Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: J.C. Penney's drastic sales move

They have a mini-Sephora in the one at the mall I go to, and even THAT is boring.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

I actually do like Penney's. I buy my basic underwear and shirts and I buy almost all my towels and sheets there. I got into buying there b/c they have free shipping a lot.

JCPenney's new logo:

jcpenney Nails the American Look - Brand New

As you might remember, jcpenney landed in the top three of my 2011 Worst list for its bake-off approach to designing the last iteration of their logo, so it was with both high and low expectations that I approached a highly public company reimagining announced yesterday. If you don’t mind, I’ll repeat the same introduction from last year: First opened as a dry-goods store named the “Golden Rule” in Kemmerer, Wyoming by James Cash Penney in 1902, JCPenney today is a publicly-traded company with 1,100 department stores across the U.S. and Puerto Rico, mostly in shopping malls. Providing fairly decent middle-of-the-road merchandise, JCPenney is an extremely popular destination for finding affordable items without the top brand names attached — they develop many of their own brands. / End recycled intro. / “Every initiative we pursue,” starting February 1, reads the press release, “will be guided by our core value to treat customers as we would like to be treated — fair and square.” New store designs, new brand names, new spokesperson partner in Ellen DeGeneres, and — yay — new logo and identity will be rolled out. No design firm is credited (leads anyone?).

The new jcpenney logo, which combines the elements that have made jcpenney an enduring American brand, by evoking the nation’s flag and jcpenney’s commitment to treating customers Fair and Square. The square frame imagery will be evident throughout all of jcpenney’s marketing, to remind customers to frame the things they love.
    — Press Release

The old logo, designed by a graphic design student at the University of Cincinnati and selected from about 200 options jcpenney requested from others, was not formally or structurally bad but it looked like, well, a student-level design exercise. There was no there there in that new logo or in the one that preceded it. The new logo, I have to say, is damn impressive. It is amazingly simple, clear, and bold. It express the All-American feeling jcpenney is going for and it alludes to the American flag in a subtle and sophisticated way that makes every American Presidential candidate look like a doofus for not designing a logo like this before. This logo has the potential to transform the jcpenney brand from a mediocre mall brand into an American retail fashion icon like Tommy Hilfiger — perhaps not in quality but at least in appearance.

The rest of the identity plays up the logo nicely, using it big and allowing the photography — playful and colorful — to show inside the red square. There is a lot of Gotham involved, which I guess has become as American as apple pie. I think it looks better in the logo than in the applications, as it starts to look a little more like an electronics store. Overall, this logo and identity are full of potential and is one of the most on-target identities for a large, very common-denominator consumer company that I have seen in a while.

The graphic design nerd in me sort of likes it, but it's still meh, but the rebranding looks good.

This is still my favorite JCPenney logo:

I will say that at least JCPenney is still trying to remain relevant and competitive with say, Kohls unlike it's more dowdy rival, Sears.

I love that picture of the little girl in her Mom's shoes!
    I didn't start out to collect diamonds, but somehow they just kept piling up.-Mae West

Good for them! I wouldn't mind seeing them succeed and thrive.

I'm a pretty basic, conservative dresser, and I've actually found some of their clothing to be quite good in terms of styles I prefer. Haven't had a problem with quality ever. And if I remember correctly, when I was plus-size I used to buy a lot of my clothes there. The styles compared with plus-size only retailers in my town and they were definitely less expensive. Their perfume is always less expensive than other retailers too.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits."

I've never like their clothes since I take a petite in pants and they mostly had polyster stretch pants in petite sizes. But I do like them for curtains and bedding. Between the store and catalogue they have a huge selection and they are cheaper than other department stores.

I'll give the new JCP a go.

Well I must be boring as fuck, cuz I shop at JCPenney. I buy clothes for the boys there, and tennis shoes when they do buy one, get one half off. hubby got my christmas present there, a new watch. When they have items on their clearance rack, you can get really good deals. I've gotten a pair of Levi's shorts there for $8. They're shorts I'm wearing to Little League, not a fashion show, why would I want to spend a ton of money? I only ever shop there when stuff's on clearance or a great sale, so I'm pretty happy that the prices will always be lower.

The stores themselves are boring as hell, so it's nice to see them revamp it.
    RELIGION: Treat it like it's your genitalia. Don't show it off in public, and don't shove it down your children's throats.

There's a sale at Penney's!!!

"I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

I like the clothes in their kids section and I have gotten some decent dress pants and tops for work there. I have also gotten bras there, usually when it is buy one get one half off.
    Did you know that an anagram for "Conscious Uncoupling" is "Iconic Uncool Pus Guns"? - MohandasKGanja

Well ain't y'all a bunch of uppity cunts. Growing up we were strictly a K-mart/Wal-Mart kinda family, and I thought JCP was fancy!

When I was younger, I used to sew quite a bit and bought all my sewing notions and fabric from the local JC Penney. They used to have some nice items.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Beeyotch View Post
    Well ain't y'all a bunch of uppity cunts. Growing up we were strictly a K-mart/Wal-Mart kinda family, and I thought JCP was fancy!
    Hmph, Not I! *flips hair* We were a Kmart/FEDCO/Thrift Store family. But Wal-Mart didn't get to our part of California until the mid-90's.

We moved down south not too long after that, so we became a Wal-Mart family by then.

I love Penny's for the sheets and towels, and they have awesome stuff in their catalog as far as home decor goes.
    Somebody blow Mel Gibson Already- Michael K

Quote Originally Posted by hustle4alivin View Post
    Hmph, Not I! *flips hair* We were a Kmart/FEDCO/Thrift Store family. But Wal-Mart didn't get to our part of California until the mid-90's.

We moved down south not too long after that, so we became a Wal-Mart family by then.
    to K-Mart/Thriftstore families! We were also a military family, so the Navy PX, unfashionable as they mostly were, helped clothe us a lot too.

I still like JCP for bedding and they have the best towels for the money I think.

Penney's has great baby stuff. I wish I would have checked them out when I was pregnant because their maternity section is a really good size with cute stuff. They also have a nice home department. We get the baby's picture taken there every few months.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information