Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Inconceivable: Flight Passenger Asked to Remove ‘Intimidating’ Inigo Montoya Tee

^^Sure ya can...come on

Flygirl likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by birdie View Post
    Maybe I'm that dense
    i think it's safe to say that the 'maybe' in that sentence is superfluous.
    I'm open to everything. When you start to criticise the times you live in, your time is over. - Karl Lagerfeld

I challenge you all to a battle of wits.
    "I've cautiously embraced jeggings"
    Emma Peel aka Pacific Breeze aka Wilde1 aka gogodancer aka maribou

Yip, yip, yip in your tiny indignation. Bark furiously on, lady dog.

But I came unarmed!
    As Canadian as possible under the circumstances

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"What's traitors, precious?" -- President Gollum

So, those of you defending him being asked to remove his t-shirt on the grounds that it might make others nervous, what would you do if a guy (or even a female) came on the plane with scary tattoos? Maybe tattoos of guns and knives, threatening tattoos. Would it be okay for them to make him or her cover their tattoos because they make others nervous? After all, in this day and age, shouldn't people know better than to get those tattoos and still want to fly on an airplane because of other people's stereotypes and misconceptions? Isn't that what the world is all about these days, catering to the people who stereotype and take things the wrong way? Heaven knows we wouldn't want to try to challenge or change those misconceptions or overreactions.
    faithanne and stef like this.
    "Schadenfreude, hard to spell, easy to feel." ~VenusinFauxFurs

"Scoffing is one of my main hobbies!" ~Trixie

Hit By Ban Bus!

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    So, those of you defending him being asked to remove his t-shirt on the grounds that it might make others nervous, what would you do if a guy (or even a female) came on the plane with scary tattoos? Maybe tattoos of guns and knives, threatening tattoos. Would it be okay for them to make him or her cover their tattoos because they make others nervous? After all, in this day and age, shouldn't people know better than to get those tattoos and still want to fly on an airplane because of other people's stereotypes and misconceptions? Isn't that what the world is all about these days, catering to the people who stereotype and take things the wrong way? Heaven knows we wouldn't want to try to challenge or change those misconceptions or overreactions.
    He wasn't asked to remove the shirt, she airline attendant left after speaking with him supposedly to get another shirt but she never came back andasked him to take it off or to cover it up. That's why I don't get what the big deal is.

Maybe I'm that dense, what the in the hell does race have to do with it, unless you are making the racist stereotype yourself? The guy was white and it was a teeshirt. It said the airline attendant saw the shirt and never came back, perhaps someone saw part of the shirt with the top part being obscured by folds of fabric and just wondered what kind of person would get on a plane wearing a shirt that said "prepare to die." Once they understood it was in the context of a known movie quote the matter was dropped. Why in the world is this even in the news, other than it being sort of funny, it's not news.
    I flip out if I board a plane and see these people!!!

but I call Homeland Security right away if I see these people even driving near the airport!!

You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

, what the in the hell does race have to do with it, unless you are making the racist stereotype yourself?
    I resent that. Some of my best friends are racists. I even let them use my bathroom.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeSlice View Post
    I wasn't defending the airline necessarily, I was just saying in today's climate he might have made a better decision on what to wear on an airplane. Tattoos are permanent, not the same thing. Comparing it to bias against tattoos and skin color is blowing it out of proportion. All I'm saying is that out of his whole wardrobe, another shirt might have been a better choice on that day. Is it silly for people to be freaked by a movie quote? Sure, but flying can be a touchy thing these days, not saying that people are right by being so sensitive, but it's well known they are, so why stir the pot unnecessarily?
    southernbelle likes this.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

I doubt he was stirring the pot though. It probably never occurred to him that someone would freak out over that.
    shedevilang likes this.

If I had that shirt it wouldn't even occur to me that it would make people nervous on a plane.

*edit* twitchy beat me
    shedevilang likes this.

True, he may not have thought about it.

I don't know why, but this oddly reminds me of the time my husband tried to wear a shirt from a seafood place called Crabby Dick's that had a double entendre saying about crabs and dicks to a casual BBQ Christening party. He had no clue it might be inappropriate until I pointed it out.

ETA: He's not as dumb as this makes him sound, he's just a typical man about clothes...one shirt is as good as any other to him.
    JazzyGirl likes this.
    Is it Happy Hour yet?

A*O

I would insist my husband wear a shirt saying Crabby Dicks to a christening BBQ but only if we were flying there.
    faithanne and Lalique like this.
    I've never liked lesbianism - it leaves a bad taste in my mouth
    Dame Edna Everage

Just because you're offended doesn't mean you're right.

Quote Originally Posted by SHELLEE View Post
    *edit* twitchy beat me
    You might want to report that to another mod.
    You don't engage with crazies. Because they're, you know, fucking crazy. - WitchCurlGirl

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread Information