Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Husband/wife jetskiing (allegedly) attacked by Mexican pirates

Somewhere been 'General Confusion' and 'Total WTF?'

Quote Originally Posted by ConstanceSpry View Post
    My hubby has an interesting theory, he thinks since they were having financial problems, maybe they plotted to fake his death.
    That's very, very interesting and your hubs may be on to something. If David Hartley is alive then they may have got their inspiration from a British case from 2008 involving John and Anne Darwin. It was claimed that he'd gone out on the sea in his canoe and got into difficulties and drowned. A massive air and sea search took place, but no body was found. His wife cashed in the life insurance and other benefits and they went on to have a grand old time together, eventually liquidating all their UK assets and investing in a hotel in Panama. Then a colleague of his wife became suspicious after overhearing a phone conversation prior to Mrs Darwin's emigration and went to the police about it. Five years after his alleged death he walked into a police station in London claiming to have no memory of where he'd been for the last few years. Then pictures surfaced showing the couple together in Panama and the whole thing came unravelled. Both were later sent to prison for the insurance fraud and passport offences.

John Darwin disappearance case - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me. Hunter S Thompson

How big would a T-Rex wang be?! - Karistiona

Or they're faking his death to cause the huge media kerfuffle that's resulting in all sorts of calls to beef up border security. It's right before an election and this will be used as a tool.

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge."

-- Stephen Hawking

Today they are confirming that his blood is on her lifevest. She has offered to take a lie detector test. The blood helps collaborate her story , they say they have no reason not to believe her .... very bizarre story still
    My grace is sufficient for you, for my my strength is made perfect in weakness...I love you dad!
    Rip Mom

Authorities: 'Info' Indicates U.S. Woman Had No Role in Husband's Death on Border Lake

Published October 07, 2010

An American woman isn't being identified by as a suspect in her husband's death on a Mexican border lake, U.S. investigators said, tamping down speculation about the credibility of her story.

U.S. law enforcement officials said Thursday that they have undisclosed "information" leading them to believe Tiffany Harley had no criminal involvement in an alleged attack on her husband on Lake Falcon, a 60-mile-long lake that connects Texas with Mexico.

Sheriff Martin Cuellar of Webb County said Thursday that authorities have information suggesting Hartley's story is credible. Hartley of Milliken, Colo., said her husband, David, was shot by Mexican pirates on the lake last week as they were returning to the United States on Jet Skis.

"Information has surfaced that we can't disclose at this time that she didn’t commit any kind of offense," Cuellar told reporters.

Hartley has said she tried to pull her husband's body from the water after he was shot in the back of his head but was unable to. The 29-year-old woman told authorities she fled the scene for fear that Mexican bandits would shoot her.

No body has been recovered and Mexican authorities, meanwhile, have questioned Hartley's account, saying there's no evidence indicating that a crime was committed.

On Wednesday, Cuellar sought to dispel such suggestions. He told reporters "there is indication of blood on her vest," and he suggested that the blood -- which he didn't immediately identify as David Hartley's -- got onto his wife's vest as she was trying to lift him from the water.

Rep. Henry Cuellar, the sheriff's brother, also said that a "reliable" eyewitness on the U.S. side of the lake saw Tiffany Hartley being chased back to shore by an unknown boat.

"A person did see her coming in with a boat chasing her," the lawmaker told reporters.

Mexican authorities said they began searching the border lake Wednesday for Hartley's body -- almost one week after the 911 call from his wife reporting the alleged shooting.

The Mexican Foreign Ministry said Wednesday they have been coordinating a search "from the first moment" that Hartley reported Mexican pirates shot and killed her husband as they were riding Jet Skis across the lake last week. But Rios' comment suggests the search didn't begin until Texas Gov. Rick Perry called Mexican authorities late Tuesday to demand more action.

Ruben Rios, spokesman for Tamaulipas state prosecutors, said the search was suspended at 5 p.m. Wednesday because of bad weather conditions and was resumed Thursday morning.

Rios says authorities have been looking by air and in the lake, but he says, "so far they have found nothing."
    U.S. officials also said Thursday that the search has also been hindered because of threats of an ambush on the lake.

"There is a threat. There is a drug war going on in Mexico," Sheriff Sigifredo Gonzalez of Zapata County said during the press conference.

Perry said Wednesday he has asked Mexico's president to call him in the next 48 hours to say that the body of an American reportedly shot to death on a border lake has been recovered.

There is no word yet on whether such a call has taken place.

Rep. Solomon Ortiz said Thursday that Mexico is fully cooperating in the search to recover Hartley.

"There's no doubt that we see this as a cooperative effort," he said.

The U.S. State Department said in an e-mail sent to FoxNews.com Thursday that: "Mexican authorities are engaged in the search effort and the U.S. government has offered our assistance in that search."

Authorities: 'Info' Indicates U.S. Woman Had No Role in Husband's Death on Border Lake - FoxNews.com
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

It's still highly suspicious that the Mexicans in the boat chasing her did not kill her as well - they would not hesitate to kill a woman. Could have been staged; or she could be telling the truth. Just looks odd so far.
    Life is short. Break the Rules. Forgive Quickly. Kiss Slowly. Love Truly.
    Laugh Uncontrollably. And never regret ANYTHING that makes you smile.

- Mark Twain

^^Yeah, their statements really don't mean much; I'm sure the investigation is ongoing and if they treat her like a suspect she might lawyer up. Better to act like they're on her side and keep her talking.
    These people don't give a fuck about YOU or us. It's a message board, for Christ's sake. ~ mrs.v ~
    ~"Fuck off! Aim higher! Get a life! Get away from me!" ~the lovely and talented Miss Julia Roberts~

fgg

^^probably just waiting for her to trip herself up in these interviews.

Some of the things she has said just do NOT add up (in my head anyway). The fact she was trying to get him on her jetski, wouldn't that have given the pirates ample opportunity to put a few bullets in her as well? How close was she to his jetski? She had to have been pretty close if she saw him being shot in the back of the head---so she was behind him I guess?
    All these little things...

And why hasn't anyone found HIS jet ski, those things don't usually sink. It would just bob on the water.

She said she was ahead of her husband, fleeing, and he was right behind her. She glanced back and saw he had been shot and was flying forward off his jetski. She slowed up and turned around and went back to him.

She got off her jetski and swam up to him in the water, and had to turn him over, he was floating face down. When she turned him over, she saw the bullet hole in his forehead. She tried to get him up on her jetski, but he was to heavy. She SAYS that the boat with the pirates came closer to them, (how close I don't know) and they pointed the gun at her, so she let her husband go and got back on her jetski and fled.

She has also said that she thinks the pirates took her husband's body and the jetski so there was no evidence of the crime. But yet they let her go, an eye witness.

fgg

Quote Originally Posted by JadeStar70 View Post
    She SAYS that the boat with the pirates came closer to them, (how close I don't know) and they pointed the gun at her, so she let her husband go and got back on her jetski and fled.
    on the today show she said she was the length of her jet ski away, approx. 10 ft. she can't describe them though because all she could see was the gun. how convenient...

Police composite:

Well, that is damn close. You would think the pirates would have blown her head off, too. Then they could have taken both his and her bodies, the jetski, and no one would be the wiser!!

"She SAYS that the boat with the pirates came closer to them, (how close I don't know) and they pointed the gun at her, so she let her husband go and got back on her jetski and fled."

I swear this was a scene in a James Bond movie or ...on Lifetime.
    ...Stopped smoking on March 8, 2011. Was trying to put a fancy ticker in my signature but it didn't work...

The timeline of it all just doesn't jive with me....she got off her jetski and swam to her husband, turned him over and tried to get him on her jetski. That would have probably taken awhile--at least several minutes wouldn't you say? And yet the pirates were right there waving a gun around so they were close....

And yea, where the hell is the jetski?

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread Information