Joy stealers.
    That was another thing. The man who started the religion, Charles Taze Russell, actually died on October 31. I know that's not why they don't celebrate Halloween or anything else with a modicum of fun, but it was a strange coincidence to me.
    Gross, put it away. You could dress beautifully but you gotta be Miss Granny Panty Whore.
    ~Manx Mouse

Life is a hell of a thing to happen to a person.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information